2022/23 Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting crosses blocked for corners is not good attacking play for me, but especially not for an actual attacker.
This is why playing the game makes a difference to perception.

If you’re attacking and the opposition hits you with a counter attack and wins a corner with no other options on for them its demoralising. Your whole team gets dragged back into your own box including the big striker etc. and you lose all your momentum.

McNeill realised often that we had nothing in the box so he won a corner, got the crowd up and we could bring the big lads up for a chance to score rather than whipping it in for nobody which he did in Dyche’s first games.

This is why playing the game makes a difference to perception.

If you’re attacking and the opposition hits you with a counter attack and wins a corner with no other options on for them its demoralising. Your whole team gets dragged back into your own box including the big striker etc. and you lose all your momentum.

McNeill realised often that we had nothing in the box so he won a corner, got the crowd up and we could bring the big lads up for a chance to score rather than whipping it in for nobody which he did in Dyche’s first games.
I've always felt that scoring a goal is more demoralizing to an opponent than winning a corner. Maybe my perception is just off.

I've always felt that scoring a goal is more demoralizing to an opponent than winning a corner. Maybe my perception is just off.
How are you going to score a goal by crossing it in to nobody mate?

Sure it won’t look glamorous on TV but winning corners and sustaining pressure rather than dangerously whipping a cross to nobody like he did early Dyche games is far better… obviously if we get someone good in the box we rather he puts it on their head, or picks them out like Doucoure against Brighton

How are you going to score a goal by crossing it in to nobody mate?

Sure it won’t look glamorous on TV but winning corners and sustaining pressure rather than dangerously whipping a cross to nobody like he did early Dyche games is far better… obviously if we get someone good in the box we rather he puts it on their head, or picks them out like Doucoure against Brighton
I'm just going to assume that not every corner he won was because it was the best possible option at the time.

It may have been the best option for him though which is the whole problem we're trying to address right now. We need him in positions where winning a corner is rarely his best move.

I'm just going to assume that not every corner he won was because it was the best possible option at the time.

It may have been the best option for him though which is the whole problem we're trying to address right now. We need him in positions where winning a corner is rarely his best move.
We do that by having players in the box and players who can keep up with the play and get in dangerous positions.

For all our trouble scoring all season, McNeill and his position was the least of our problems.

We do that by having players in the box and players who can keep up with the play and get in dangerous positions.

For all our trouble scoring all season, McNeill and his position was the least of our problems.
I could write a whole long post on why I disagree with that, not because we didn't have other major problems, but just because I think the way we were structurally put together in attack had massive limitations that better players (or at least better to the extent we can hope to acquire) won't actually fix. McNeil was central to that and because I find him useful he's the one I'd most like to see have it fixed for. I don't have the time to do that rn so we're just going to have to move on.

This isn't a stats thing. They get blocked all the time. He doesn't get the cross off a lot of the time. Those instances all matter. Even if on the occasion the cross gets in it is decent, and I'm not even sure that's the case often enough, you can't ignore all the failed attempts.

Purely eye test for me on this.
They get blocked all of the time the same reason Digne got blocked often. They don’t have a partner and they don’t have the pace to beat their man. Having said that teams still have to account for them every game so it opens things up for other players. We will open things up for him by getting better players- not by switching him to the right. And no, I am not against him playing on either wing. I think it’s mostly irrelevant for him where he plays. He is just a talented player that needs to be given help.

Should be tried on the RW he could shine as long as he can hit the odd cross with his right. He could cut in and hit goals with his left. Hopefully sign Gnonto and put him on LW
That’s the sort of nonsensical, brain dead approach Frank Lampard would take. The team won’t be set up to make “the odd cross”, it’s clear for anyone who even remotely understands what Dyche was doing last season. McNeil has also just finished the season as our (Everton) top scorer playing exclusively on the left. Is there anything about football that you have any idea about?

Hows big Sam doing mate? I thought you said Leeds were safe under that genius of a manager?

They get blocked all of the time the same reason Digne got blocked often. They don’t have a partner and they don’t have the pace to beat their man. Having said that teams still have to account for them every game so it opens things up for other players. We will open things up for him by getting better players- not by switching him to the right. And no, I am not against him playing on either wing. I think it’s mostly irrelevant for him where he plays. He is just a talented player that needs to be given help.
Agreed to an extent, but a massive difference when it is happening to a fullback versus a winger. This is honestly why he needs to play the right or more inside left too. The fullback can't attack the space down the flank when the winger is also down the flank.

I could write a whole long post on why I disagree with that
I find the more words someone needs to write about a topic as simple as football, the more wrong the opinion probably is

We’re all Everton fans, most of us watch every minute of every Everton game so whilst opinions will differ, there’s general consensus amongst an informed fan base.

If I say the three statements of
‘McNeill was our best attacker under Dyche’
‘McNeill was effective on the LW getting balls in the box, cutting inside and linking play, getting shots off and winning corners’
‘McNeill had a tough job with no attacking LB support, having to get back and offer lots of defensive support and often having nobody in the box’
Most people agree with these statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back