2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since DCL signed his contract worth a reputed £86k per week, he’s had to watch the following get paid significantly more than him.
Gomes
Mina
Digne
Richarlison
Allan
Pickford
Sigurdson
Rooney
James
Onana
Alli
Walcott
Bernard
Schneiderlin

Add to that quite possibly
Gbamin
Iwobi
Tosun

I’m not surprised he saying he wants bit of that, never mind the facts he only cost £1m and he’s on free next season.
Majority of that lot you’d be hard pressed to justify they are / were more use to the team.
The ones that were good, often found DCL on the end of their best endeavours.

Since DCL signed his contract worth a reputed £86k per week, he’s had to watch the following get paid significantly more than him.
Gomes
Mina
Digne
Richarlison
Allan
Pickford
Sigurdson
Rooney
James
Onana
Alli
Walcott
Bernard
Schneiderlin

Add to that quite possibly
Gbamin
Iwobi
Tosun

I’m not surprised he saying he wants bit of that, never mind the facts he only cost £1m and he’s on free next season.
Majority of that lot you’d be hard pressed to justify they are / were more use to the team.
The ones that were good, often found DCL on the end of their best endeavours.
You know, on that list there are maybe 5 players who were worth paying that to. Its a long list of players who were overpaid and didnt perform. Thank you for the reminder of what we shouldnt do, which is add another underperformer to our high paid list.

But if DCL leaves Everton and joins a club that values attacking play I am willing to bet any amount of money that he outscores Solanke.

DCL had an xG of 13 last season and scored 7. Solanke had an xG of 19 and scored 19. This means that Solanke on average scored the amount of goals he was expected to based on the chances he was given, and DCL scored around half of what he was expected to based on his chances.

There’s a reason good teams don’t want him and Solanke has just been bought for a huge fee. Sorry.

DCL is a better option than Beto if we're going to go 1 up top.
I see this argument a lot, and I get it BUT, to play devils advocate…
Is it really better for a low possession team to have a striker hold the ball up so his not so great team mates can move up the pitch and then pass it back to their keeper because they can’t break down the opposing defence OR would it be better to have a quick transitioning team who are fast on the counter and play what’s in front of them? Something much more suited to Beto.
Playing Dom is much easier for other teams as it is very predictable imo.

DCL had an xG of 13 last season and scored 7. Solanke had an xG of 19 and scored 19. This means that Solanke on average scored the amount of goals he was expected to based on the chances he was given, and DCL scored around half of what he was expected to based on his chances.

There’s a reason good teams don’t want him and Solanke has just been bought for a huge fee. Sorry.
He's had 1 good season, so has DCL.

It's a stupid fee.

I agree, but finding CF who finds the net regularly for £27m (transfer & wages) seems to be difficult.
Plus it’s only £27m if we don’t sell him in the next 4 years. Could sign him and flog him for more next year if Chermiti (or Beto) comes good.
For perspective Maupey is probobly costing more over his contract.
This time next year he walks for free.
We`ve definitely shown that we can`t find a goal scoring CF for any sort of money over the last 20 odd years (with the exception of Lukaku).
I`d like to think if we invested £20m in either our scouting or our youth team set up we might build something that could see us produce quality players within the club, bring them through to the first team, and continue to do so for many years after that, rather than line the pockets of agents and a player who has shown more often than not that he can`t deliver at the level we play at.

But if DCL leaves Everton and joins a club that values attacking play I am willing to bet any amount of money that he outscores Solanke.
Nah, Doms not a goal scorer sadly, he’d be an excellent foil for a goal scorer but he’s not got the instinct or composure of a proper finisher imo. That Solanke fee is incredible though.. you’d think we could get half that if there was clarity on both sides about what they wanted to do..

I see this argument a lot, and I get it BUT, to play devils advocate…
Is it really better for a low possession team to have a striker hold the ball up so his not so great team mates can move up the pitch and then pass it back to their keeper because they can’t break down the opposing defence OR would it be better to have a quick transitioning team who are fast on the counter and play what’s in front of them? Something much more suited to Beto.
Playing Dom is much easier for other teams as it is very predictable imo.
Yes, it really is better to have a player who can hold the ball up when playing long dyche ball, as opposed to someone who simply cannot. There's no devils advocate to be played, Beto's hold up play is very very bad, if we're going to go long all the time like last season you need a player who can hold the ball up, mad to think otherwise imo.

Hopefully Ndiaye, lindstrom can do more whenever we win the second ball. Having Doucoure in the 10 for most of last season killed our creativity cos he's an awful player technically.

Yes, it really is better to have a player who can hold the ball up when playing long dyche ball, as opposed to someone who simply cannot. There's no devils advocate to be played, Beto's hold up play is very very bad, if we're going to go long all the time like last season you need a player who can hold the ball up, mad to think otherwise imo.

Hopefully Ndiaye, lindstrom can do more whenever we win the second ball. Having Doucoure in the 10 for most of last season killed our creativity cos he's an awful player technically.
You missed my point, I wasn’t talking about going long.. I was talking about transitioning quickly, so running channels etc which is a strength of Beto. Hope that helps.

Ah Dyche ball.. the real issue.

Another conundrum. You hate it, but love playing the striker that is best suited to it.

Personally think Dyche is better than you give him credit for with the ‘dyche ball’ comment, but that’s another thread.

We`ve definitely shown that we can`t find a goal scoring CF for any sort of money over the last 20 odd years (with the exception of Lukaku).
I`d like to think if we invested £20m in either our scouting or our youth team set up we might build something that could see us produce quality players within the club, bring them through to the first team, and continue to do so for many years after that, rather than line the pockets of agents and a player who has shown more often than not that he can`t deliver at the level we play at.
Tbh I don’t think we do too bad in developing talent in the grand scheme of things (ironically ignoring DCL was scouted and developed by us!), but don’t forget Lukaku cost £28m and was on a £12m contract (fortunately we more than made that back when he was sold) but for comparative purposes that’s £40m v £27m notwithstanding inflation.
the bit in bold being the reason I’d prefer to give DCL a contract higher contract (if we don’t sell him now for £20m+) as we can always recoup some if not all of the contract value.

You missed my point, I wasn’t talking about going long.. I was talking about transitioning quickly, so running channels etc which is a strength of Beto. Hope that helps.

Ah Dyche ball.. the real issue.

Another conundrum. You hate it, but love playing the striker that is best suited to it.

Personally think Dyche is better than you give him credit for with the ‘dyche ball’ comment, but that’s another thread.
Where did I say Dyche ball was the issue? You've just totally put words in my mouth 🤣

Tbh I don’t think we do too bad in developing talent in the grand scheme of things (ironically ignoring DCL was scouted and developed by us!), but don’t forget Lukaku cost £28m and was on a £12m contract (fortunately we more than made that back when he was sold) but for comparative purposes that’s £40m v £27m notwithstanding inflation.
the bit in bold being the reason I’d prefer to give DCL a contract higher contract (if we don’t sell him now for £20m+) as we can always recoup some if not all of the contract value.
We can only recoup that outlay if there is another club that will take him off us, and as is the case now, there`s no guarantee there would be. I`d be of the mind at the moment, for all players situation, if you are trying to hold us to ransom with 1 year left to get a huge deal, to show them the door.

We can't get anyone to buy him with less than a year on his current contract. What makes you think it would be easier to sell him for more money than we could get now after giving him higher wages and a longer term?

Utterly mad post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back