• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
An incredible set of quotes have been released by Liverpool owner John W Henry this weekend regarding the story of how Arsenal tried to trigger Luis Suarez’s buyout clause for £40m and one pound.

Liverpool’s owner made the comments at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Saturday.

Talking about Arsenal’s bid for Luis Suarez in the summer of 2013, John Henry has now admitted that Arsenal DID meet the Uruguayan’s buyout clause however Liverpool refused to let the player go regardless.

Rather than live up to the terms of the agreement in Suarez’s contract, the American owner decided he’d rather play hardball and force the Gunners to take Liverpool to court in the Suarez transfer saga.

John W Henry made the following eye-popping remarks:

Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world. He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals – this year we’re tied for 2nd … we’re actually 2nd because of goal difference.

They offered £40m+£1. What we’ve found … is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football. It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.

We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to. Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we’re just not selling [Suarez].

It’s been great for Luis, it’s been great for us, and what will happen at the end of the year I think we’re going to make the Champions League, we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

We have 3 gentlemen up front Suarez/Sterling/Sturridge, [they] are young, I think Luis and those 3 could be together for a long time.

An incredible set of quotes have been released by Liverpool owner John W Henry this weekend regarding the story of how Arsenal tried to trigger Luis Suarez’s buyout clause for £40m and one pound.

Liverpool’s owner made the comments at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Saturday.

Talking about Arsenal’s bid for Luis Suarez in the summer of 2013, John Henry has now admitted that Arsenal DID meet the Uruguayan’s buyout clause however Liverpool refused to let the player go regardless.

Rather than live up to the terms of the agreement in Suarez’s contract, the American owner decided he’d rather play hardball and force the Gunners to take Liverpool to court in the Suarez transfer saga.

John W Henry made the following eye-popping remarks:

Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world. He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals – this year we’re tied for 2nd … we’re actually 2nd because of goal difference.

They offered £40m+£1. What we’ve found … is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football. It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.

We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to. Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we’re just not selling [Suarez].

It’s been great for Luis, it’s been great for us, and what will happen at the end of the year I think we’re going to make the Champions League, we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

We have 3 gentlemen up front Suarez/Sterling/Sturridge, [they] are young, I think Luis and those 3 could be together for a long time.

Gone from Liverpool after the World Cup, Suarez.

Gone from Liverpool after the World Cup, Suarez.

no offence but nearly everything you've predicted this season with regard to liverpool has turned out be wrong.

he'll be there next season, why wouldn't he ? or are you clinging to the hope madrid will break the world transfer record two seasons running ? no chance of that mate.

Add to that the fact wenger aside the rest of the top 7 had managerial changes this year mate too besides for them, all in all they wont have a better shot for donkeys years and their still gonna come up short, with european games next year can see them having a hard job getting in the champs league again the following year, and thats if they keep rat face

Good point.

It really is all or nothing for them these last 10 games in the PL. They'll have next to no chance of winning a PL or CL again in the foreseeable future. You need a massive oligarch/sheik injection of investment to challenge for either of those trophies when you're involved in both. Henry cant/wont fund it. They have their shot this season because the stars have aligned in such a way that two forwards are firing on all cylinders at the same time.

That cant last until the end of the season, and the defence is too much of a liability for it not to cost them dear when the crunch comes. To be honest, I expect this to be over after the United/Liverpool game in a fortnight. By the time that kicks off Chelsea could be 10 points ahead of everyone else. If United beat Liverpool that'll be pretty much that for them entering the finishing straight. City could well peg that back, they have the firepower to turn games in hand into maximum points. But for the first time this season I'm edging toward Chelsea to pip them (though GD might prove City's friend again!).

no offence but nearly everything you've predicted this season with regard to liverpool has turned out be wrong.

he'll be there next season, why wouldn't he ? or are you clinging to the hope madrid will break the world transfer record two seasons running ? no chance of that mate.

I only predicted one Liverpool related thing mate: they would be out of the top four in the Christmas period. I was right.

Suarez/Madrid: why would you think for the first time in history Madrid would baulk at a stupendous fee for a player?

I only predicted one Liverpool related thing mate: they would be out of the top four in the Christmas period. I was right.

Suarez/Madrid: why would you think for the first time in history Madrid would baulk at a stupendous fee for a player?

you predicted united to finish above them though - that not liverpool related?

Actually you said Christmas, period was never mentioned so stop embarrassing yourself we all make mistakes you just seem to constantly make them when it comes to Liverpool.

I can't stand these supposed professional commentators, ex footballers etcetc, who fail to see that Suarat always turns then kicks the leg of the defender to gain a foul or penalty. It really bugs me that the game is going downhill.........sorry for the moan.......

Actually you said Christmas, period was never mentioned so stop embarrassing yourself we all make mistakes you just seem to constantly make them when it comes to Liverpool.

Considering your continual stalking of davek and not too subtle defending of Liverpool you'd be forgiven if some folk thought you might be a disgruntled kopite from a rival forum on here to defend the kopites.

Obviously your post history will show clearly you're a blue mate so no beef here.

Considering your continual stalking of davek and not too subtle defending of Liverpool you'd be forgiven if some folk thought you might be a disgruntled kopite from a rival forum on here to defend the kopites.

Obviously your post history will show clearly you're a blue mate so no beef here.
Cheers mate.

I'm petrified to come on this forum these days. Stalkers everywhere quoting what I said verbatim on obscure dates like December 2009.

I picture them all in a cave dancing around a cauldron throwing bat wings into it and chanting my name.

It's very scary.

I'm petrified to come on this forum these days. Stalkers everywhere quoting what I said verbatim on obscure dates like December 2009.

I picture them all in a cave dancing around a cauldron throwing bat wings into it and chanting my name.

It's very scary.

Its the cost of fame mate. Stay strong for, you can't help other club's fans obsession with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back