Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best strikers ever have actually scored a few goals.
Behave yourself. The lad is developing well. He is just 20 and a relative newcomer to the International youth scene which shows he's a late developer. His best position is central, either up top or playing just off in a front 2. He has not yet played once in his favoured position for Everton and only a few times for the u20s. But he played there under Unsy and was excellent for the U23s early season which is why he was called up to the first team in the first place.

I'm not sure why Koeman persists in playing him on the left. Perhaps he's trying to turn him into a Nolito/Rodriguez type player, but I think he's been trying that against the wrong opposition and the lad is now getting the backlash from fans like you who seem to expect all kids to be like Messi from day 1.

There are a lot of games to play next season. It depends what strikers we bring in and whether Rom stays as to what we do with him. He's now above U23 level. If we have 3 strikers ahead of him in the pecking order I'd prefer to loan him out to a good championship side rather than persevere with this left wing tactic. If he's third choice, then I'd keep him and play him in his favoured position in some of the domestic/euro games. If he doesn't make the grade with us, which is very possible, I'd like to think it's because we have moved up to the next level rather than him not being able to hack it in the premier.

I understand he has been playing out of position, but I think the reality is, if you are going to be good enough to be playing as the focal point of a champions league team(what we aspire to be), you need to produce out of position. Not as much as in your main position, but you should show SOMETHING. Because that is an indication that what you might put up at your primary position might be half-decent, but that doesnt cut it for a team wanting to finish in the top 4. Hes young, he has time to develop, Im just not sure he will get enough opportunity to do that here, and if he truly needs to play as a main striker, he would be best suited loaned out to a team where he can do that.

I understand he has been playing out of position, but I think the reality is, if you are going to be good enough to be playing as the focal point of a champions league team(what we aspire to be), you need to produce out of position. Not as much as in your main position, but you should show SOMETHING. Because that is an indication that what you might put up at your primary position might be half-decent, but that doesnt cut it for a team wanting to finish in the top 4. Hes young, he has time to develop, Im just not sure he will get enough opportunity to do that here, and if he truly needs to play as a main striker, he would be best suited loaned out to a team where he can do that.
By this logic Holgate isn't good enough because he produces nothing at RB. I agree that he certainly should be loaned to a team where he can play his natural role and develop, but I think it is a little bit too early to give up on him because we want top 4 football. A loan will do him a world of good though. We need to fill out our squad so DCL isn't the only other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back