2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might not be desperate for the money, but I'm not sure it would be smart from the business side to let him leave for free next year.

I would like him to sign but longer it goes the less likely that feels to me. We really need clarity before the season starts so I think the club are within their rights to say we need an answer pretty soon. Even if its a no, at least we know.

I dont honestly think we could have offered an extension until we knew we were staying up so I don't really blame them for that.
They'll have to weigh up what he brings to the team, but if he's here beyond the deadline and hasn't signed a new deal (or doesn't sign one very swiftly after that) it'll be because no team matched either his demands, Everton's demands, or both, and in that situation you simply have to carry on and then see where you are when you get to January.

He's not a bad egg. He's not kicking up a fuss, and he's the best CF at the club (that says more about other CFs we have mind). He's also the best fit for what Dyche wants to do, based on Dyche's entire tenure so far and his Burnley days.

I don't blame the club as in the people there now, but the reason we didn't know whether we'd be staying up or not is down to the mismanagement isn't it.

It's just one of them, really. But Evertonians don't need a lot to turn on players, and I do think Dom is being badly advised as well.

Player's these days and social media...I just don't know why they don't move to control the narrative instead of giving a reason for fans to freak out and make wild assumptions. They sure as hell hit social media when they want out or have a good game (so maybe draw your own conclusions from that maybe.)

Something, anything. Especially now with everything going on, on the administrative side at club level.

I didnt really like Saha either.

Its a misnomer also to compare those players in the teams we had back then.

My original point was that the likes of Yakubu, Lukaku, Johnson and Ferguson would be more likely to hit 15 goals in the team we had last season -- also this season -- compared to DCL.

Those were all signings made for big money at the time and us fans were all pretty excited about them joining.

When was the last time you / we were excited about signing a centre forward?

I was excited by DCL signing -- as a long term development player.

But Lukaku was the only one since Yakubu really.

Going into this season, none of us im sure are excited about DCL, Beto or Maupay.

Its more likely for them to reach a combined 10 goals than 15+

I am struck by the bewilderment of my posts saying we need to sell all and reinvest in one.

While the same posters wanted Godfrey, Keane and Holgate moved on and replaced.

Its common sense.

I would move all 3 on, for different reasons, I saw what DCL can do under a good manager, you have been quite vocal about how Dyche didnt get the best from Onana for example.

He missed a good few decent chances last season, thats for sure, but given the quality we appear to have signed and stick Gnonto into the side, I wouldnt say I dont think DCL couldnt hit 15 goals.

I think people are bewildered due to the fact that it seems a bit unreasonable to expect us to spend 50m on a Striker when we have other needs.

So by all means move all 3 on, invest in a quality Striker, but dont complain when Keane comes in if Branners gets injured or if young Tim isnt quite ready and we are short in midfield.

We need players out and we need quality in, but if we sell 3 players, im not sure we can replace them with 1, it would be more prudent to spread the cash around and fill in more than 1 space.

We are pretty light in most areas, first 11 aside, as you know we lose a lot of players next Summer, not to mention we have huge debts.

So im all for spunking 50m on the next Lukaku, I just dont think its something we will do.

Compare the teams they played in.

Look at the injuries.

Blame Wenger for Johnson.

Yakubu wasnt given a chance post injury. We sold him for pennies and (i think) he scored double figures in the division below and the premier league after leaving.

I could use the same argument for DCL, his first season at Everton he played LW, then of course he had 2 pretty bad injury hit seasons.

The teams they played in? You're acting like we havent had 3 relegation threatened seasons in the last 3 seasons and had utter clowns like Benitez and Lampard as manager, no comment regarding SD.

But anyway, please, I hope with everything we sell DCL and I really hope we replace him with at least an AJ.

I would move all 3 on, for different reasons, I saw what DCL can do under a good manager, you have been quite vocal about how Dyche didnt get the best from Onana for example.

He missed a good few decent chances last season, thats for sure, but given the quality we appear to have signed and stick Gnonto into the side, I wouldnt say I dont think DCL couldnt hit 15 goals.

I think people are bewildered due to the fact that it seems a bit unreasonable to expect us to spend 50m on a Striker when we have other needs.

So by all means move all 3 on, invest in a quality Striker, but dont complain when Keane comes in if Branners gets injured or if young Tim isnt quite ready and we are short in midfield.

We need players out and we need quality in, but if we sell 3 players, im not sure we can replace them with 1, it would be more prudent to spread the cash around and fill in more than 1 space.

We are pretty light in most areas, first 11 aside, as you know we lose a lot of players next Summer, not to mention we have huge debts.

So im all for spunking 50m on the next Lukaku, I just dont think its something we will do.

Im glad you agree that we should sell all 3.

I think Maupay and Beto were behind Chermiti by season end. Chermiti for me is 2nd choice.

I said sell all for £50mil and that brings in probably £200k+ in wages. But i didnt suggest we'd spend the lot on one player (though im sure i wasnt clear).

Jonathan David & Maximillian Beier are both available for £25mil this summer.

Many others would be £30mil or even £40mil and i doubt we would consider paying £200k wages, max half that.

All im saying is that we have a 2nd choice who can rotate in. What we need is a top centre forward who delivers.

If we were to sign Gnonto i believe we still have enough to bring in one or two defenders if were selling to buy at breakeven overall.

Moving on the 3 forwards should enable us to sign a superior and more effective starter...with cash to spare.

Do that and were looking at a top 10 finish.

I was bored enough

Lukaku = 17 goals per season average
Johnson = 8.5
Saha = 6.75
DCL = 6.75
Yakubu = 6.25
Rideout = 5.8
Ferguson = 5.45

Our fanbase’s capacity to idolise truly awful strikers is unparalleled. Yakubu and Ferguson were talismanic, but never prolific.

Shows what an absolute goal machine Rom was.

Im glad you agree that we should sell all 3.

I think Maupay and Beto were behind Chermiti by season end. Chermiti for me is 2nd choice.

I said sell all for £50mil and that brings in probably £200k+ in wages. But i didnt suggest we'd spend the lot on one player (though im sure i wasnt clear).

Jonathan David & Maximillian Beier are both available for £25mil this summer.

Many others would be £30mil or even £40mil and i doubt we would consider paying £200k wages, max half that.

All im saying is that we have a 2nd choice who can rotate in. What we need is a top centre forward who delivers.

If we were to sign Gnonto i believe we still have enough to bring in one or two defenders if were selling to buy at breakeven overall.

Moving on the 3 forwards should enable us to sign a superior and more effective starter...with cash to spare.

Do that and were looking at a top 10 finish.
No idea who this Beer fella is, but I doubt we could attract David, personally.

They'll have to weigh up what he brings to the team, but if he's here beyond the deadline and hasn't signed a new deal (or doesn't sign one very swiftly after that) it'll be because no team matched either his demands, Everton's demands, or both, and in that situation you simply have to carry on and then see where you are when you get to January.

He's not a bad egg. He's not kicking up a fuss, and he's the best CF at the club (that says more about other CFs we have mind). He's also the best fit for what Dyche wants to do, based on Dyche's entire tenure so far and his Burnley days.

I don't blame the club as in the people there now, but the reason we didn't know whether we'd be staying up or not is down to the mismanagement isn't it.

It's just one of them, really. But Evertonians don't need a lot to turn on players, and I do think Dom is being badly advised as well.
Stop writing sensible posts please....

I wouldn't move all three on purely due to knowing how bad we are at filling that spot in the club mate

Can argue that both the Maupay deal and the Beto one were made exactly due to us being under pressure to 'bring in a striker', not sure I'd fancy our chances of having to bring in basically two in a few weeks and to get anything remotely decent.

Maupay is gone, no chance he features at all for us, similarly Beto you feel will get moved on back to Italy to try to break even on the deal or as near as we can.

Makes keeping DCL imperative then - if he signs then all good, if he doesn't then not sure what the club's approach will be.

Feel that we rate Chermitis progress and plan for him to play a lot more this season (bit doubt they want him as the only option unless they're mental)

Biggest issue with that ofc is the old DCL fitness thing though...

I was bored enough

Lukaku = 17 goals per season average
Johnson = 8.5
Saha = 6.75
DCL = 6.75
Yakubu = 6.25
Rideout = 5.8
Ferguson = 5.45
Not sure what you’ve done there but in the prem for Everton DCL averages a goal every 4.1 games. The Yak a goal every 3.2 games and the yaks injury killed him, his last season with us was mainly playing 2nd fiddle to Saha. But the the yak as a centre forward was on another planet to DCL

Our fanbase’s capacity to idolise truly awful strikers is unparalleled. Yakubu and Ferguson were talismanic, but never prolific.

Shows what an absolute goal machine Rom was.
Yak was a brilliant player , great first season then got that horrendous injury when he’s got 4 in 14, in his 2nd season which was a slow burner after that he’s was constantly in and out of the team and on the bench as Saha was the main striker in his last year. He still went on the Blackburn and had a good season, prior to us he got double figures 5 seasons running, for Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and us. And Middlesbrough and Portsmouth were hardly top challenging teams, then got his bad injury.

Dcl has only ever got double figures twice. Toney the same, but is worth 80mil apparently, even Olly Watkins has done it 4 years, basically playing every game.
The yak was a very good striker and brilliant finisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back