2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

If roles were reversed and Watkins was an Everton striker the entire team I doubt he would have improved much. We are a deathbed for strikers.
Watkins can make a chance for himself though, that's why signing a player like Gyokeres was a good idea (in theory) he can do that lone role but doesn't need the support that Dom seems to need. We are only a deathbed because we have had an obsession with slightly defensive negative football at the club (apart from maybe Martinez) over recent years, which has seen us end up with a number of totally unsuitable individuals in the managerial role who are very out of touch with what's required of players and teams in the modern game.

Watkins can make a chance for himself though, that's why signing a player like Gyokeres was a good idea (in theory) he can do that lone role but doesn't need the support that Dom seems to need. We are only a deathbed because we have had an obsession with slightly defensive negative football at the club (apart from maybe Martinez) over recent years, which has seen us end up with a number of totally unsuitable individuals in the managerial role who are very out of touch with what's required of players and teams in the modern game.
Well yes, exactly.

This a very valid point and I’d like to explore the reasons behind this curious phenomenon please. Who may be to blame for this?
A old L4 urban legend is during 85/86 season gary lineker made a deal with the devil he finishes top scorer in the league and World Cup and in return Everton had to lose the double and the world had to put up with his brother Wayne ,their has been a curse round goodison ever since effecting everything from winning trophy’s to our strikers being crap , this one of the real reasons Everton decided to leave goodison and move to Bramley-Moore

Over 2 years?

Ancelotti preferred him as a number 9 to Richarlison.

The true acid test will be when he gets off. I predict tears, and lots of "WHY DIDNT HE DO THAT FOR US".
Well, yes and you're correct. Also, I completely agree that there's mitigation in terms of his injuries, our style of play, where's he played and the position he's played...

... but, those two years are the only time he's scored more than ten goals in a season, across all competitions - 5, 2 and 4 respectively during 21/22 to now.

Including mitigation, as a minimum, he should be getting closer to double figures - I'm not even saying exceeding it due to all the above.

So, I don't expect the heights of the Ancelotti era, however when you look at the players who've scored more than him in each respective season it's concerning.

Question by all means. I'm sure he himself is questioning himself.

But let's keep it fair/realistic.
As I've said (and you can search over), I have been a big fan of Dom and have defended him many times against those who've overreacted.

However, I can't help but now starting to have growing doubts. Last year and the year before, there's lots of mitigation - now, he needs to start scoring.

If he does go elsewhere, I do think he will start scoring more than he has done recently, although to be fair the bar is pretty low at the moment.

I predict he'll be someone who will score around 10-12 a season when he does eventually leave us.

Clean break in the summer is probably best for everyone concerned.

I'll reckon deep down he'll be a tad resentful the way his career is panning out,he'll certainly put a lot of his previous injuries problems down to the clubs diabolical medical department.

You just get the feeling it's all gone very stale.

Well, yes and you're correct. Also, I completely agree that there's mitigation in terms of his injuries, our style of play, where's he played and the position he's played...

... but, those two years are the only time he's scored more than ten goals in a season, across all competitions - 5, 2 and 4 respectively during 21/22 to now.

Including mitigation, as a minimum, he should be getting closer to double figures - I'm not even saying exceeding it due to all the above.

He's 26 and has been wrote off with injuries for the last 2 years.

You ref mitigation, but disingenuous with it.

So, I don't expect the heights of the Ancelotti era, however when you look at the players who've scored more than him in each respective season it's concerning.

As I've said (and you can search over), I have been a big fan of Dom and have defended him many times against those who've overreacted.

However, I can't help but now starting to have growing doubts. Last year and the year before, there's lots of mitigation - now, he needs to start scoring.

If he does go elsewhere, I do think he will start scoring more than he has done recently, although to be fair the bar is pretty low at the moment.

He wouldn't disagree

Nobody would disagree.

He's been below par this season.

What I'm disagreeing with is fans who are saying he's crap and we have better.

He's in bad form, but there's a few reasons behind that.

It happens, Wayne Rooney went 10-13 league games in a Man Utd team without scoring.

I predict he'll be someone who will score around 10-12 a season when he does eventually leave us.

Which would be brilliant for this Everton team. If he could get 10-12 next season, we'd be laughing.

The next 3 fixtures are games on paper where he should be able to perform better. He scored against Palace last year, he had his best game of last season against Brighton, and he scored earlier in the year against west ham.

I would be hopefully he gets back into some kind of form over these matches. But if not, then we have to look at trying something else next month.

He's 26 and has been wrote off with injuries for the last 2 years.

You ref mitigation, but disingenuous with it.
That can be your take on it, but I'd vehemently contest that perspective. I've defended Dom for much of his time at Everton, and will often continue to do so.

If you care to look, I've agreed that we look better with Dom in the XI than other strikers, and yes he is in poor form. There are other factors like you mention.

I've never suggested Beto and others are better. As I mentioned, my concern is the here and now, and I sincerely hope he starts finding his form for us.

The issue is, at some point, the blanket use of mitigation can't be sustained because he is getting chances, and for a player of his ability he needs to score.

Over the past three seasons, he is averaging a goal every 4.8 games in the PL when he's played (goals per minute). His xG (meh!) is high this year too.

Yet, what he did 3 or 4 seasons ago is irrelevant if it isn't at least heading back in that trajectory, which was the motive behind my 'purple patch' comment.

I was recently chatting to my Uncle about Dom (he's not an Evertonian) and he referenced the likes of Danny Ings, Tammy Abraham and Raul Jiiménez.

Why? Players who've had a handful of seasons of prolific scoring in the PL, have been beset by injury and not have gone on to find that prolific scoring again.

He put Dom in that bracket, and while I attempted to defend his ability compared to the above I found it difficult.

A old L4 urban legend is during 85/86 season gary lineker made a deal with the devil he finishes top scorer in the league and World Cup and in return Everton had to lose the double and the world had to put up with his brother Wayne ,their has been a curse round goodison ever since effecting everything from winning trophy’s to our strikers being crap , this one of the real reasons Everton decided to leave goodison and move to Bramley-Moore
I can confirm this pal. The brown legged lefty sell out.