2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Would be a massive loss for us.

I think the Villa incident soured his relationship with us, and I don't think it recovered.
I doubt the modern player really cares all that much about their "relationship" with the crowd. It's a job. They care about their careers and what contract they can get. If he scored 20 goals a season he'd be loved by all, but the fact is he averages about 7 a year and misses endless chances. God help us if that level of contribution counts as a 'massive loss'.

14 goals in 3 seasons I’m sure we can find a replacement.
I think I have an idea where to start...

00.jpg

I doubt the modern player really cares all that much about their "relationship" with the crowd. It's a job. They care about their careers and what contract they can get. If he scored 20 goals a season he'd be loved by all, but the fact is he averages about 7 a year and misses endless chances. God help us if that level of contribution counts as a 'massive loss'.

Fans absolutely love to think they are influential on stuff like this, it’s weird.
Money and success influences footballers. That is all, and in that order.

Judging his contribution solely on goals scored is reductive and ignores context 🤷‍♂️
That is primarily what he is in the team to do though. He's our first choice No9, the only striker we play, he's the focal point of our attack not a foil for two wide forwards who bang in goals. He's supposed to be a goal scorer first and foremost, yet other than under Carlo in covid era 4 years ago, it's not something he's ever really done.

Obviously it's not about goals alone, but some people go out of their way to look for as many things as possible to gloss over his primary job. "He jumps well", "Can hold the ball up", "Works hard" etc. These aren't extraordinary attributes, they're bog standard things you'd expect most strikers to do pretty well.

It's a fact of football life strikers are judged on goals. I doubt there are Villa or Bournemouth fans anywhere who care one iota about Watkins' work rate or Solanke's hold up play, so long as they're putting the ball in the net 20 times a season.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.