Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
People really do underestimate form and confidence in the game. It's massive.

The lad just needs a goal - it'll come, and he'll play a massive, positive part in our season.

He's our best striker by some margin, and we aren't getting anyone in who'd be better.

Can we also knock the fashion comments nonsense on the head? It does the forum no good at all.

Why not? Luton signed Adebayo from literally a League 2 side, he’s trebled DCL’s goal return this season.

Because we can't spend.

And even if we could, we've just paid £30m for Beto.

As for Adebayo - goes back to my point about form and confidence. I mean, Maupay scored 10, 8 and 8 Prem League goals before rocking up at Everton. Those numbers would have been brilliant for us. Why do strikers almost always perform worse at Everton?

The fact we spent so much money on a complete dud in Beto is our own fault, there are absolutely hundreds of strikers out there we could’ve got for the same price or cheaper that would’ve been better.

Why wasn’t he confident after scoring a few earlier in the season? Could it simply be a matter of ability and not confidence do you reckon? Because his previous back catalogue aside from the blip season in front of no fans suggests he’s par for the course currently.

People have pointed out his technical flaws loads of times on here. He’s just not composed and doesn’t strike the ball cleanly, that’s nothing to do with confidence.

?

The point is, in this window - I've said we aren't improving on Calvert-Lewin, you asked why not and I've told you because we can't spend.

As for Beto, I doubt many teams in the summer would entertain paying £0 upfront.

Yeah but then the same people will big up DCL on here even though Wood is outperforming him.

I've shared my opinion on Wood, to you coincidentally about his importance here, and again when Forest signed him;

Clever signing that Wood.

... he's a good player, and would have been worth a few places in the league for us, albeit a stopgap.

Maupay was a weird one I don't think we used him very well and he just seemed to bottle it a bit to me there was a lot of expectation and after some bad games and good chances missed he went missing instead of standing up and proving people wrong. I don't think theres that many other strikers we've had who've been much worse here than you would expect based on their career though.

I just think he was never a number 9 for Everton mate, and certainly not a Dyche striker. Actual number 9s in Calvert-Lewin struggle. He'll play off Toney and outscore our strikers - certainly goals per minute, as I predicted he would. I rate him in that role and certainly considering he cost what we paid for Chermiti but yeah, never the right profile in this team. He'll score elsewhere, as he always has, but not here.

Calvert-Lewin is a very good player, he's just bang out of form and in a team that is a graveyard for strikers.

Ancelotti knew the score, keep him central/between the 6 yard lines and have Digne,Sigurdsson,Rodriguez,Walcott etc find him - we don't have that now. We have Mykolenko, Young, Coleman, Patterson... and now Godfrey at full back, and absolutely no pace out wide, or crosses. Then you look in the middle of the park and there's not one player there who has any nous to play a forward ball.

We wouldn’t be in the bottom three without a points deduction. Maybe you should direct your anger at that instead of a player because you don’t like their ‘man-bun’
But we’re in it as of now and as he said don’t look like getting out squads awful and has been for years people hanging on the hopes that a fit DCL was the missing piece of the puzzle when in fact we’re poor all over the pitch that’s where the previous 2 seasons results come from and dyches over achievements this season is now showing exactly that we was overachieving

The great thing is he’ll score eventually and loads of people will flock to this thread to vault people and try and make out that anyone who’s criticised him for not scoring for sixteen games and missing countless sitters, is an idiot. The facts are, he will score again at some point, and he’s still a poor to average striker who will never score consistently in football matches played in front of fans.

The great thing is he’ll score eventually and loads of people will flock to this thread to vault people and try and make out that anyone who’s criticised him for not scoring for sixteen games and missing countless sitters, is an idiot. The facts are, he will score again at some point, and he’s still a poor to average striker who will never score consistently in football matches played in front of fans.
Sorry but no one can be vaulted for not being happy with him not scoring in that amount of games it’s piss poor he’s had chances and fluffed them. He’s crap it’s as simple as that

I just said I look forward to his next shoot (I think it’s refreshing that a footballer has an healthy hobby outside of the sport) and someone said he looks silly wearing skirts whilst not scoring goals.

OK, but you still brought it up though right when no-one else had mentioned it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back