2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ancelotti has played 442 everywhere hes been tho mate, hes not just persisting with it to shoehorn DCL into the side.

What we need to do is sign a top CM or CB so the defence doesnt get exposed so much
I'd say that it's more a case of him always being able to find a way to fit in all of his better attacking players, whether as a midfield diamond to accommodate Kaka, Shevchenko and Inzaghi / Crespo at Milan, or a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema / Insigne, Mertens and Callejon at Real Madrid and Napoli. He doesn't strike me as being particularly rigid when it comes to formation, as we've seen with the occasional use of 3-5-2 since his arrival at Everton.

I prefer 4-3-3 with the squad we have plus a few additions next season. New RB, Mina, Holgate, Digne, JPG holding, Gomes up and down, a more attacking CM on the left (preferably a leftie), Richy wide left forward, DCL, a new wide right forward.
Yeah, I'm a fan of a three-pronged attack and the kind of midfield set-up you've described. I'd expect Calvert-Lewin's goals to dry up in that system, but he's earned another crack at it with his recent form, and it wouldn't really matter anyway as long as his link work was strong. Personally, I think he'll need to be upgraded if the club is serious about playing Champions League football, but I get the impression that he's going to be given at least another season as the main man.

Yeah, I'm a fan of a three-pronged attack and the kind of midfield set-up you've described. I'd expect Calvert-Lewin's goals to dry up in that system, but he's earned another crack at it with his recent form, and it wouldn't really matter anyway as long as his link work was strong. Personally, I think he'll need to be upgraded if the club is serious about playing Champions League football, but I get the impression that he's going to be given at least another season as the main man.

Hmm maybe but he's always in the right places and would have two players to play with instead of the one he has now (Richy). I still think if he chipped in with 10-15 every season but facilitated a lot of other goals then he'd become undroppable. I think we need a midfielder that can score/assist from the middle but isn't a luxury player like Gylfi.

I'd say that it's more a case of him always being able to find a way to fit in all of his better attacking players, whether as a midfield diamond to accommodate Kaka, Shevchenko and Inzaghi / Crespo at Milan, or a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema / Insigne, Mertens and Callejon at Real Madrid and Napoli. He doesn't strike me as being particularly rigid when it comes to formation, as we've seen with the occasional use of 3-5-2 since his arrival at Everton.

I get what youre saying and I agree that he'll be flexible with the formation when he needs to.

But your original post suggested that he's only playing 442 because it suits DCL, and that the only way to make sure the defence doesnt get exposed is by changing formation. Neither of which are true

Hmm maybe but he's always in the right places and would have two players to play with instead of the one he has now (Richy). I still think if he chipped in with 10-15 every season but facilitated a lot of other goals then he'd become undroppable. I think we need a midfielder that can score/assist from the middle but isn't a luxury player like Gylfi.
If he keeps working at his game, he could have an excellent career playing this type of role. For me, he'll need to add more finesse to his hold-up game if he wants to rise above mid-table football, but time is still very much on his side.

I would certainly prioritise finding a new right-winger and attacking midfielder in the short-term.

Last edited:

I get what youre saying and I agree that he'll be flexible with the formation when he needs to.

But your original post suggested that he's only playing 442 because it suits DCL, and that the only way to make sure the defence doesnt get exposed is by changing formation. Neither of which are true
Well, we won't know for certain until he brings a couple of his own players in, but I believe that the current system is his response to inheriting a limited group that aren't capable of producing quality football.

I will be very surprised if he's still conceding the middle of the park and being so direct in possession next season.

Well, we won't know for certain until he brings a couple of his own players in, but I believe that the current system is his response to inheriting a limited group that aren't capable of producing quality football.

I will be very surprised if he's still conceding the middle of the park and being so direct in possession next season.
There was an article a few months ago saying 442 was his preferred formation in his early days, and he had to veer away from that because of the players he inherited when he joined AC Milan, and was similar in other high profile jobs. According to that he prefers 442 because he was influenced by Arrigo Sacchi, and it speculated as to whether he sees us as a blank canvas where he can get back to that kind of system. I guess the transfer window and how we line up next season will be revealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.