2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, I said the counterargument may that it had been a purple patch, in reference to your post showing his scoring form at the time and 'short memories'.

Emphasis on the modal verb ‘may’, in that I don't think it's unjustified for people to infer that it does not definitely evidence he is a player of that calibre.

Have I, definitively, said it was a purple patch? Maybe I didn't say it clearly enough, but the point was those against Dom may use it as a counter.

My hope is that it wasn't a period of excess, and rather I do feel he has the ability to do well for us if he can rekindle his form, and the team assist him.

Yet, to counter-that, I do think he has to question and improve some parts of his game if he's going to break his duck; some of the missed chances are poor.

I do think he may score 10-12 elsewhere, and I do not think that's too conflicting in how I have praised and supported him over numerous years.

To add, his best career totals are 15 and 21, so it would be an improvement on his current totals, while not reaching the heights of 21-23. Is that unjustified?

Lots of people who dislike Dom say he's here, you think he's there, whereas I am unapologetically somewhere in the middle, but more leaning towards you.

Where have I said that? Genuinely, I'd like you to (like I've mentioned) trawl through my posts where I've said or perspicuously inferred anything of the such.

The reference to those players is based on the stats. Yes, I am not a fan of xG (again, look on here), but people will use statistics to support an argument.

When you put that, his goals per minute, overall goal tally together over his career, people will (in their eyes) justifiable paint a picture of a player.

It was you who raised the point that he scored x-number of goals through the tweet, so again does that not open the discussion of his other stats?

As do I - again, have a look. Nevertheless, when you objectively compare the likes of Jiminez and co. with Dom, my point was it was difficult for me to argue.

If people without our blue tinted glasses (or simply do not have the hope we have or need) are saying x, y and z about him, it adds to those who don't like him.*

There's a fair few non-Blues on here (@Alan Whittle, @Yid4life etc.) and I do wonder what their take is on him, both current and previously.

And to a final point: you say I am disingenuous. That's fine, but thinly veiled passive-aggressive comments for anything that counter a view is quite sour.

*which I'm not a part of.

I like his dress sense.

He is a competent Premier League striker. I doubt any of the 'Big 6' (I hate that term BTW) would buy him.

I think Beto needs balls behind the lines/to run onto. I don't think he's a focal point/can hold on to the ball like Calvert-Lewin. Time will tell. I think Beto needs time.

if we didn't get a point deduction, we're 12th. If Calvert-Lewin had scored just 2 since his last goal, there's not the current debate IMO.
I still maintain any striker this badly out of form does not deserve their place in the team. I can't think of many other players who've been constantly as poor get such an extended run, unless there were no options to change things. We have options now in that area. We will never know how much better or worse our other options would be if they never get a game. And that really is all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back