2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Evertonians want the club to improve, we have to flip our mediocre squad and upgrade. No guarantee we do upgrade, of course, with the money we earn, but there is a guarantee we do not improve by keeping a squad that has shown it's not up to getting us back into the top 8.

If we can get €35m for DCL in his last year, this is a no-brainer. I think it's instructive that it's Newcastle in for him, not City or Arsenal. He's a useful player on his day, but his days are too rare and his usefulness too limited to be a top player. With a bit of wit, we can definitely upgrade him. This is why the Director of Football is employed. This is a proper test of Thelwell now.

We got £27m for Iwobi with 12 months left and paid Burnley £25-30m for Keane with 12 months left so £37m isn't outrageous for a striker.

breaking-bad-jesse-pinkman.gif

If Evertonians want the club to improve, we have to flip our mediocre squad and upgrade. No guarantee we do upgrade, of course, with the money we earn, but there is a guarantee we do not improve by keeping a squad that has shown it's not up to getting us back into the top 8.

If we can get €35m for DCL in his last year, this is a no-brainer. I think it's instructive that it's Newcastle in for him, not City or Arsenal. He's a useful player on his day, but his days are too rare and his usefulness too limited to be a top player. With a bit of wit, we can definitely upgrade him. This is why the Director of Football is employed. This is a proper test of Thelwell now.
I wonder how much of this price, is how Newcastle value that Minteh lad.

Key point here is how much PSR trouble Newcastle are in.

Not sure on Minteh's 'real' or 'estimated' value but clearly if the RS want him and after the season he'd had its a wonder he's not gone to Chelsea.

The only way we have a chance is that they want DCL & PSR.

Whatever deal is done for DCL it wont be because of his value -- it will be based on what Newcastle need for PSR compliance.

£37m for Dom would be incredible, getting nearly £80m of the Geordie jokers for him and Gordon is hilarious and will have/do wonders for our PSR standings

The offset is we also boost theirs by giving £35m back for Minteh

I guess one thing that may bump up his fee would be because of his importance to us.

Yes he doesn't score tons of goals, but he's about as perfect a striker for the way we play as possible. If our midfielders were doing their jobs properly they'd also be scoring double to treble the number of goals they each scored last season and DCL would be seen as a much more rounded striker.

He holds the play up brilliantly and would be incredibly difficult to replace if money is tight.

The fact that we'd be left with Beto, Maupay and Chermiti doesn't bear thinking about - if a much better striker wasn't brought in it would almost certainly mean a very tight fight against relegation as they're all absolutely crap League One standard, with only Chermiti having any kind of hope for the future.

I hope Everton are holding out for too-good-to-turn-down money. Every player has a price, regardless of their contract.

If he leaves it'd also largely down to him having told the club he wants out, as I'm sure there is a contract on the table waiting to be signed by him.

Last edited:
Id say that given some of the names we are being linked with at the moment we might be seeing a slight change in the way we play next season.
That’s the hope, isn’t it?

But given we don’t know how either the window or any new approach will go, it doesn’t shave off any of my anxiety about losing essentially the lynchpin to the way we’ve played under Dyche.

I don't share the optimism that we can replace him.

Beto and Chermiti cost £45m.

+ Maupay and that's £60m.

And...

Attacking players signed in last three years (since loss of previous attacking players):

- Demarai Gray
- Andros Townsend
- Salomon Rondon
- Dwight McNeil
- Neal Maupay
- Jack Harrison
- Youssef Chermiti
- Arnaut Danjuma
- Beto

There's an argument to say it's such small margins down there - that he could be the difference between staying up or going down;

2023/24 SEASON:

🔴 When DCL didn’t start the game:
2 wins
2 draws
8 losses
0.66 pts per game

1͟6͟% win rate

🔵 When DCL did start the game:
11 wins
7 draws
8 losses
1.53 pts per game

4͟2͟% win rate

Back when we had actual fullbacks who could cross a ball like Digne. Or midfielders who could pass a ball forward like Sigurdsson/Rodriguez;

Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored 34% of Everton’s 47 goals, meaning that no team that finished above 17th place relied more on one single player for a larger percentage of their goals.

I think we'd miss him big time. I think he'd score more than all our players for Newcastle.

And...

There's an argument to say it's such small margins down there - that he could be the difference between staying up or going down;

2023/24 SEASON:

2 wins
2 draws
8 losses
0.66 pts per game

1͟6͟% win rate

11 wins
7 draws
8 losses
1.53 pts per game

4͟2͟% win rate

Back when we had actual fullbacks who could cross a ball like Digne. Or midfielders who could pass a ball forward like Sigurdsson/Rodriguez;

Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored 34% of Everton’s 47 goals, meaning that no team that finished above 17th place relied more on one single player for a larger percentage of their goals.

I think we'd miss him big time. I think he'd score more than all our players for Newcastle.

While I agree with all that, I think his goals are secondary to the way he’s allowed the team to get up the pitch. His works rate and hold up play has been absolutely critical.

I think he’s the most important single player to the system. If we get rid of him, we either need a like for like (which seems extremely difficult), or we need to change the way we play - which is a leap into the unknown, too.

And...

2023/24 SEASON:

2 wins
2 draws
8 losses
0.66 pts per game

1͟6͟% win rate

11 wins
7 draws
8 losses
1.53 pts per game

4͟2͟% win rate

I agree. Forget his injuries. He’s so much more than a goalscorer. He’s a target man, he drags defenders away, he’s got a decent touch, he’s a solid pen taker. I would personally be sitting him down and saying ‘what do you want?’, if that’s already happened and he has said ‘nothing I want to leave’ then I suppose getting anything over 20m is madness.

However we all know it won’t be that. If we do the deal with Chelsea it will be 10m plus Broja, Newcastle it will be 15m plus Minteh.

And...

2023/24 SEASON:

2 wins
2 draws
8 losses
0.66 pts per game

1͟6͟% win rate

11 wins
7 draws
8 losses
1.53 pts per game

4͟2͟% win rate

Most of his goals were penalties.
(Some take the bait ffs)

While I agree with all that, I think his goals are secondary to the way he’s allowed the team to get up the pitch. His works rate and hold up play has been absolutely critical.

I think he’s the most important single player to the system. If we get rid of him, we either need a like for like (which seems extremely difficult), or we need to change the way we play - which is a leap into the unknown, too.

Exactly. He's a focal point and sacrifices a lot of his goals in what was the most defensive team in the league last season.

So it's not just about his goals - but we have a team that don't score enough as is.

Beto is another type of striker and nowhere near his level.

And...

2023/24 SEASON:

2 wins
2 draws
8 losses
0.66 pts per game

1͟6͟% win rate

11 wins
7 draws
8 losses
1.53 pts per game

4͟2͟% win rate

Well the bottom line is he’s leaving next year anyway so we either replace him now while we actually have money coming into the club to reinvest, or replace him next year when he’s walked out on a free transfer. I don’t know why people have this idea in their heads that he’s going to stay forever. His contract is literally up next year.

There are hundreds of strikers of his profile in world football. Chris Wood is exactly the same profile and cost Forest £15m (I’m not saying we should sign Chris Wood, he’s just an example of a player). There are many capable replacements out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back