• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

It's a Mickey mouse cup that nobody cares about and that probably won't even exist in 5 years time

Best thing the authorities could ever do is exclude the sides who qualified for europe the season prior from competing in it in the current season.

Would give every other side including Championship clubs the opportunity to win something of note instead of City/RS/Chelsea/Utd every single season.

Best thing the authorities could ever do is exclude the sides who qualified for europe the season prior from competing in it in the current season.

Would give every other side including Championship clubs the opportunity to win something of note instead of City/RS/Chelsea/Utd every single season.
I get this point of view and to some extent I agree, however I do think it’s something that the above clubs would actually prefer to happen.

The League Cup’s influence on their finances is minimal compared to the PL and CL; it doesn’t hold the prestige of the dwindling FA Cup either.

So, they’d have the same squads (filled with depth) and less games to play, meaning they’d have even more focus on the above competitions.

It would potentially tighten their grip further. Also, while I’d love us to win the league cop, it would further dampen its reputation and finances.

I’d rather we won something of worth rather than a tin pot cup, which is how those clubs, the media and abroad would play it.

But is it better than winning nothing? Probably.

and stop them bishing about how many games they have to play

We had our chance 10-15 years ago when the league cup wasn’t taken seriously. The top sides would often play their reserves and concentrate on Europe.
Then you get serial winners like Pep and Klopp whose mindset is to win everything. The teams they put out now are often very strong. Added the 5 subs rule has probably benefited them as they can sub at least 4 players during cup games when the jobs done.

I get this point of view and to some extent I agree, however I do think it’s something that the above clubs would actually prefer to happen.

The League Cup’s influence on their finances is minimal compared to the PL and CL; it doesn’t hold the prestige of the dwindling FA Cup either.

So, they’d have the same squads (filled with depth) and less games to play, meaning they’d have even more focus on the above competitions.

It would potentially tighten their grip further. Also, while I’d love us to win the league cop, it would further dampen its reputation and finances.

I’d rather we won something of worth rather than a tin pot cup, which is how those clubs, the media and abroad would play it.

But is it better than winning nothing? Probably.

Long term I think with the fixture schedule and the CL clubs constant complaining it'll either be what is suggested above or the cup scrapped all together. That would be a disaster as the FA Cup remaining as the only domestic trophy would see the big boys going full strength from the off making it impossible to win.

The League Cup should be like the Europa Conference in that it gives smaller teams the chance to win something. I would certainly celebrate winning it as I imagine WHU fans did in the EC which is in all honestly a 3rd tier competition.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back