Confirmed Signing Donny van de Beek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klassen had nothing to offer. Poor physically and technically

He really wasn't or isn't poor technically. That's a daft statement.

Physically he wasn't up to it but not a lot of players are when they come straight from Holland.

He was the captain of an Ajax side that had reached the EL final, won their league etc, and he was a regular in the Netherlands team. He isn't a poor technical player at all.

He's basically Davy Klaassen. This isn't a bad thing btw, necessarily.

Klaassen was a bloody good player when we bought him. He was totally misused and thrown into the side incorrectly and then bombed out to never get a look in. Really, he needed at least 6 months to adapt to the pace of the Prem but we didn't give him that.

VdB is definitely a better passer than Klaassen, he has more range, but his best skill is his ability to keep things ticking over quickly and finding space to get into the final third. We do lack that so I think in this new system that Lampard will likely play, it'll work.

It would have been a stupid signing for Benitez.

Really? Klassen ended up getting relegated with Bremen didn't he?

Most Dutch players now can't cut the prem due to the physicality. Not like the 90s crop

Looks like Lamps is wanting to play a 3 in midfield with Allan holding, DVB an 8, and possibly Gomes for the advanced role, though I hold out hope that he'll bring someone else in for that position.
Though he isn't really a 10, I would imagine it is more likely to be DVB who plays further forward, occasionally dropping to the 8 if Lampard wants to use Doucoure.

I imagine it will be Allan who is the 8 and that we will by hook or by crook try to bring a 6 in on loan (or buy if money allows) by close of play tomorrow.

Last edited:

Really? Klassen ended up getting relegated with Bremen didn't he?

Most Dutch players now can't cut the prem due to the physicality. Not like the 90s crop
Klaassen was sold before they got relegated IIRC, but even so would that make him a bad player? Doucoure got relegated with Watford...

If they are going to adapt they need time. Klaassen was never given that.

Bloody hell, Klopp hardly used Fabinho - who came from Monaco - for the first six months of his Liverpool career. Now he's probably one of the best 6s in world football.

Not saying Klaassen was ever going to develop into an amazing, world class player, but he was 24 when we bought him and had been excellent at Ajax. He was a real talent. And he's back in the national set up now and is a good player for Ajax again.

He might never have clicked in the Prem but Koeman didn't give him time / use him right (he could have been played in Europa League games to keep his sharpness up for example) and Allardyce never gave him a chance.

Though he isn't really a 10, I would imagine it is more likely to be DVB who plays further forward, occasionally dropping to the 8 if Lampard wants to use Doucoure.

I imagine it will be Allan who is the 8 and that we will by hook or by crook try to bring a 6 in on loan (or buy if money allows) by close of play tomorrow.
We can't loan can we?
He will be our second player on loan. Anything else will have to be a purchase.

Klaassen was sold before they got relegated IIRC, but even so would that make him a bad player? Doucoure got relegated with Watford...

Bloody hell, Klopp hardly used Fabinho - who came from Monaco - for the first six months of his Liverpool career. Now he's probably one of the best 6s in world football.

Not saying Klaassen was ever going to develop into an amazing, world class player, but he was 24 when we bought him and had been excellent at Ajax. He was a real talent. And he's back in the national set up now and is a good player for Ajax again.

He might never have clicked in the Prem but Koeman didn't give him time / use him right (he could have been played in Europa League games to keep his sharpness up for example) and Allardyce never gave him a chance.
Nobody played him cos he looked like a rabbit in headlights every time he was on the pitch.

Never seen anybody so scared.

Neither am I. Never doubted him technically but even Koeman, who really wanted him, admitted he thought his skill would overcome his physical frailties. Never worked out.

I mentioned Bremen cos he hardly ripped up trees there either before going back to Ajax.

Some leagues just suit players. Look at Haller for Ajax too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back