Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Double Liége Swoop-Defour and Witsel

Status
Not open for further replies.
A true gent, you can sense the torn loyalties and everything Bill. Like I say, i'm defo. a fan and i'd like to see him return. I can't see him forcing it though, if he did he'd lose a lot of respect stateside and as a whole for his career that would probably be a bad move tbf

Actually, he might not garner as much bad press as you might think. Most people (read: neutrals) believe that he's proven all he's needed to prove in MLS and a jump to a top European league is long overdue, especially more so now that he'd did so well for us.

That said, I think the only people that would be somewhat upset about him engineering a move would be the Galaxy supporters. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that over 50% of them would be ok with him moving but only abroad, not to another MLS club.

Based on what we saw of Donovan in his loan spell, I don't think 10 million (give or take) is too hefty. I understand what was said about pacy players not lasting long after 30, but would only apply that kind of logic to players who rely on pace alone to be effective. I'd say Donovan's got a lot more to his game than that.
That's not to say that 10 million isn't too much for us

I think we could get a better player in with that type of money, or put that money towards a bigger signing. It probably is a realistic price when you consider how inflated the market is at the moment.

That's not to say I wouldn't take Donovan, I would, he'd be a good player to have around.

Thats certainly a big figure for a player of his age. Like you say a real shame, we lack pace as an outlet too often despite the skill of our midfield players. You'd expect to get one of the two names in this thread for that sort of money and they are both under 25 and would have a resale value after the first contract.

I've always assumed the transfer kitty is practically zero unless a player is sold this window anyway. Maybe 4-5 could be found for the right player but no more and I'm a bit of a serial optimist. Contracts and newly negotiated wages are sure to eat up a chunk of any slack we have. Luckily I'd still say we have the players when fit to play consistantly well against the majority of the league and be a serious match for the money clubs even without serious additions beyond Mucha and the others we have lined up.

Bump this bad boy up - Witsel speculation obviously excluded.

09.38 Steven Defour has been heavily linked with Lokomotiv Moscow but comments from his coach at Standard Liege, Jose Riga, have led to increased speculation that he could follow former team-mate Axel Witsel to Portugal instead, with Sporting tipped to make a move. Riga said: "I think he will leave. Not to Moscow but somewhere which is familiar to Standard..."

From ESPN Transfer Blog.

Could it be Ebepton? Ebepton did break their transfer fee record when they signed Fellani from.....Standard Liege....

Watch this space.

Admittedly, this is the first time I've posted a jarg non-sensical and completely fantastical rumour. Did I get caught up in all the hype? Or is it just that I worked far too late last night, am here far too early and have gone bat**** crazy? You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back