2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Which is why I'd tell him to do one, earn his next contract over the next 10 months.
I think it's almost always better to let a player leave when they don't want to be at the club.

I only make the exception for top players whose value is only going to increase.

I dont think any of our current players are good enough to keep, if they have stated they want to leave.

He's had a lot of people in his ear the past few months...his bird wanting a move to Spain or Italy...he's also with a new agency that have been telling him to ignore the club completely.

His head is probably absolutely battered.

The issue is that 15 million does very little for us. Welcome to the Beto era.
Probably depends on the loan market, you can’t really buy a suitable replacement with 15m (unless you get lucky) but I guess you could loan one putting some of the money towards a loan fee.

The question then becomes could you get a player on loan who would be as effective as DCL (not a massively high bar), and would that leave you some change from the fee? If you can then it’s worth doing.

This was my train of thought.

We seem to be in a bit of a pickle now because we've got an unhappy player who wants out,with 10 months on a his deal.

We don't hold any of the cards

We hold a huge card. If he downs tools, he doesn't get paid. His performance and availability over the past 3 years dictates he needs to have a strong season.

It's why he wants out now. There's a lot of risk for him over the next 10 months.

He's had a lot of people in his ear the past few months...his bird wanting a move to Spain or Italy...he's also with a new agency that have been telling him to ignore the club completely.

His head is probably absolutely battered.
Ignoring the club makes little sense though. Even if he wants to leave the club need to negotiate a sale.

And yes every player has an agent but they can still make their own decisions to some degree. Agents give only advice at the end of the day - you can take it or leave it.

We hold a huge card. If he downs tools, he doesn't get paid. His performance and availability over the past 3 years dictates he needs to have a strong season.

It's why he wants out now. There's a lot of risk for him over the next 10 months.
You could argue the least risky move is to sign the long term extension and get financial security.

I think he just wants to go. Which is why we need to sell ASAP. Only 11 days to go.

You could argue the least risky move is to sign the long term extension and get financial security.

I think he just wants to go. Which is why we need to sell ASAP. Only 11 days to go.

He's getting that when he makes a move away from Everton this transfer window, which is why it's best for him.

I don't want him here if he doesn't want to be here, but if he can't be replaced he can't be sold.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.