Do Everton need a CB

• Yes - Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough

Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need someone who is confident on the ball at centre half. This would solve many of our issues.

Jags isn't confident, therefore places effort concentrating on this, which is detrimental to his defending. Distin is too old.

They're both not ready for the scrap heap just yet, but we do need someone who genuinely competes for the position.

I can see Stones being phased in over the season, however I'd prefer another option before the window closes.

Lots of talk of getting a young CB in if we do decide to get one. I'm not sure on that, I think we could do with a 27/8 year old coming in. Someone who will be able to lead the defence for a couple of years as Stones, Galloway and Browning all mature.

They could come in and replace one of Distin or Jagielka for now and then partner Stones next year.

We've had two games where they were not fit, contained Arsenal for the first 80 minutes, and a game against a team that are just awesome and getting better.

We'll see an improvement over the coming weeks, but under Martinez we've never looked convincing and had a massive amount of luck at the back, its just the way we play to be honest.

No one closes down and we just stand around marking gaps, 8 of ours in the box against 2 strikers and my money would be on one striker finding the other and getting a shot away, its not the personnel we seem to be very stand off in the way we defend and were like it all last season, just trying to block runs, passes and clear shots rather than going to get the ball.

I'm not prepared to write off Jags or Distin yet, they've been consistently excellent for 5 years or so. Their form is a worry but I'm confident they can sort themselves out.

Let's not forget how good Stones can be as well. We will bring in a quality centre half but it will be next summer IMO.

Voted Yes, but not as a kneejerk reaction. Jags and Distin are likely to play themselves back into form, but their age means they're more likely to get injured and those injuries take longer to heal as you get older.

I'm happy with Stones as backup and he needs to play to gain experience, but Alcaraz is short of confidence and injury prone too. With the extra Europa League games we need more depth in this area. With Duffy going out I'd hope we bring someone else in who's first team worthy.

We have the best squad since the 80's, and yet people are still complaining after just one defeat.

One defeat in 3 games doesn't sound bad but 10 goals conceded in 3 does. Cant remember the last time that happened.

All the goals today were avoidable, its not like we were over committing and spaces were left, it was just [Poor language removed] defending. There's a blame on individuals here not the tactics, we need better players.

It is pretty much obvious to the majority of fans that by next summer we will have to get a CB anyway to replace Distin (Although he physically is still good enough i didnt like his standing off of costa today and matic aswell for the goal)

I was speaking to a mate earlier about it and we both mentioned has the "moyes effect" worn off after a full pre season with martinez implementing his complete defensive methods, it has to be remembered last season he based us on moyes' fundamental shape and then built around it, could it be possible that now after this "full" pre season to put it politely that the methods moyes taught are now long gone and we are seeing the methods martinez has used before aka wigan who for all there good attacking play were one of the worst teams around for defending.

The first goal is a good example of that for me, under moyes i don't imagine jagielka would have tried to play costa offside especially in the 1st minute of the game, we would have played it safe and hoped to nick a goal on a counter but always ensuring no risks are taken, i can't claim to have ever been a great footballer but whenever i played as a CB when i was younger the first rule i always gave myself was track the runner as its easier to see out the danger than risk allowing a man through onside. It just seems that this season and pre season martinez is trying to change up the fundamental way of how we defend which brings me on to my next point.

I can't be the only person thinking this and its not something i would imagine myself saying anytime soon but does anyone else get the feeling this isn't a martinez type of defence. I know it sounds off after how well we did last year but i feel the injury to oviedo has been as big a setback as anything because for me personally as much as i love baines, oviedo is more effective in the martinez system. When oviedo is back and if jags keeps up this form which makes the per kroldrup performance back in the day look half decent i could see martinez going for a back 4 similar to this;

Coleman - Stones - Distin - Oviedo

Then focusing next summers budget on a top level defender and finally seeing how he goes about having to build the defence himself as he never got it right at wigan.

Use the Barkley money to get Shawcross and bring Fellaini back.

1) Why would we sell Barkley when he's injured
2) Shawcross? Really? We don't need that thug in our defence
3) Fellaini's injured as well, cost him a loan move to Napoli

There's is no doubting today that if Stones was playing we would not have conceded 6. The problem is he should have been playing in the position our captain is playing in. How Martinez fixes that I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back