Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good in the air?
Holds the ball up?
What have you been watching? He constantly mistimes his jumps for headers and when he does connect the ball rarely finds its target player or area. His hold up play the last 18 months has been disgraceful and half-hearted.
He is all we have and it is unlikely anyone else is on the horizon but please continue ripping him to shreds.

The best Everton striker is always the one that isn't playing. Maupay was absolutely horrendous for us. Calvert lewin is having a shocker at the moment, but not in a million years would I have rondon or maupay over him.
There's always something wrong with our forwards. They're never good enough for some, no matter how well they play or if they score goals.

If Lukaku and Yak got flak for being lazy and/or having technical deficits despite banging them in, what chance do Dom and Beto have?

I'm just enjoying the back and forth in here. Always good for a chuckle. Someone will be along to say he'd score 70 a season if he played for City soon enough...

Last edited:
The Luton centre backs barely gave him a sniff on Saturday.

At least when he was younger he would fight for, and win, a lot of our long kicks up field. Now he rarely seems to get close let alone win a header.
Few seasons back when he had an England cap I remember him getting a yellow card for accidentally kicking a guy in the head when he jumped above him to win a header. He doesn't seem to have quite the same spring now to me. Maybe it's injury related - either he can't, or doesn't want to potentially hurt himself. I dunno. At the same time, the season he scored lots of goals with Carlo, he was basically a poacher. But we don't seem anywhere near enough to their goal for him to play that role. The goal he scored against West Ham aside, I can't remember him scoring goals from outside the box, so he needs to be in there to score.
So I wonder if there's a bit of both going on: injuries taking their toll on his strengths and the way we play exposing his weaknesses. Fingers crossed he can get some form back soon, as it looks like we need him as much as ever.

Different team midfield wise to ours ....I am only interested in the blues plus as you stated this is a DCL thread- it's like comparing apples & pears- only Braithwaite would get in their side ..anyway.
Maybe this year but Liverpool have consistently bypassed their midfield as a tactic for years. Long ball over the top and rely on the quality of their strikers. Different topic entirely but the point is good strikers don't need things served up to them.

Maybe this year but Liverpool have consistently bypassed their midfield as a tactic for years. Long ball over the top and rely on the quality of their strikers. Different topic entirely but the point is good strikers don't need things served up to them.

Some of our fans have a very limited knowledge of the game and think the job of a centre forward is to stand still in and around the box and wait for sitters to present themselves. Like they don’t have to do anything themselves like make a clever run to lose a marker, gamble running in behind and risk being offside, knowing when to pull back into space for a cutback, knowing when to run across the near post or drift to the back post. Nope. Just stand there and something will land at your feet eventually.

Some of our fans have a very limited knowledge of the game and think the job of a centre forward is to stand still in and around the box and wait for sitters to present themselves. Like they don’t have to do anything themselves like make a clever run to lose a marker, gamble running in behind and risk being offside, knowing when to pull back into space for a cutback, knowing when to run across the near post or drift to the back post. Nope. Just stand there and something will land at your feet eventually.

Don't be an idiot Mike. No one thinks that's the sole job of a centre forward. All people are correctly saying is when we have had proven success with OUR centre forward doing this, why do the exact opposite?

Don't be an idiot Mike. No one thinks that's the sole job of a centre forward. All people are correctly saying is when we have had proven success with OUR centre forward doing this, why do the exact opposite?

That proven success has proven to be a blip though. In the same season under the same manager with the same players supplying him, he reverted to type and scored 4 in 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back