2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like every player in this position before him I think if he’s doing his maximum and the team is holding him back, then fine he can go with good grace.

Sometimes though the player needs to realise the outcomes they want themselves. Lukaku being a case in point ‘I want to win trophies’, well when we were in a cup semi final with Palace waiting in the final you missed numerous one on ones and a penalty. Same with DCL wanting Europe, if he’d put away any of those chances against Palace, Sheffield United, Burnley etc. we more than likely make europe.

So I’m all for players moving on if we genuinely are holding them back, but half the time they’re part of the reason we’re not progressing and they want to move to a club where they can win by default without having to be good.

As much as it burns us as loyal fans when a player seems to suggest he has outgrown us in terms of ambition and potential, I find it very hard to get exercised about players who are demonstrably "too good" for where we are or where we are going in the timeframe of that player's career. That said, over the last 20 years, the truth is very, very few players or managers have been "too good" for Everton - as their subsequent careers proved.

The obvious one is Wayne Rooney - clearly we were never ever going to be the right platform for such a genius level talent - though I thought he could have given us two more seasons and still been a superstar. The other really obvious one is Romelu Lukaku. He may not have been a roaring success at Manchester United, for various reasons, but he's clearly become a top rank player at Inter and is likely to be a major player in this summer's Euro.

The others that have gone over the years include Arteta and Lescott. Arteta won a few cups and captained an Arsenal in terminal decline. I don't think we could characterise his move as a failure, but it wasn't an unquestionable success either. Lescott won titles at City - but here's the kicker. He should have been one part of the English central defence at the Brazil World Cup. Instead, the man who stayed at Everton was - Phil Jagielka. So, Lescott certainly won his medals, but even they came at a cost as he fell down the pecking order quickly and his career fizzled out at international level when had he stayed he would likely have been with Jags as Stephen Gerrard headed the ball over their heads into the path of Luis Suarez.

Oh.

Anyway, I love the hubris of the players who "think" they are better than Everton but whose performances have, essentially, been central to why Everton "underachieve". I think it's great DCL is showing ambition. If he continues to develop like he has - and we don't - then he will outgrow us within 18 months. If he continues to miss the copious quantities of one-on-ones he has in the second half of this season, he will be very much punching above his weight holding down a position as Everton's number 9.

TBF is someone comes in with any more than £20m it would be good business. Ive always liked him but he isn’t the quality we need if we want to improve. Of course we aren’t improving and he will leave for a better club but lets not forget only last season most of the people on here were calling him championship level. I’d like him to stay and become an Everton legend by banging in 20 goals a season for the rest if his career but thats not likely.

TBF is someone comes in with any more than £20m it would be good business. Ive always liked him but he isn’t the quality we need if we want to improve. Of course we aren’t improving and he will leave for a better club but lets not forget only last season most of the people on here were calling him championship level. I’d like him to stay and become an Everton legend by banging in 20 goals a season for the rest if his career but thats not likely.
20 mil hahaha - want what you’ve been smoking this morning me lad

20 mil hahaha - want what you’ve been smoking this morning me lad
I know its high but that is what he is worth today. If someone stupid comes in for 50 then it’s obviously a no brainier. Think mid season there was an 80 number banded about from UTD in the papers but that obviously was a lie.

I would love to see him, Davies and Gylfi playing champions league next season. Hopefully Brands can arrange this for him

Does make you laugh though, was less than 12 months ago this lad wasn’t even sure he could make it in the premier league. Everton give him a platform to finally find a bit of good form then after half a season of playing well he’s putting out how he wants to be playing CL football. He has a long way to go before the top clubs would look at him seriously. They would not tolerate some of his lax touches, poor finishing, and inability to press recently.

Does make you laugh though, was less than 12 months ago this lad wasn’t even sure he could make it in the premier league. Everton give him a platform to finally find a bit of good form then after half a season of playing well he’s putting out how he wants to be playing CL football. He has a long way to go before the top clubs would look at him seriously. They would not tolerate some of his lax touches, poor finishing, and inability to press recently.
Wish half the squad had his ambition to improve and play at the highest level, the whole squad should be aiming for Champions League, not settling to be average and he’s improved each year so far to show he wants to keep getting better - He’s not said anything bad and he’s the one whose taken his chance when given it due to hard work, he’s always backed himself to play in the prem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back