Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for DCL too much.

I think he has been a good player but I won't lose sleep if he leaves

If we don't get a decent return for him this summer (£20m+), I would keep him until his contract runs out.

I can see him at West Ham tho

The yak was a very good striker and brilliant finisher
One of my favourite one’s for us was when he turned his defender in the box and left him on his backside before slotting.
Moyes described it as ‘sending the defender for pie’ if my memory serves me right.

But thats digressing. Yak was head and shoulders above DCL for finishing prior to his Achilles going, but needed someone else to do the donkey work for him.

Yak was a brilliant player , great first season then got that horrendous injury when he’s got 4 in 14, in his 2nd season which was a slow burner after that he’s was constantly in and out of the team and on the bench as Saha was the main striker in his last year. He still went on the Blackburn and had a good season, prior to us he got double figures 5 seasons running, for Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and us. And Middlesbrough and Portsmouth were hardly top challenging teams, then got his bad injury.

Dcl has only ever got double figures twice. Toney the same, but is worth 80mil apparently, even Olly Watkins has done it 4 years, basically playing every game.
The yak was a very good striker and brilliant finisher

Also had an arse the size of a barn door too did the Yak.

One of my favourite one’s for us was when he turned his defender in the box and left him on his backside before slotting.
Moyes described it as ‘sending the defender for pie’ if my memory serves me right.

But thats digressing. Yak was head and shoulders above DCL for finishing prior to his Achilles going, but needed someone else to do the donkey work for him.
Remember that game so well. He properly brightened up a foul day and game after what had been a turgid first half.

Yak was probably the best finisher we've had for a long time. Lukaku a very close second (and I appreciate this will cause debate). DCL is near neither of them in terms of finishing.

That's the main thing with DCL, often people go on about him being isolated, no service etc, but if you look at the stats, he gets a very good number of 'good chances' he's just got an appalling expected goals rate. As do we as a team.

On XgPG we were by a country mile the worst outlier in the league, it's not even funny how bad we were

To give an example we sat at 20.75 less the nearest to us was Bournemouth at 9 less.

As an interesting point DCL, Beto and Doucoure where out and out the standout players responsible for those numbers btw, coming in at respectively 7, 3 and 4 under what they should have converted.

Creating chances wasn't our issue, neither was creating clear chances, it was having players being able to finish that killed us last season.

Not sure what you’ve done there but in the prem for Everton DCL averages a goal every 4.1 games. The Yak a goal every 3.2 games and the yaks injury killed him, his last season with us was mainly playing 2nd fiddle to Saha. But the the yak as a centre forward was on another planet to DCL
Yakubu was good for 1 season and 1 season only.

He scored 15 goals, DCL scored 16 goals in his "1 good season".

So he wasnt on another planet.

That's the main thing with DCL, often people go on about him being isolated, no service etc, but if you look at the stats, he gets a very good number of 'good chances' he's just got an appalling expected goals rate. As do we as a team.

On XgPG we were by a country mile the worst outlier in the league, it's not even funny how bad we were

To give an example we sat at 20.75 less the nearest to us was Bournemouth at 9 less.

As an interesting point DCL, Beto and Doucoure where out and out the standout players responsible for those numbers btw, coming in at respectively 7, 3 and 4 under what they should have converted.

Creating chances wasn't our issue, neither was creating clear chances, it was having players being able to finish that killed us last season.
This absolutely is the truth, presumably its why Dom and Beto are both being allowed to leave and Docoure's position in the 10 is up for grabs.

We desperately need better finishers in the team.

If we can find a suitable replacement I'm content with him leaving , definitely has strengths holding up the ball but his heading which was his forte has diminished also there will also be questions if he can maintain his health as well

Goals per 90mins would be better, if you’re still bored like 😋
@Goat is a sneaky customer when it comes to stats. You've got to watch him closely.

DCL's PL strike rate is 0.25 goals per game. For comparison: Johnson (0.27), Beattie (0.27), Campbell (0.26), Ferguson (0.25), Radzinski (0.18), Yakubu (0.38), Saha (0.29), Lukaku (0.44), Rideout (0.26), Cottee (0.35), Richarlison (0.26).

@Goat is a sneaky customer when it comes to stats. You've got to watch him closely.

DCL's PL strike rate is 0.25 goals per game. For comparison: Johnson (0.27), Beattie (0.27), Campbell (0.26), Ferguson (0.25), Radzinski (0.18), Yakubu (0.38), Saha (0.29), Lukaku (0.44), Rideout (0.26), Cottee (0.35), Richarlison (0.26).
The discussion was goals per season tho.

DCL has outscored every Striker bar Lukaku since 1994.

Goals per game is a crap measuring stick. As doesn’t take into account 2 min sub appearances when he was a kid etc. whereas most of the others (if not all) were bought as developed players coming to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back