Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone ne wants youth in the firth team, then everyone doesn't want youth in the first team when they don't immediately score 20 goals.

The lad clearly has serious quality, no manager has left him out of a team.

Think you should give the lad a chance mate.
Scored a winner in a World Cup final too.
Just ease off a bit and see how he progresses.
Oh and kudos for giving Koeman another beating in another different thread, you're creativity deservedly needs applauding.
Huh?

First of all, off the bat, I think you often get a lot of unjust stick for your opinions, which are usually dismissed because they are yours before any real consideration has gone into what you have said.

Then there are other times when you clearly say things that are deliberately provocative to stir the pot.

This seems like 1 of them.

We signed him for a small fee to join Usworth development squad and he must have impressed and progressed enough to be given some time in the 1st team. He is by no means the finished article, but he came into the team and didn't let anyone down, always gave his all and often while being played out of position. He has also proven this summer with u20s to be an often influential player and got a few goals and assists, including the winner in the final.

You state often enough that Dowell, amongst other young players, should be included, but then criticise his inclusion, which I don't understand.

And to emphasise your point, you use a quote that clearly state the qualities he has that give him cause to be included, non of which I would say was hyperbole, and then say it proves he knows nothing about forwards.

Comparing players he's used in other teams in the past proves absolutely nothing. Alex Ferguson signed Cruyff, Bellion, Obertan... even Forlan was a laughing stock until he moved to Spain, and many other players over the years, in different positions who many have criticised time and time again. Nobody gets it right every time, so it's just petty to highlight players who you personally don't rate as proof of some deficiency.

You picked out Pelle and Long and I'm not sure why, as I think they have both been effective, but failed to mention Tadic and Mane.

But the bit I really don't get is this "lumbered us with a load of attacking players who are second rate" statement? Who are all these players?

Aside from the 20 year old prospect he never signed that is.
What's his position exactly? I vaguely know he goes somewhere *there* <points vaguely at the final third> but what is he supposed to have done at Everton that 'makes him a first team player'?

I cant see what this is all about. I have no axe to grind with the player, I just look at his play and movement and wonder wtf is supposed to be the attraction.

What's his position exactly? I vaguely know he goes somewhere *there* <points vaguely at the final third> but what is he supposed to have done at Everton that 'makes him a first team player'?

I cant see what this is all about. I have no axe to grind with the player, I just look at his play and movement and wonder wtf is supposed to be the attraction.
He's a strong and lithe centre forward Dave. Strong as an is and moves like a panther

Would bet money DCL will be invited to train with the senior England squad in the next 12 months or so. £1.5m is a bargain considering that possibility.

Might have been too positive for you but Everton had 4 players in the U20 World Cup Finals with an Everton player DCL scoring the winning goal in the final.
But that's a feel good story and no stick to beat Koeman with.
Oh that.

Think he has something about him ...The game against maybe Spurs at start of last season in which he got injured thought the small amount of time on the pitch before he got that injury his movement with Lukaku was ace.... And the England final last weekend thought he was way better than The striker the dark side are signing from Chelsea....hope the lad blossoms

He had Guedetti at Feyenoord, Pelle and Long at Southampton, and now he's lumbered us with a load of attacking players who are second rate
Well Guidetti had 20 in 23 games for Feyenoord but I know that won't change your mind. Or the fact that RM got us Kone and Niasse.

Who is the "load" of players he's signed you're talking about?

The original article by RK is a pretty good assessment of DCL. Leading the line for England U20s shows how far he has come in 10 months , he showed he has something different from the likes of Adam Armstrong who has been the regular in this position through the age groups. He's far away from being the finished article yet and nowhere near where Rom was at a similar age , but Rom had more physicality on his side, so he shouldn't be seen as a ready replacement if/when Rom leaves.
As well as leading the line at the World Cup when required to do so he also showed he is becoming a very intelligent runner into the channels and the spaces behind defenders , setting up two goals for England while doing so. Ironically he does seem to show some of the traits that frustrated people watching Rom at the same age, a lack of close control at times and missing the goal with shots that really should have been on target , so he will continue to get stick from people asking "what's he do?" . For £1.5 mill he could prove to be one of our best bargains of recent times if he keeps improving at the same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back