Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Double Liége Swoop-Defour and Witsel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports in the Belgian media this week have told of the impending departure of two Everton midfield targets from Standard Liege.

Team skipper Steven Defour and midfield battler Axel Witsel are two of Liege's most valuable assets.

Thought to have been the driving force behind the Belgian champions' back to back title victories in '08 and '09 seasons, the pair are likely transfer targets after an unimpressive campaign sees Liege currently lying 9th in the table.

Witsel is the type of tenacious midfielder thought to be favoured by Blues boss David Moyes.

After winning the Belgian young footballer of the year award in 2008, Witsel was handed an eight match domestic ban after breaking the leg of an Anderlecht player.

Disciplinary problems since have seen the 21 year old fall out of favour, making him a prime candidate for admiring managers, thought to be Martin O'Neill and David Moyes.

Defour was subject of an approach by the Blues last summer and Everton may regret not striking the deal when they had the chance.

A regular in [Poor language removed] Advocaat's Belgium midfield, the 22 year old’s list of admirers has grown substantially since last year.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal are all thought to be in the chasing pack with along with Everton.

Since Everton's two rejected bids last summer Defour has stated: “I have achieved what I wanted to achieve with Standard.”

“Maybe it is best for my career to make an upward step. I feel the time is right for me to move on.”

With such a poor show by Liege in their domestic league, a transfer looks immanent.

Reports in the Belgian media this week have told of the impending departure of two Everton midfield targets from Standard Liege.

Team skipper Steven Defour and midfield battler Axel Witsel are two of Liege's most valuable assets.

Thought to have been the driving force behind the Belgian champions' back to back title victories in '08 and '09 seasons, the pair are likely transfer targets after an unimpressive campaign sees Liege currently lying 9th in the table.

Witsel is the type of tenacious midfielder thought to be favoured by Blues boss David Moyes.

After winning the Belgian young footballer of the year award in 2008, Witsel was handed an eight match domestic ban after breaking the leg of an Anderlecht player.

Disciplinary problems since have seen the 21 year old fall out of favour, making him a prime candidate for admiring managers, thought to be Martin O'Neill and David Moyes.

Defour was subject of an approach by the Blues last summer and Everton may regret not striking the deal when they had the chance.

A regular in [Poor language removed] Advocaat's Belgium midfield, the 22 year old’s list of admirers has grown substantially since last year.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal are all thought to be in the chasing pack with along with Everton.

Since Everton's two rejected bids last summer Defour has stated: “I have achieved what I wanted to achieve with Standard.”

“Maybe it is best for my career to make an upward step. I feel the time is right for me to move on.”

With such a poor show by Liege in their domestic league, a transfer looks immanent.

No doubt at all that at least Defour will move away from Liége this summer. Witsel will also be desperate for a move away. After his horror tackle against Anderlecht, I think he needs a change. He'll always be looked at 'as that player' in Belgium. Would love to have them both at Everton.

We'd all love the Don back at Goodison I reckon, he showed us what our right side has lacked for a long time. Is there any indication of what the MLS would want for him from stateside as personally i've heard a lot of different figures mentioned Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back