2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old do you think DCL is?

He is 24 pal, when aguero was 24 he was playing for city.

Aguero got 17 league goals for athletico when he was 18.
He got 17 goals for City in 2012/2013.

That wa a low year. Of course Aguero is a better striker than DCL, but age is on DCL’s side.

He is still improving, but needs better service. I don’t think he will ever be the kind of striker to make many of his own chances., but he has shown he can put them away.

The idea that we should be getting rid of him is ridiculous.

Dom is one of about seven players I’d actually keep. Good development this season.
Also, the two or three people I’ve seen calling him lazy is pathetic. Dom works all game, every game, only difference is this season Carlo has told him not to waste his time running channels and to stay in the box ready for a chance, unlike before when he was often out of position and scored less.

He got 17 goals for City in 2012/2013.

That wa a low year. Of course Aguero is a better striker than DCL, but age is on DCL’s side.

He is still improving, but needs better service. I don’t think he will ever be the kind of striker to make many of his own chances., but he has shown he can put them away.

The idea that we should be getting rid of him is ridiculous.

Ok fair enough but you used DCLs age as a reference to aguero saying he had this many at this age, despite the fact aguero had scored 20-30 goals every season since he was 17/18 so don't think it's the same thing tbh

Our midfield is horrible and most strikers would struggle to score, but this idea that he doesn't ever get chances is daft he had a chance yesterday ( not an easy one ) but he could have done better.

A

Between 23/24

Aguero played 64 league games / 35 goals
DCL played 68 league games / 29 goals

If ever stats where misleading here zat.

Could have used the stat, goals scored aged 24<

Aguero is Played 378 scored 172

DCL is played 210 scored 60

I took out the 5 goals DCL scored on loan at the conference.

They aren't even comparable

Ok fair enough but you used DCLs age as a reference to aguero saying he had this many at this age, despite the fact aguero had scored 20-30 goals every season since he was 17/18 so don't think it's the same thing tbh

Our midfield is horrible and most strikers would struggle to score, but this idea that he doesn't ever get chances is daft he had a chance yesterday ( not an easy one ) but he could have done better.

A
In the grand scheme of things, DCL is not an issue. I think he would score more with better service.

We seem to huff and puff to make a single chance. City created loads of chances for their forwards.

When I look at the team over the year, my overriding memory is reaching the half way line and passing backwards. Hardly any of the midfielders take the ball on the turn and go forward. That is where I see the problem.

In the grand scheme of things, DCL is not an issue. I think he would score more with better service.

We seem to huff and puff to make a single chance. City created loads of chances for their forwards.

When I look at the team over the year, my overriding memory is reaching the half way line and passing backwards. Hardly any of the midfielders take the ball on the turn and go forward. That is where I see the problem.

Yer I agree we don't create enough, problems in this squad is huge and all over the pitch, still though I think we need a top striker if want to fight for the teams in Europe as I still wouldn't trust DCL to put chances consistently if they were created for him

A brilliant season for him.
I don't think people have a proper appreciation for how bad our creative play was and how thankless his task became after about October. It is hardly surprising that his finishing got a bit worse when he wasn't constantly getting opportunities. Fix the rest of the team and I think the sky really is the limit for him.

This is definitely true but I think one of the problems with how creative we are is that him and Richarlison aren't great with the ball at their feet/link up play.

Yer I agree we don't create enough, problems in this squad is huge and all over the pitch, still though I think we need a top striker if want to fight for the teams in Europe as I still wouldn't trust DCL to put chances consistently if they were created for him
I wouldn’t say no to a top striker, I just can’t see who we would get.
Danny Ings has not scored as many as DCL this season. He has had two good seasons in his career and a lot of poor ones.
He may be worth bringing to complement DCL, but not to replace him.

He’s very good in the air, works hard, very average to poor on the deck and needs them on a plate as his overall finishing isn’t very good.
Can get better with better players around him I think, but not with this load of rabble.

I wouldn’t say no to a top striker, I just can’t see who we would get.
Danny Ings has not scored as many as DCL this season. He has had two good seasons in his career and a lot of poor ones.
He may be worth bringing to complement DCL, but not to replace him.

Oh ye finding a top striker is a massive problem on its own as there aren't many out there, especially for a club like us.

I like Ings but I wouldn't go anywhere near him because of his injuries, got enough of those type of players already

He’s very good in the air, works hard, very average to poor on the deck and needs them on a plate as his overall finishing isn’t very good.
Can get better with better players around him I think, but not with this load of rabble.
Lukaku aside, the last pmm on Ayer to score more than DCL in the league for us was Tony Cottee in 93/94, and before that it was Lineker.
He is a good striker and with proper service, could score more.

He has top end pace when he gets going. We need him to start backing himself to run defenders. Modern forwards have to be able to carry the ball.

I don't think it's something you can develop easily. I think we need to get really good players around him who create so he just concentrates on finding space.

It's why I think him and Richarlison don't complement each other. Both better off when they're having the chances provided for them than the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back