2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

To all these people giving DCL abuse for potentially seeing out his contract and leaving on a free - you do realise we signed Tarkowski on a free don’t you? Is he a rat also? It’s just business
You would have to ask the Burnley fans about Tarkowski he left them.

If Dom won’t sign a contract because he believes he’s an elite striker who belongs at the top of the game have we tried blowing a whistle before we offer it to him? Or chucking him a pen while he’s got a ball at his feet and a sight of goal? He’s not got the same confidence then.

I absolutely love this thread.

A lot of people think he's dog mince and say angry/mean stuff. Fair enough.

A lot of people want rid.

A lot of people also seem angry he won't sign a new contract.

A lot of people seem surprised/angry we can't sell him, despite thinking he's dog mince.

Love it.
He's a striker that doesn't score many goals but has other attributes. regrettably for him, right now those attributes tend to suit the poorer teams in the league.
He would be a fine plan B or C for an Arsenal or Chelsea but those teams won't start him. And they aren't giving a plan C striker a massive contract.
He's in a bind. The likes of West Ham, Villa and Newcastle don't really need him. He doesn't play to Brighton's strengths.
Palace, Wolves or Brentford? I can't see it.
Even if he sees out his contract who's offering a striker will a poor goal rate, poor xG (as much as i hate stats), and a previously terrible injury record a massive deal?
I like Dom, I'd love to see him stay but i think he's made this situation what it is and fans are allowed to be disappointed.

Then good luck and goodbye.

If he thinks he's worth more than Pickford then sell him to whoever's dumb enough to pay it.

If you look at our wages, all the ones remaining from us losing the plot on wage structure are now in their final seasons contract. None of them are gonna get renewed - DCL thinks that his benchmark should be a type of contract that frankly led to our financial disaster then yeah, jog on.

I love Dom, but you can see there is clearly a plan to avoid giving big contracts to players over 25. There have been exceptions. Doucoure got a 2 year extension.

Then you have Tarkowski and Pickford.

As I said I love Dom, but even he would have to concede in terms of performance and availability he's not been at their level. They have both been in our top 5, possibly top 3 players. That is a reasonable benchmark. Dom's not done that. He could potentially do it, but he hasn't.

Doucoure is a little more tricky. On fairness it was only a 2 year deal for him, and look even though I'm not his biggest fan he's been better under Dyche than DCL and has probably scored more goals than him too. On reflection we probably rushed into a deal with him, but his goals were important to us last season. And we are not going to be extending him either.

I think a lot of this is being driven by the club who are being more hard nosed about it. I don't think they are going to offer him much of a deal, and it's probably the right call.

If he has asked to leave then get shut asap or please just drop him and let him rot for next 9 months.

He is not going to give the effort if he doesn’t want to be here which has been evident all pre season.
That's OK if we get a proper number 9 - Beto & Maupay are not good enough - Chermitti may come through - DCL cost us 1/2 a million - add the prices & wages of the other three forwards - ? Plus their wages - he has been a bargain - & still is our best no 9 on the books atm IMO - any no 9 will suffer with Dyche ball. & at present the slowest overlapping & wingers for crosses - one corner at home - I have never seen that since 1962 !
What no 9 is going to score with that team on Saturday ??

Dixie Dean & Pele in their pomp would have struggled IMO

That's OK if we get a proper number 9 - Beto & Maupay are not good enough - Chermitti may come through - DCL cost us 1/2 a million - add the prices & wages of the other three forwards - ? Plus their wages - he has been a bargain - & still is our best no 9 on the books atm IMO - any no 9 will suffer with Dyche ball. & at present the slowest overlapping & wingers for crosses - one corner at home - I have never seen that since 1962 !
What no 9 is going to score with that team on Saturday ??

Dixie Dean & Pele in their pomp would have struggled IMO
Don't get me wrong... I agree that he is our bets forward. But the way we play is not going to change and I am sure our other forwards could even replicate the goal tally of DCL if given the chance.

If he doesn't want to be here and he is not going to give the effort is my point..... It is clearly visibile in the way he strolls round the pitch.

I would rather us play one of our other forwards, or in fact be pro-active and go get someone good.

I love Dom, but you can see there is clearly a plan to avoid giving big contracts to players over 25. There have been exceptions. Doucoure got a 2 year extension.

Then you have Tarkowski and Pickford.

As I said I love Dom, but even he would have to concede in terms of performance and availability he's not been at their level. They have both been in our top 5, possibly top 3 players. That is a reasonable benchmark. Dom's not done that. He could potentially do it, but he hasn't.

Doucoure is a little more tricky. On fairness it was only a 2 year deal for him, and look even though I'm not his biggest fan he's been better under Dyche than DCL and has probably scored more goals than him too. On reflection we probably rushed into a deal with him, but his goals were important to us last season. And we are not going to be extending him either.

I think a lot of this is being driven by the club who are being more hard nosed about it. I don't think they are going to offer him much of a deal, and it's probably the right call.
Yeah, Doucoure had a good period from the red card till his injury at Christmas. 23 games 9 goals 1 assist, overall. 32 games 11 goals 3 assists under Dyche till then. That's a solid value. However, he doesn't perform the same since his injury. He isn't good technically, but the return justified him to start 2023.

DCL clearly suffered against Brighton, due to our abysmal crossing etc., and there were games like that last season too, where he had no service and was playing more in the midfield. Still I think with the chances he had, there have to be 8-10 goals at least (not counting pens) instead of 5 non-penalty.

I absolutely love this thread.

A lot of people think he's dog mince and say angry/mean stuff. Fair enough.

A lot of people want rid.

A lot of people also seem angry he won't sign a new contract.

A lot of people seem surprised/angry we can't sell him, despite thinking he's dog mince.

Love it.

It was like the same people who said Onana was terrible and in the same breath say get £40/50m for him :lol:

Don't get me wrong... I agree that he is our bets forward. But the way we play is not going to change and I am sure our other forwards could even replicate the goal tally of DCL if given the chance.

If he doesn't want to be here and he is not going to give the effort is my point..... It is clearly visibile in the way he strolls round the pitch.

I would rather us play one of our other forwards, or in fact be pro-active and go get someone good.
If he wants to go because he wants parity of wages with Michael Keane & Doucs - then I agree, let him go - no problems with that - but Beto & Maupay the only ones fit to replace DCL - They cost alot too & are not that capable to replace him - we need a clear out of them too & replace another 2 CF & another fullback & a fast winger who can beat a man - we are the slowest team in the Prem & HOOF BALL is no good - we are atm the most boring team to watch & I have followed the blues since 1962 -

To blame any CF with our team ATM is laughable - we had 2 decent performances last Saturday - Tim & Pickford & he let 3 in, it could have been SIX.....

He's a striker that doesn't score many goals but has other attributes. regrettably for him, right now those attributes tend to suit the poorer teams in the league.
He would be a fine plan B or C for an Arsenal or Chelsea but those teams won't start him. And they aren't giving a plan C striker a massive contract.
He's in a bind. The likes of West Ham, Villa and Newcastle don't really need him. He doesn't play to Brighton's strengths.
Palace, Wolves or Brentford? I can't see it.
Even if he sees out his contract who's offering a striker will a poor goal rate, poor xG (as much as i hate stats), and a previously terrible injury record a massive deal?
I like Dom, I'd love to see him stay but i think he's made this situation what it is and fans are allowed to be disappointed.
He isn't going to like it, but he'll eventually have to accept that, for better or worse, he is the epitome of an Everton lifer.

Some of them don't realise until it's too late, like Richarlison.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back