Homepage Article Duncan Ferguson Autobiography

It's a pity it's not being released before christmas. My christmas morning won't be quite the same, without Big Dunc's little masterpiece sitting underneath the christmas tree.:lol:

All jokes aside the fact that Dunc is seen as a legend of the club by some people, is symptomatic of Everton's decline as a big club imo.

A cult hero maybe but i don't consider him to be an Everton legend.

But they still won stuff whilst we didn’t so not sure they feared him that much, he had a more impressive record of injuries and ill discipline them he did performances and goals. On his day virtually unplayable but unfortunately that was too few and far between.
But usually against the RS and Utd

He was an Everton Player so will probably get it. Don't understand why so many people have downers on ex-Everton players and have to slate them to justify why they won't read a book they wrote. I like the insight of manager/player autobiographies regardless if they were average, good or great.

It's a pity it's not being released before christmas. My christmas morning won't be quite the same, without Big Dunc's little masterpiece sitting underneath the christmas tree.:lol:

All jokes aside the fact that Dunc is seen as a legend of the club by some people, is symptomatic of Everton's decline as a big club imo.

A cult hero maybe but i don't consider him to be an Everton legend.
What constitutes a legend?

Trophies? Records? Trophies and records combined? What about teams who have never won a trophy? Can they have no club legends?

It has never been that simple.

Duncan Ferguson signed for Everton 3 times. He was part of the last team to win a trophy. And also the only team weve had reach the Champions League, when we were cheated out of it, but we all know that story. He spent 18 years of his life here. From loan Player, to Club Record signing. From Talisman, to Captain. From youth coach to 1st team coach. And of course, Manager.

He was, for many, 1 of few shining lights in 1 of the most tumultuous times in our history. Growing up in the 90's, he gave me and many others hope and pride. He scored goals home and away against Liverpool and Man United and put fear into the hearts of many he encountered. At his best he was unplayable, scoring some of the best, and most importantly, memorable goals ive ever seen.

Did other people outshine him? A few, yes. Kanchelskis was brilliant, but was gone before we knew it. Similarly Speed. Campbell out scored him, helped save us from relegation, and eventually partnered him in his return, and he will always be loved as well, especially for 1 particular goal in 99. Rooney shouldve been the 1, but again, was gone in the blink of an eye. Tim Cahill had a similar Presence to Dunc, and a similar hold over the RS. He is probably the only other person who comes near to Duncan as a hero to anyone growing up in that time period. And what of all the others? Arteta? Yakubu? Lukaku? Richarlison? James? All great players who have worn the shirt and given us something special at different times, but none with the overall impact, longevity, and what it all boils down to, the memories that we take away.

Did he have his problems? Of course. Did he contribute as much as he could have? Thanks to injury problems, off the field issues and the almost persistent turmoil around the club during his tenure, perhaps not. He has said himself that he wishes he couldve done more, and he obviously has regrets.

But, for the memories, the achievements (he won more trophies than Hickson, Latchford, Lineker and many others combined), the stories, and most importantly, the connection he made with the club and the fans, he is in mind definitely a legend.

What constitutes a legend?

Trophies? Records? Trophies and records combined? What about teams who have never won a trophy? Can they have no club legends?

It has never been that simple.

Duncan Ferguson signed for Everton 3 times. He was part of the last team to win a trophy. And also the only team weve had reach the Champions League, when we were cheated out of it, but we all kniw that story. He spent 18 years of his life here. From loan Player, to Club Record signing. From Talisman, to captain. From youth coach to 1st team coach. And of course, Manager.

He was, for many, 1 of few shining lights in 1 of the most tumultuous times in our history. Growing up in the 90s, he was he gave me and many others hope and pride. He scored goals home and away against Liverpool and Man United and put fear into the hearts of many he encountered. At his best he was unplayable, scoring some of the best, and most importantly, memorable goals ive ever seen.

Did other people outshine him? A few. Kanchelskis was brilliant, but was gone before we knew it. Similarly Speed. Campbell out scored him, helped save us from relegation, and eventually partnered him in his return, and he will always be loved as well, especially for 1 particular goal in 99. Rooney shouldve been the 1, but again, was gone in the blink of an eye. Tim Cahill had a similar Presence to Dunc, and a similar hold over the RS. He is probably the only other person who comes near to Duncan as a hero to anyone growing up in that time period. And what of all the others? Yakubu? Lukaku? Richarlison? James? All great players who have worn the shirt and given us something special at different times, but none with the overall impact, longevity, and what it all boils down to, the memories that we take away.

Did he have his problems? Of course. Did he contribute as much as he could have? Thanks to injury problems, off the field issues and the almost persistent turmoil around the club during his tenure, perhaps not. He has said himself that he wishes he couldve done more, and he obviously has regrets.

But, for the memories, the achievements (he won more trophies than Hickson, Latchford, Lineker and many others combined), the stories, and most importantly, the connection he made with the club and the fans, he is in mind definitely a legend.
And then to Kenwrights mate. As I have said on here before I have no time for the man. Yes,he did score a couple of headers but then again he got sent off so many times when we were on a run in. Btw. He only came back to coach (or put the cones out) once he went bankrupt. Got no time for the feller and was very lucky to be with us when we were crap. Not that we are any good now like. Looks forward to Tony Hibberts autobiography.....

Didn't realise so many evertonians dislike dunc? Loved him

I get the impression it’s more to do with the period he played in. One FA Cup win aside, it was the start of a long period of the club regressing, dare I say becoming small time and maybe I’m wrong but there might be a element of frustration he’s put on a pedestal for a era that wasn’t great.

On top of that unnecessary red cards, not a great scoring record and so on.

I don’t think him being one of Bill’s defenders helped much either.

I like him but I get why some might not be so enamoured about the man.

And then to Kenwrights mate. As I have said on here before I have no time for the man. Yes,he did score a couple of headers but then again he got sent off so many times when we were on a run in. Btw. He only came back to coach (or put the cones out) once he went bankrupt. Got no time for the feller and was very lucky to be with us when we were crap. Not that we are any good now like. Looks forward to Tony Hibberts autobiography.....
You have no time for him. That's sound. All well and good. People not liking Graeme Sharp doesnt make him any less of a club legend. There are probably tons of former players, good and bad, that many people would have no time for, for various reasons.

But the "Kenwright's mate" thing needs to stop. I was no fan of his by any stretch, but its not beyond the realms of possibility for someone to be bad at something, in his case, being an owner, and to still have close personal relationships with people. Its not as black and white as "Everton unsuccessful. Me like Everton. He own Everton. He bad."

If you go around expecting everyone you like to hate everyone you hate, just because, then thats just lame.

Bill Kenwright being the worst owner in Everton history, does not make everyone he ever spoke to a villain by default. Its stupid and doesnt help anyone.

You have no time for him. That's sound. All well and good. People not liking Graeme Sharp doesnt make him any less of a club legend. There are probably tons of former players, good and bad, that many people would have no time for, for various reasons.

But the "Kenwright's mate" thing needs to stop. I was no fan of his by any stretch, but its not beyond the realms of possibility for someone to be bad at something, in his case, being an owner, and to still have close personal relationships with people. Its not as black and white as "Everton unsuccessful. Me like Everton. He own Everton. He bad."

If you go around expecting everyone you like to hate everyone you hate, just because, then thats just lame.

Bill Kenwright being the worst owner in Everton history, does not make everyone he ever spoke to a villain by default. Its stupid and doesnt help anyone.

Bill Kenwright was a duplicitous, manipulative individual that rewarded allies and cronies with access and jobs, whilst excluding those that criticised him

He would use proxies to push out positive PR for him. If you didn't back him you were portrayed as bad fans and disloyal to the football club

He was an extremely decisive and disgraceful individual

Those that have gone along with it have caused enormous damage to Everton Football Club

We all know it

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.