2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're just waiting to see how desperate some clubs get come deadline day. All about getting the most money at this point.
That would be an absolutely daft strategy and we would have no time to replace him. If there is going to be a sale, and it looks like we do need to sell, then it needs to be ASAP

Also Newcastle wanted to sell Wilson and couldn't.
Yep but the whole Dom deal was around the swap (even if it wasn't a 'swap' technically).

Minteh was valued at £33m so Everton couldn't provide that cash. Newcastle couldn't stump up cash fro Dom without selling Minteh.

Newcastle couldn't match Dom's wage demands (which I believe are only around what Everton's offer is btw) because Wilson wasn't out of the door.

I think they'll come back for him later in the window.

Yep but the whole Dom deal was around the swap (even if it wasn't a 'swap' technically).

Minteh was valued at £33m so Everton couldn't provide that cash. Newcastle couldn't stump up cash fro Dom without selling Minteh.

Newcastle couldn't match Dom's wage demands (which I believe are only around what Everton's offer is btw) because Wilson wasn't out of the door.

I think they'll come back for him later in the window.

Yea lots of moving parts. I took it that it was all agreed, but needed Wilson to be sold, who wasn't. One of them.

I reckon DCL scores more than Minteh this season.

No issue with trying to maximise his value, but 35m is not realistic at all. I think 25m is more realistic.
If he is to go, I do think it'll end up being £25m personally aye.

The club aren't under pressure to sell necessarily. If he's here beyond the deadline, even if he hasn't signed a deal, he'll play. And thankfully, that's because the DoF and manager aren't children who'll spit their toys out of the pram.

It's a messy situation that needs a resolution of course, but I don't really see a guilty party here. The offer is on the table, DCL hasn't turned it down but hasn't accepted it. The club can't do much more, but on the flip side, they also left DCL without an offer and let him get to 12 months left on his deal because of the mismanagement - the same mismanagement that in part led to him getting flogged through injury for the best part of 2 years.

I'm not sure, I've seen quite a few pieces say his wage demands are an issue, maybe it's a bit of both. I'm not sure clubs would even want to match our own offer if we're offering to make him among our highest paid. Bearing in mind that at most "bigger" clubs he might move to he won't be an automatic starter, clubs will not be falling over each other to offer a huge wage on a long contract for a backup striker who has missed very significant chunks of football in recent years.

You're right though, if we're asking 35m that too is an issue, my feeling though is that if DCL agreed terms with a club we would accept a good chunk less than that to get it over with and move on.
Bit of everything but Everton are asking for £35m for him. Which, I mean, fair enough in a world where Jhon Duran is going to go for £35m.

If he is to go, I do think it'll end up being £25m personally aye.

The club aren't under pressure to sell necessarily. If he's here beyond the deadline, even if he hasn't signed a deal, he'll play. And thankfully, that's because the DoF and manager aren't children who'll spit their toys out of the pram.

It's a messy situation that needs a resolution of course, but I don't really see a guilty party here. The offer is on the table, DCL hasn't turned it down but hasn't accepted it. The club can't do much more, but on the flip side, they also left DCL without an offer and let him get to 12 months left on his deal because of the mismanagement - the same mismanagement that in part led to him getting flogged through injury for the best part of 2 years.
We might not be desperate for the money, but I'm not sure it would be smart from the business side to let him leave for free next year.

I would like him to sign but longer it goes the less likely that feels to me. We really need clarity before the season starts so I think the club are within their rights to say we need an answer pretty soon. Even if its a no, at least we know.

I dont honestly think we could have offered an extension until we knew we were staying up so I don't really blame them for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back