2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it’s so bizarre this narrative that’s been invented out of thin air that all our fans thought Lukaku and Stones were crap and hounded them out. People moaned about Lukaku chatting crap on international duty, and Stones told the Park End to calm down once because he did a Cruyff turn in his own six yard box with Son breathing down his neck. That is basically the sum total of the criticisms they got.

Its the same 2 posters who continue to post exactly the same narrative and go on and on and on and on about Stones and Lukaku. They've turned their attention now to Pickford and constantly blame the fans.

I couldn't care less if it is psychological, or physical, he should have either been replaced, or had 2 good backups.

That's not on Dom.

It's more infuriating having to rely so much on him.
If it really is more Psychological, then its even more of tragedy on our parts. All we have done by not finding adequate replacements is feed the beast that is eating him up. We've increased the burden and pressure on his shoulders and that is beyond shocking.
Not just for us, but for the lad himself...

You want your forwards to be able to create chances themselves. There are very few traditional centre forwards in the league any more who are just box strikers.

Creating chances is everyone's responsibility, including the centre forward.
His one goal this season was basically entirely his own work. He also creates chances for others when we play it right because of his presence.

How Dom needs to ensure he creates chances for himself is being in the right place at the right time, making sharper runs etc. But that does mean the service has to be there too.

I'm not talking about him standing in the box and waiting around, btw, but he doesn't do that when we play it right.

He's never going to be a forward who can drill one in from 25 yards, but we know what he is and what he's good at, which also involves bringing others into play and making other players better.

Maupay, for example, can drill one in like we saw he did v West Ham - DCL would probably never score that kind of goal. But what Maupay can't do is bring other players into the game like Dom did v Arsenal, or shrug by a CB like they're not there like he did in the Palace match.

This club has always been cursed with injuries
This is a case of serious mismanagement of a player at the very start of a serious injury by a manager who should never have been here in the first place.

Then it's been a knock-on effect.

I've said it tons of times on here - that quad injury Dom got was as bad as Gbamin's. So I don't know why we expected different results.

It completely messes up the rest of the body, too.

I also don't really get what people mean by 'create their own chances', other than they want to see a player hit one from 30 yards or take on five players.

Dom, as I said, created something out of nothing for the only goal he's scored this season, yet people seem to have glossed over that.

Did Haaland create his goal the other day? No, he didn't. And as we've seen recently with him, even when he's making those runs and doing all of the same stuff, unless the ball is getting to him then even he, who is worlds away from what Dom will ever be, can't just magic something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back