2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southgate did not say that

"We had Marcus Rashford on penalties then James Ward-Prowse but both came off. We expected Dominic Calvert-Lewin to take it and I was expecting Hendo to go over to him and let him take it. We will pull rank next time."
Watch his interview in the press room mate...

The Echo have even tweeted it,
he says he shouldn't have give him it him a being striker.

You are not going to get very far by telling your captain to k'off no matter how much of bell end he is. Down to Southgate to manage his team properly which he clearly isn't doing. Keane hates Everton and will always look to blame Everton players for absolutely anything. It is all on Southgate and Henderbell as far as i am concerned.

Watch his interview in the press room mate...

The Echo have even tweeted it,
he says he shouldn't have give him it him a being striker.
Fair enough, haven’t seen that later interview.

Think it stupid myself - as a manager you should have made it clear who was on penalties before the game and expect your captain in particular to play for the team and not himself rather than expect players to play tug of war over the ball.

For one season. He has always massively underperformed or performed at his best for his quality. Most people on here were saying he is championship level at best, after one good season he is worth 80m?? No chance! If an offer comes for him higher than 30 I think wed be mad to say no. Of course we have no one to fill his boots. I like i said, I’d love for him to stay and be the best player the world has ever seen but that isn’t likely.

I mean, there are many shades of grey between “£20m player”, “£80m player” and “the best player the world has ever seen”.

My point was only that he is never a £20m player in today’s market - and he isn’t.

TBF is someone comes in with any more than £20m it would be good business.
Jesus Christ I’ve heard it all now.

£20m?!
I think it’s past your bedtime mate.

Just for reference, by saying “any more than £20m” you’re saying he’s potentially worth less than Rhian Brewster.

That’s Rhian Brewster with… *checks notes*… zero goals in 34 games while playing for a Premier League side.

Night night fella.

Jesus Christ I’ve heard it all now.

£20m?!
I think it’s past your bedtime mate.

Just for reference, by saying “any more than £20m” you’re saying he’s potentially worth less than Rhian Brewster.

That’s Rhian Brewster with… *checks notes*… zero goals in 34 games while playing for a Premier League side.

Night night fella\
This guy is a wum. Anyone else in the England Squad worth £20M? Nope.
He goes for nothing less than £70m - we would struggle to find some to fill hisboots with that money.

Clear abuse of the captaincy by Henderson. There was no way Dom was going to cause a scene when Henderson demanded the ball in the last friendly before the Euros. He just handed Henderson enough rope and stayed out of it. I think that was wise.

Clearly Henderson's insecure about the fact he's never scored for England. Hopefully that's a lesson learnt. Pretty unprofessional and quite embarrassing in the end, but ultimately inconsequential, as it was a friendly.

Just heard Southgate say (not word for word) "if I'd been a striker I wouldn't have let Henderson get away with that so easily".

Henderson is the captain, it was a friendly. How on earth does that reflect badly on anyone other than Henderson? I don't know if he's said anything else since, but I thought it was a really poor response from Southgate to indicate that DCL did anything wrong.

…I wouldn’t get too concerned about it, Matey. The doubters look for any morsel they can before scurrying off until his next gaff. He was once regularly referred to as a ‘Championship Player’, It’s not a reasoned discussion.
Ridiculous anyone would question his mentality based on that. But you're right

Just heard Southgate say (not word for word) "if I'd been a striker I wouldn't have let Henderson get away with that so easily".

Henderson is the captain, it was a friendly. How on earth does that reflect badly on anyone other than Henderson? I don't know if he's said anything else since, but I thought it was a really poor response from Southgate to indicate that DCL did anything wrong.
It also sets an expectation for any player to argue with any captain on the pitch if they don’t get to take a penalty they feel they should which seems a recipe for chaos in the future.

Call me crazy but “Make a clear penalty taker order pre match, get your captain to enforce that order” seems a lot simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back