Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably already is goals per minute.

Such is the task of an Everton number 9.

Like a stuck record but Calvert-Lewin is clearly bang out of form, and I wish I could just be thinking lash Beto in, or Chermiti but unfortunately - I think they're miles away from being able to carry the attack in this Everton team.

Doucoure isn't a proper number 10 and we give him the added task of box to box. We dont have any full back who can cross a ball.

People talk about Calvert-Lewin under Ancelotti - it was because he was told to stay within the 6 yard box lines, and wait for balls for Digne, Sigurdsson, Rodriguez... even Walcott etc.

We don't have that at all now, today we had 2 full backs and 2 wingers start a game who all can't cross a ball.
Also we’re trying to play counter attacking and it worked once today just from a straight ball, but like you say our wingers are also quite slow, so hard to play counter attacking football, when you don’t have fast players and technically your forwards aren’t the best

Also we’re trying to play counter attacking and it worked once today just from a straight ball, but like you say our wingers are also quite slow, so hard to play counter attacking football, when you don’t have fast players and technically your forwards aren’t the best

Don't disagree with this but I don't see why it's always someone else fault our striker is crap and doesn't score goals.

He can't play him in behind because he'll miss, we can't cross the ball to him because he jumps to early,.he offers nothing

He's our best overall centre forward, but he's still gash as a finisher.

There must be better out there who, over a whole season, will be more effective for us given the style of footy we are playing.

Sell in the summer if the price is right!

Why? What has Beto done to earn that? Nothing. At least DCL gets near the goal.

These are the only two guys we have and will get, they need to be much, much better.
You are slightly missing the point…Beto has NOT yet had a run if games….hence my point….Also…’DCL gets near the goal’ did you really just say that, expectations surely arnt that low

Are you showing me that Calvert Lewin scores a league goal every 383 minutes this season, and Beto every 536? If so, that wouldn't really back up your argument mate.

I judge it from what I can see, and Calvert Lewin, even though he's bang out of form - can play that role for us.

Beto, like Maupay before him, can't IMO. He's not had enough time to be so conclusive and hopefully he can eventually, but so far, he's no Calvert-Lewin replacement IMO.

But you think Beto is a better number 9 than Calvert-Lewin?

Fair enough.

I hope you're right.

I predicted Maupay would outscore goals per minute Beto this season an a few took the piss, factoring in how difficult that role is for a striker at Everton, and you know what? He will.
You're a level headed person, and surely you know that coming in for the last 10-15 mins of a match is more difficult than starting and playing the first 70 mins.
The reality is that we created just as many chances with Beto on as Dom. People saying we "controlled the game better with Dom" are completely forgetting the first 35 mins of the match where we were pinned back in our own half.
DCL is slightly better at holding up the ball, but I can't help but think if Beto had played the same amount of minutes a DCL, his goal tally would bee higher than 3. Maybe it's simplistic, but I want a center forward who is an actual threat to score and that clearly isn't DCL. And hasn't been for going on 3 years now.

Interesting decision needs to be made on his contract. 18 months left, basically nobody would sign him for a fee, he isn't worth what he was previously given wages wise and yet a club in our position also can't afford to just lose him for nothing

There is a reason why the fans have never had a song for him. He's a striker that doesn't score. Ok when you have Mane and Salah either side of you but in our team we need someone who gets you gols.

Richarlison was poor at times but he has the ability to put the ball in the back of the net.
Because he has a double barrelled surname so hard to make a rhyme out of it

There’s another reason why some fans don’t take to him, and it’s not for on or off field stuff. It’s because he was pushed into the team far too early by an arrogant manager and played in all sorts of positions, instead of being loaned out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back