2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it’s a rarity really, the way he perforates the end of last season has clouded a lot of judgement. He was very poor for a lot of last season, not just goals his all round game and to give him a new big long contract, when the new owners could want a different style of manager in 12 months would be a waste of money imo.

Go and get a younger striker who has more potential and lot more to his game
His all round game was fine. He didn’t score for a long period, but his work levels stayed up and he was still running the lines, winning aerial duels. His lack of goals clouded people’s judgement of his game. Which is fine and expected as he was a striker struggling to score.

Has there been any mention of the extension length we offered?

I’m assuming the issue is we & then Newcastle are not prepared to risk 3 or 4 years on 100K+ p/w to a player reaching 30 with his injury record.

I want Dom to stay, but if we offered a 2 year extension on new terms I can see why we’d go no further to keep him.

His all round game was fine. He didn’t score for a long period, but his work levels stayed up and he was still running the lines, winning aerial duels. His lack of goals clouded people’s judgement of his game. Which is fine and expected as he was a striker struggling to score.
Running the lines and winning headers doesn’t make his all round game fine. His hold play is ok to good at best and what does he create for his teammates? You can count on one hand his assists over the last 3/4yrs

Running the lines and winning headers doesn’t make his all round game fine. His hold play is ok to good at best and what does he create for his teammates? You can count on one hand his assists over the last 3/4yrs

shows the level we have sunk to that people think he's great because of stuff like this.

had one guy, maybe the same feller? saying he's a good striker because he wins defensive headers.

madness

True, but he isn’t helped by the fact that when he does win a header, or brings the ball down between 2 groks, there often isn’t another blue shirt within 30 yards of him. Lots conspires against him stats-wise in our setup. More concerning is that he isn’t one of those “can have a quiet game and just needs one chance” types. Missed some very very good chances last year. He finally started scoring and talking about floodgates opening and the season ended and now seems to be off.

shows the level we have sunk to that people think he's great because of stuff like this.

had one guy, maybe the same feller? saying he's a good striker because he wins defensive headers.

madness
I said his all round game was fine. I didn’t say he was great because of it. 🙄

There were periods of last season where his all round game wasn't fine at all there were a few spells where he was really poor and back to looking like he did when he first came to the team always half a yard off it and looking like he was reacting to what was happening instead of making it happen. He had good games too and when he produces his best form he is a real handful but he hasn't done that a lot in the couple of years if he's staying then his all round game needs to be better for longer with or without the goals to go with it.

I said his all round game was fine. I didn’t say he was great because of it. 🙄

it isnt fine though,as a striker you need to either score or create, but you NEED to be doing at least one.

he's good at times, but MOST of the time, mostly during that horrific run, we might as well have had 10 men on the pitch becasuse he wasnt doing much at all.

There were periods of last season where his all round game wasn't fine at all there were a few spells where he was really poor and back to looking like he did when he first came to the team always half a yard off it and looking like he was reacting to what was happening instead of making it happen. He had good games too and when he produces his best form he is a real handful but he hasn't done that a lot in the couple of years if he's staying then his all round game needs to be better for longer with or without the goals to go with it.
Oh yeah, there were some games when he was really poor. Which is hardly a shock for any player though.

But more often than not, his all round game was fine. The whole team was poor for a large period, certainly in transitioning forward. And as a lone striker having long balls pelted to you, if the rest of the team is out of sync/playing poorly, then you are going to struggle as well.

Someone pointed out him not having assists etc, but after he wins the ball from a long punt, what pace is there running past him? Harrison? McNeil?

Oh yeah, there were some games when he was really poor. Which is hardly a shock for any player though.

But more often than not, his all round game was fine. The whole team was poor for a large period, certainly in transitioning forward. And as a lone striker having long balls pelted to you, if the rest of the team is out of sync/playing poorly, then you are going to struggle as well.

Someone pointed out him not having assists etc, but after he wins the ball from a long punt, what pace is there running past him? Harrison? McNeil?

zzzzzzz everyones fault but calvert-lewins.

Well no I don't just mean he wasn't brilliant in every game I mean there were times when his all round game was poor for a few games in a row. You were saying his all round game was fine and people were just blinded by him not scoring but I don't agree I think in the middle of the season he had a run of games where he looked well off the pace and didn't give us much other than just winning some headers theres more to having a good all round game than just doing that.

Well no I don't just mean he wasn't brilliant in every game I mean there were times when his all round game was poor for a few games in a row. You were saying his all round game was fine and people were just blinded by him not scoring but I don't agree I think in the middle of the season he had a run of games where he looked well off the pace and didn't give us much other than just winning some headers theres more to having a good all round game than just doing that.
It was a generalisation. I didn’t mean in every single game. There were spells when he was poor, which will obviously track across several games at different times.

But on the whole, his all round game was fine, more often than not. Whereas others are suggesting for most/a lot of the season his all round game was very poor. It wasn’t in my view.

We obviously need more from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.