• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

Compare the level of hype and propaganda by Murdoch TV on the Thiago deal, versus the level of coverage and downright head-patting and scorn that the Hamez deal to Everton received - farcical!

This is why the telly clapping customers of Sabutamol FC think this fella is better than Messi/Ronaldo/Pele rolled into one player, without ever having watched him play - they believe everything that sky tell them and are quick to spout rubbish, instead of looking into the players in question - Hamez is in a different universe to this fella, yet it's being made out we've got a lemon?! Do me a favour.

I for one second am not saying that Thiago is not a good footballer - he is top class and will give them something different, especially in the CL, but what do they have to change from their very effective blueprint to fit him into the league team, and how does that play out?

He can't and won't affect the game when the ball is going sideways to the flying full backs to be whipped in for the 7 millionth time, or as it sails over his head with the big boot from [Poor language removed] Van Dyke.

Seeing their midfield has basically been hardworking but hardly world class, this bloke is a step up in that department so can't see how he fails to improve them.
their success involves moving the ball forward quickly to their fast lads by bypassing the midfield. If they play through the midfield, this will upset their currently successful plan. Good player, odd move.

Compare the level of hype and propaganda by Murdoch TV on the Thiago deal, versus the level of coverage and downright head-patting and scorn that the Hamez deal to Everton received - farcical!

This is why the telly clapping customers of Sabutamol FC think this fella is better than Messi/Ronaldo/Pele rolled into one player, without ever having watched him play - they believe everything that sky tell them and are quick to spout rubbish, instead of looking into the players in question - Hamez is in a different universe to this fella, yet it's being made out we've got a lemon?! Do me a favour.

I for one second am not saying that Thiago is not a good footballer - he is top class and will give them something different, especially in the CL, but what do they have to change from their very effective blueprint to fit him into the league team, and how does that play out?

He can't and won't affect the game when the ball is going sideways to the flying full backs to be whipped in for the 7 millionth time, or as it sails over his head with the big boot from [Poor language removed] Van Dyke.

Sabutamol FC lol

Love it mate lol ;)

Reds fan here. I think James will be the top assist maker in the league this season just ahead of De Bruyne.
Everton are sure to get top 3 this season. Everton are defensively solid now with midfield additions, and have great attack with James, Richarlison and CL.
Ancelloti is a great manager too. I think Everton will be ahead of Man United and Chelsea this season.
interesting game plan red friend, will bookmark this and see how it pans out.

their success involves moving the ball forward quickly to their fast lads by bypassing the midfield. If they play through the midfield, this will upset their currently successful plan. Good player, odd move.

I can see your point but surely they can still do this and then have something that can mix it up if required? Doesn't seem a bad move to me. Don't get me wrong I hope it's a disaster but to me I don't see how.

When we played them at Goodsion after lock down, they could not break us down, and lacked any idea's from the middle of the park.

This signing addresses that problem. Its clever, and a very good signing.

But, they look shaky at the back now, and lack depth. They need more in to take the title again imo.

Reds fan here. I think James will be the top assist maker in the league this season just ahead of De Bruyne.
Everton are sure to get top 3 this season. Everton are defensively solid now with midfield additions, and have great attack with James, Richarlison and CL.
Ancelloti is a great manager too. I think Everton will be ahead of Man United and Chelsea this season.
Koff you patronising [Poor language removed]

Cba with the James v Thiago debate. Lets just enjoy our own signings without comparing them to others.

Generally that’s what we’re doing tho.

But I’ve had loads of reds comment specifically on the James deal expressing their doubts etc.

And now that they’ve got Thiago they’ve gone into overdrive with their ‘one-upmanship’

‘Class above him lad, James isnt on the same level’

They’re never happy unless they’re goading others tho. Whether it’s after they’ve won a trophy and they have to go and vandalize an Everton statue, or if they’ve just signed a world class player and they have to come to an Everton forum and try to rub it in and get one over on us ‘bitter blues’

They will have been absolutely raging last week when we were centre of attention announcing deals left right centre. And now they’ve got 1 deal done it’s like: ‘We’ve got the last laugh, this will show dem bitta bloos’

If they play 4231 then they have nobody to play in the 10 without making wholesale changes further up the field

Firmino plays No.10 for them now. He occupies that space more than the No.9 space. Minamino played No.10 for Salzburg a fair bit. They’d need Salah to play No9 though and someone wide right.

I think it’s do-able for them and the only way to get the best out of Thiago. Needs a few parts moving around though.

not exactly what you want to do to a settled side and another reason why the Thiago signing isn’t as great as some are making out.

Been told by a few reds today that James is not in the same class as Thiago, and I’ve been scoffed at for even suggesting it.

Well, looking at the goal/assist stats it seems they’re right. Both players have played exactly the same professional club games, and James has more than double the goals and assists.

View attachment 101468

View attachment 101465
Yes, I know Thiago is a different type of player and he doesn’t play as far forward, but for the amount they are creaming their pants about him and dismissing James, you would expect a few more goals and assists than that while playing for two dominant teams in the division.

To be honest I actually really rate Thiago and think he’ll do well for them, but it does really wind me up the way that lot carry on. Let’s be honest, not many blues or reds have watched Thiago or James week in week out for the last few years, yet all of a sudden all the reds are experts about the pair of them

You can’t use goal and assist stats as the basis for your argument while also saying “I know they’re different types of player” really.

But they also can’t definitively say Thiago is in a different league to James for the same reason.

I don’t watch much outside of the prem so I don’t have much of a view either way on a comparison, but they’re both class players. You don’t have their resumes unless you are.

I expect both will have their struggles at times, likely in the busy winter period, but from what I’ve seen of them both, James is more likely to play a pass for an assist and get into the box on the end of something, while Thiago is more likely to play the pass that leads to an assist.

Are there stats for assists of assists. I bet some virgins somewhere record that, and I wonder if they do if that makes more comparative reading.

Given they score more from assists by their fullbacks than anyone else, I can see him doing well in that regard over here, but the reality is their midfield over the last two years has been workmanlike but effective. It’s led to them being tight at the back until recently when suddenly Keita has played more and they’ve started to look more exposed.

It’ll be interesting to see.

Personally, I’m not going to enjoy looking forward to them having to rebuild in 2 or 3 years time if they’re successful on the way. When that time comes, yeah, but in the meantime they look just as strong as anyone and this signing makes their squad better. Whether it makes the team better is anyone’s guess.

When we played them at Goodsion after lock down, they could not break us down, and lacked any idea's from the middle of the park.

This signing addresses that problem. Its clever, and a very good signing.

He doesn’t create or score though Pabs. He never has, he doesn’t hurt anyone.

He’s the Spanish Joe Allan. Just a nice tidy, yet toothless footballer.

He doesn’t create or score though Pabs. He never has, he doesn’t hurt anyone.

He’s the Spanish Joe Allan. Just a nice tidy, yet toothless footballer.

He is more than that, he is the assist the assister type, not every ball needs to be killer, and he is very very good on the ball, and keep those passes going. They dont have that at all.

He is like Gomes, similar type.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back