Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too soon to write him off. Has been played out of position.

Yes but shouldnt be played there then. Loan him out and let him learn his trade up front in his position. Lookman offers so much more out wide if he wanted players to gain experience. 10 plus games and offers nothing. Crazy in the fact we were still in with a fight for top 4 when he started his run in the team.

Literally anything could happen with DCL. He could end up falling away or he could turn a corner and become a top player for us. I'm gonna trust Koeman clearly sees something in the lad and I hope he's right. Koeman certainly doesn't play youth just for the sake of it as he came to us with a rep. of not giving youth a chance (clearly Southampton just had crap young players though).

Great finish from him. Now I'm not saying he'll turn out as good... but Harry Kane was pretty awful at the same age and completely written off by many Spurs fans - loaned out to lower league and didn't score many. As others have said, when he fills out and gets more power, he could be decent!

I watched a lot of Harry Kane when he was loaned out and with u21's he always got in good positions but his finishing was awful, worse than Kone. He obviously worked hard and it clicked, which shows that young players can improve quite a bit.

By this logic Holgate isn't good enough because he produces nothing at RB. I agree that he certainly should be loaned to a team where he can play his natural role and develop, but I think it is a little bit too early to give up on him because we want top 4 football. A loan will do him a world of good though. We need to fill out our squad so DCL isn't the only other option.
I think Holgate has shown more than DCL. Holgate has shown how capable a defender he usually can be, he just hasnt provided much in attack. Since he has already shown the ability of a natural CB, defence, it makes sense. In DCLs case, he hasnt shown much attacking prowess from the wing, which is the area of his game, since he is playing out of position, he SHOULD be showing. If he were poor defensively or with his crossing, but showing the ability to score, that would mirror Holgate showing his ability in his primary area, but not in areas he shouldnt be focusing on for his career.

Im not saying he wont be a good player at some point, but I dont see the value in having him on the team this year rather than loaning him out, as he cant help you up front in a year you intend to aim for the CL, unless he can produce a lot of goals. We should be past the age of "decent is good enough", and that doesnt rule out letting young players develop into your first team.

“The manager (Ronald Koeman) has given me my first chance in the Premier League and I can't ask for any more than that," said Calvert-Lewin.

“Coming from League One, jumping straight into the Premier League is a tough task.

“I like to think I've shown a bit of what I can do but there is a lot more to come from me.

“I'm looking forward to the World Cup first and foremost and then getting into it in pre-season and try and make my mark again for Everton."

----

Finishing is clearly his strong suit. He will only get better, I don't think we should loan him out especially as he can gain valuable European experience next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back