Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk up? what like Lukaku? though tbf, that is his more or less 'natural' shape.
If you'd said 'mature' into his frame a bit, well yes...maybe.
'Bulking up' does just that - it builds bulk, you lose some of the 'snap' / reflex speed.

Maradona and Muller, were chunky, it was there natural shape. Francis Lee and Puskas were positively Porky.
That George Best needed to bulk up, Alan Ball, Young & Vernon too I suppose, however did they get a game Vs Chopper and Bites yer legs etc.
Bobby Collins, Tony Kay and Morrissey - just way to small.

The list of players, past and present who weren't/aren't bulky is long and Illustrious.
Bulk Off.
Fill out would be the more appropriate wording. He's a big lad been around Harry Kane's size will help him against seasoned defenders

It's weird. He just won a world cup but... he still came across as average to me.

He doesn't seem to excel at anything, so just hope he develops rapidly into a good all around striker.

Good finish for his goal in the final though - took advantage of a bit of luck and responded quickly.

Kenny and Lookman impressed me more.

It's weird. He just won a world cup but... he still came across as average to me.

He doesn't seem to excel at anything, so just hope he develops rapidly into a good all around striker.

Good finish for his goal in the final though - took advantage of a bit of luck and responded quickly.

It's his drive and persistence with a powerful athletic build. Similarities of Kane have been suggested. It's what I call the annoying German footballer type, one or two of them in your team will win you things, evidently.

Similar to the likes of Giroud who is not particularly great at anything, but is a solid premier league striker. If he turns out as good as him for instance, we have a very decent PL forward who was bought for peanuts.

Similar to the likes of Giroud who is not particularly great at anything, but is a solid premier league striker. If he turns out as good as him for instance, we have a very decent PL forward who was bought for peanuts.

I think Giroud is extremely underrated. Great technically, great in the air, holds the ball up well, gets a consistent goal return whilst being a massive benefit to his teammates.

I'd have him in a heartbeat over Lukaku for a year or two if he was somehow available.

I don't really see that in DCL, but whilst I say he doesn't seem to excel in any area, he doesn't seem to be outright terrible at anything either, so as long as he continues to gain confidence and improve all around then he could be a good option in the future.

He was thrown in at the deep end and out of position far too early for us though. I still think a loan is a good idea for him next year in the Championship.

I think what DCL is great at is making really good runs from in-to-out and vice versa.

He's not a player I'd want 'leading the line', but rather a player who would do well playing in a two up front IMO.

He works hard and has a decent touch plus is a general nuisance.

The lad has just turned 20 and only has a handful of PL appearances to his name but I can't think of an 'awful' game he's had bar the first-half vs Swansea (the last 10 at United and in the derby he shouldn't have played but he wasn't awful).

He's been shoehorned out wide and that's clearly not his role but he's adapted when required. He's had a very good tournament and deservedly scored the winner yesterday - which will be brilliant for his confidence going into his second season.

And, his bird is well fit.

Giroud does excel at things though - he's an excellent poacher/target man.

DCL isn't - yet - but it doesn't mean he won't be. Don't get people writing him off.

LOL @ comparing him with Giroud. At the DCL's age Giroud was just moving up from the French 5th tier to their 2nd tier.

LOL @ comparing him with Giroud. At the DCL's age Giroud was just moving up from the French 5th tier to their 2nd tier.

I am comparing him as a striker who IMO does not excel at anything spectacular possibly, but as I said "is a solid premier league striker" which if DCL turns out to be, we will all be happy.

it's not that hard to understand lad.

Koeman - notoriously hard to please rates him very highly
Unsworth - seems to know his stuff rates him very highly
Simpson - England U20 manager picked him in almost every game

He isn't a player you look at and can tell instantly he'll make it but he obviously has something about him that means managers keep picking him.

I'm prepared to bow to their greater knowledge at this point. Good luck to the lad.

A great prospect - just needs some work in the gym to build his upper body strength, to play in the prem - great footballing attributes just needs to be stronger for the prem !

Remember when Kane first started to play? He was absolute crap at u20 level, played few europa games and stunk place out. He got a bit of confidence and he never looked back.

Nothing suggested that Kane had great potential at youth, he was average on his loans at mediocre clubs.

Calvert Lewin has fantastic touch, good in air and perfect support striker. Could just click for him, seams a nice lad. He works hard also and players like Coleman got far by that mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back