• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

They need better squad players and Jota will be happy to be a bit part player.

Thiago is a very good signing... however it changes how they set up their midfield.

Instead of 3 workhorses, they'll have 2. If they keep the high full backs, there'll have about 6 players in attack so I can see them being very susceptible for a counter.

Yes I agree with mosr of that. I just don't see it as to groundbreaking signings. £45m quid for a reserve seems very very steep to me. I means it's just under what City paid for De Bruyne.

As for Thiago, he is a very good player. Nobody has denied that. There are legitimate questions as to whether he can;
1) Handle the physicality of the PL
2) If they amend their system (which they will likely have too) they won't lose a bit from what they did previously to accomodate him
3) That he wil be an enormous upgradeon Wijnaldum who has been very consistent for them.

They are legitmate questions. Making he ticks all of those boxes. Maybe not.

They've paid over £70m to find out though, albeit spread over future years, so it's a lot of next years budget gone too.

So we spend £12m on James (assuming we paid the final year of his contract up front) around £22m on Allan and £20m on Doucoure and we are heavy spending Everton. Total around £54m.
Them lot, who apparently don't buy players spend £11m on the Greek full back, £25m on Thiago and now £45m on Jota. Total around £81m.

It's completely understandable as they won the league but the way it is reported is miles apart.

By all accounts it's a bit less on all of the 3 above. It's likely we have signed James, Allan, Doucoure,Brainthwaite and Nkonkou, basically all of our signings in 2020 for less than they've paid for Jota. Let that sink in.

Yes I agree with mosr of that. I just don't see it as to groundbreaking signings. £45m quid for a reserve seems very very steep to me. I means it's just under what City paid for De Bruyne.

As for Thiago, he is a very good player. Nobody has denied that. There are legitimate questions as to whether he can;
1) Handle the physicality of the PL
2) If they amend their system (which they will likely have too) they won't lose a bit from what they did previously to accomodate him
3) That he wil be an enormous upgradeon Wijnaldum who has been very consistent for them.

They are legitmate questions. Making he ticks all of those boxes. Maybe not.

They've paid over £70m to find out though, albeit spread over future years, so it's a lot of next years budget gone too.

I don't think it's too much for Jota. He's got potential and still young. They're champions, they need a better squad. City spend that much on reserve full backs.

As you say, Thiago changes how they play. Will rely more on their DMs than previous seasons, so if they don't step up...it could make them a little less solid IMO. Especially how their defence has been looking for the last 10 games

Jotas price keeps going up 45 mill according to sky now....
But they're not like other clubs who can go out and spend silly money

It looks to me like they've blinked on spending. Maybe they've had some concrete offers on players, or accepted that they have to lower the fees and get "creative" IE selling the likes of the young players such as Hoover/Brewster. What has motivated the change is interesting.

As it happens, Thiago makes a lot of ense to me. It's a short term move, but I'd have done that. On the basis that we can't compete in the medium term, you do all you can to win the league this season. I'm not sure I get rid of Origi to sign Jota though. I've always felt Origi was a pretty decent back up option for them. Maybe he wants first team football though?

I don't think it's too much for Jota. He's got potential and still young. They're champions, they need a better squad. City spend that much on reserve full backs.

As you say, Thiago changes how they play. Will rely more on their DMs than previous seasons, so if they don't step up...it could make them a little less solid IMO.

You would really place Jota, who is 23 and has never scored 10 goals as a striker at £45m? I'm not sure I can go along with that mate. He's Shaqiri level, and they paid about 15 for Shaqiri. I suspect Wolves are delighted to have got that fee for Jota.

You would really place Jota, who is 23 and has never scored 10 goals as a striker at £45m? I'm not sure I can go along with that mate. He's Shaqiri level, and they paid about 15 for Shaqiri. I suspect Wolves are delighted to have got that fee for Jota.
They’ve patently paid well over the odds for him as they wanted a low initial outlay deal and to spread the payments. Cash flow is obviously an issue for them at the minute, and their owners obvs haven’t been prepared to lob in a directors loan to alleviate the issue.

Werner was nailed on to join them for his release fee of £47.5m, only they obvs didn’t have the liquidity post COVID so have ended up with a far inferior option for £45m on the drip.

Taking his age, proven premier league, and quality...I think it's about right. Fits better as a back up for Firmino than Origi does.

Also, they've struggled to get anyone as a back up striker that's any good. They went for Werner but I'm pretty sure he turned them down cos he'd be a back up player than a starter so went to Chelsea. Spurs have the same problems in getting a striker who knows he isn't playing over Kane...but is good enough to fill his boots.

They’ve patently paid well over the odds for him as they wanted a low initial outlay deal and to spread the payments. Cash flow is obviously an issue for them at the minute, and their owners obvs haven’t been prepared to lob in a directors loan to alleviate the issue.

Werner was nailed on to join them for his release fee of £47.5m, only they obvs didn’t have the liquidity post COVID so have ended up with a far inferior option for £45m on the drip.

Thats exactly it. It's also probably a good way to look at it. In the short term, structuring deals across a contract is much better. As you say there is a price for that, and seemingly it's about double what Jota would probably have cost. It's the price of liquidity. Seems the same with Thiago, £27m, but only 5 of it up front.

The issue with Werner I also think was agents fee, sign on fee etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the "real" price for him wasnt closer to £80m. You can make a case he's worth it in the current market, but it is a vastly different deal.

Taking his age, proven premier league, and quality...I think it's about right. Fits better as a back up for Firmino than Origi does.

Also, they've struggled to get anyone as a back up striker that's any good. They went for Werner but I'm pretty sure he turned them down cos he'd be a back up player than a starter so went to Chelsea. Spurs have the same problems in getting a striker who knows he isn't playing over Kane...but is good enough to fill his boots.

Fair enough mate. I just think it's a lot for a back up who's never scored 10 goals. Isnt Minamino meant to be a back up?

Think Jota will do well to be fair, the price is what it is. I thought we’d over paid when we bought Richarlison at a similar price. Hopefully he’s [Poor language removed] like but they dont seem to recruit poorly these days.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back