2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs to do more than score a few taps in during a purple patch to play for the big boys

Well, not really if those 'big boys' are teams that create tons of chances.

You put Dom in that City squad, for example, and he'd bag loads.

We just stopped playing to his strengths - or were stopped playing to his strengths - in the back half of the season. The few chances he got that were ones in the width of the six-yard box, he still scored, there was that one glaring miss against Sheff Utd aside.

We know he needs to improve running through on goal, but then again how many times did we actually get him in those positions? I can count 4 through the season. It should be 4 per match.

I like Dom don't get wrong but personally think he's to nice. He's doesn't dominate CBs enough for me, That's just my very humble opinion.

I mean he literally ran Kompany and Otamendi ragged four years ago.

The other night he got a booking for jumping the height of a centre-back.

I very much doubt Craig Dawson was thrilled to be playing against him when he got turned by him in that win over West Ham.

We just stopped playing to his strengths - or were stopped playing to his strengths - in the back half of the season. The few chances he got that were ones in the width of the six-yard box, he still scored, there was that one glaring miss against Sheff Utd aside.

We know he needs to improve running through on goal, but then again how many times did we actually get him in those positions? I can count 4 through the season. It should be 4 per match.

I shudder to think how many he'd score for the vermin across the park with Terrence Trent D'Arby and the smackhead whipping crosses in. I think he'd score more than incestunkhamun.

Triggered a few here... Listen I like Dom and just more from him. That's it.

Think we all want more from him. We know he has weaknesses, his link up play with other forwards being one and his composure when given time definitely another.

Just think it was a weird critique to make, whether you were wanting to trigger people or not. I can't imagine any defender currently enjoys playing against the lad.

Think we all want more from him. We know he has weaknesses, his link up play with other forwards being one and his composure when given time definitely another.

Just think it was a weird critique to make, whether you were wanting to trigger people or not. I can't imagine any defender currently enjoys playing against the lad.
Its not a weird critique...its called an opinion, and it's my opinion that I want more from him and he's still not nasty enough for my liking.

Its not a weird critique...its called an opinion, and it's my opinion that I want more from him and he's still not nasty enough for my liking.

Yeah, but it's good to back up an opinion with evidence isn't it, or an example of where he needs to be 'nastier'?

Do you want him elbowing defenders, because he did that a few weeks ago and Andy Hinchcliffe wanted him sent off. Or leaping over defenders - he did that on Wednesday...

Or is it the Lukaku type, shoving defenders off with just brute strength that you're after?

Yeah, but it's good to back up an opinion with evidence isn't it, or an example of where he needs to be 'nastier'?

Do you want him elbowing defenders, because he did that a few weeks ago and Andy Hinchcliffe wanted him sent off. Or leaping over defenders - he did that on Wednesday...

Or is it the Lukaku type, shoving defenders off with just brute strength that you're after?
Yeah more brute strength, shoving, hussle,all within the rules obviously but pushing to the limit. Similar to Kane in a way. He got all the tools I just want that edge to his game which I think is lacking.

I like Dom don't get wrong but personally think he's to nice. He's doesn't dominate CBs enough for me, That's just my very humble opinion.

….really see the opposite, there’s only a few CBs I see controlling him, he’s a proper handful. When asked if Rodriguez was the toughest to mark in training, Holgate & Godfrey both said DCL is the worst, he jumps so high you end up with his knee in your face.

I notice on the pitch, he doesn’t go out of his way to pick defenders up when they go to ground. I think he purposely wants an edge on them.

….I actually thought watching the European Cup Final that DCL would have been effective for either side, especially Man City. City usually try and score the perfect goal but they draw/lose against well organised, determined defending. DCL would be a really good option for them in certain games.

Last edited:
Yeah more brute strength, shoving, hussle,all within the rules obviously but pushing to the limit. Similar to Kane in a way. He got all the tools I just want that edge to his game which I think is lacking.
Kane is the England/Media superstar so DCL is never going to get away with what Kane does, i mean if Dom tried that thing Kane does with the ducking under people in the air he would get a red card i imagine whereas Kane gets away with it all the time even though it's blatant dangerous play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back