• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest......

A team that is having such a good a run as them after a terrible start to the season you have to actually give credit to them rather than just call them lucky. thats right, they are lucky for consistently winning these games, got nothing down to the team or manager at all. All the goals keep cannoning in off balotellis arse rather than them scoring.

It borderlines the bitter blues tag to be honest. This season i havent cared one bit about liverpool, hope they lose games but still dont concern myself with how they get on. but fairs fair they turned a possibly terrible season into one we thought we were going to have, and have done it despite not having a striker for 3 months, not too bad.

I hope they dont achieve anything sure, and they bomb out of europe every year but thats wishings for another day.

NEGATRON SAYS "BITTER BLUES? FEEL THE BITTER CHILL OF A GOOD SOLID NEGGING"
Megatron.jpg

ALL HAIL NEGATRON

Wouldn't go that far. He's still the same manager who has never won a major trophy, never won a knockout European tie, is routinely embarrassed in Europe by average sides, grossly over pays for poor players, and managed to throw away the league when he needed 7 points from two home games and crystal palace. That said i think he recognises the premier league for what it is - a competition where technical football is almost redundant. There's so many poor sides trying to knock it around the back (ahem) that if you just abandon the paasing pretence and go first time to quick players you can steam roll the lot of them because they're not good enough to punish you when you let them have the ball. Europe is different as if you give the ball away a top side will hurt you and there are no friendly referees to give you game turning pens from your one foray upfield.

Martinez on the other hand still doesn't get the premier league. Its a zoo where you are better off trying to manage the turnover in possession than keeping it. In Europe however where sides want to play and can do so the approach works well in negating the threat of top sides.

Ultimately if Martinez perfected his approach theoretically it would be the better one as you would be in control dictating the play. Rodgers system will always rely on the opposition not being that good in possession but being happy to have it (hence why teams with no ambition like Bolton Blackburn and Everton blunted them). Also helps when you have ridiculous good fortune.

No denying though that Rodgers has adapted to the prem better than Martinez. He is clearly not as principled which for obce has worked in his favour. That said only one has a chance of a European triphy this year.
...this years winner of the internet...

At this moment in time, they are better than us, the table doesn't lie, to argue otherwise would be churlish. I honestly believe though that they are on the decline and that over the next few seasons our opposing fortunes will change. In any case, I will always prefer being a blue than one of them though.

After finishing Xmas and Easter champions last season,then splashing out the cash to strengthen the side,I doubt that battling
it out for the final CL spot is quite the giddy heights the deluded ones were expecting to hit,it was supposed to be the season that they go again,show Europe how they are one of the greatest teams on the continent
They are faring better than us at the moment no point in arguing otherwise but still not the glory they assumed was waiting

D.Mirror 2/3/15
Brendan Rodgers: Defeat at Crystal Palace in November was the turning point in Liverpool's season
Brendan Rodgers says the Reds' defeat to Crystal Palace in November was the turning point of their season.....
Rodgers told talkSPORT: “The Crystal Palace defeat was a defining moment in our season. Palace were excellent on the day.
“I needed to come away from that and really look at the team. We were certainly nowhere near the level we’d been in the last 18 months. That was a turning point".

two weeks later, today.........

The Times 17/3/15
Rodgers said. “We have put ourselves in a great position.”
He cites the 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford in December as the turning point in their campaign, since when Liverpool have won ten of 13 league games, including their past five. “Hopefully this weekend will show the strides we have made since we played [United] and these are massive games to be involved in,” he said. “It is a different team with a different mentality. We were struggling to find the solutions then. Lots of new players and we were nowhere near as consistent then. We still put in a good performance. We saw enough in the game that day to show we could get the results going forward, so we arrive with confidence.”

The "lots of new players" excuse getting another airing and the bonus of two turning points since November. Vintage Pearl Drops.

D.Mirror 2/3/15
Brendan Rodgers: Defeat at Crystal Palace in November was the turning point in Liverpool's season
Brendan Rodgers says the Reds' defeat to Crystal Palace in November was the turning point of their season.....
Rodgers told talkSPORT: “The Crystal Palace defeat was a defining moment in our season. Palace were excellent on the day.
“I needed to come away from that and really look at the team. We were certainly nowhere near the level we’d been in the last 18 months. That was a turning point".

two weeks later, today.........

The Times 17/3/15
Rodgers said. “We have put ourselves in a great position.”
He cites the 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford in December as the turning point in their campaign, since when Liverpool have won ten of 13 league games, including their past five. “Hopefully this weekend will show the strides we have made since we played [United] and these are massive games to be involved in,” he said. “It is a different team with a different mentality. We were struggling to find the solutions then. Lots of new players and we were nowhere near as consistent then. We still put in a good performance. We saw enough in the game that day to show we could get the results going forward, so we arrive with confidence.”

The "lots of new players" excuse getting another airing and the bonus of two turning points since November. Vintage Pearl Drops.
And of course we've been equally hoping for a turning point, especially after the festive period.

To be honest......

A team that is having such a good a run as them after a terrible start to the season you have to actually give credit to them rather than just call them lucky. thats right, they are lucky for consistently winning these games, got nothing down to the team or manager at all. All the goals keep cannoning in off balotellis arse rather than them scoring.

It borderlines the bitter blues tag to be honest. This season i havent cared one bit about liverpool, hope they lose games but still dont concern myself with how they get on. but fairs fair they turned a possibly terrible season into one we thought we were going to have, and have done it despite not having a striker for 3 months, not too bad.

I hope they dont achieve anything sure, and they bomb out of europe every year but thats wishings for another day.
This season has to be taken as a whole. They spent £125M in the summer and are 5th in the league and were knocked out of Europe twice.

They've had a good run of 12 games.

Not a massively positive thing to shout about for them at the end of the day.

This season has to be taken as a whole. They spent £125M in the summer and are 5th in the league and were knocked out of Europe twice.

Plus they've had £40m plus of strikers on the books who've not been injured and have been available to play, it's just Brenda couldn't figure out how to use the exspensively assembled players he'd bought. It's more that yet once again luck has played a large part in their upturn in form. Surely the movers and shakers over at the pit must look at the likes of Lovern, Balotelli etc etc sitting on their pampered backsides week after week and wonder when they'll get a game and justify their fees and wages.

See im not kissing their arse, more this year than any i have no interest in how they get on. But i just think the form they are currently in is the type of form that puts them in touching distance of city who for most of the season have been in the two horse race. How can it be down to luck that rodgers has turned them around?

I get the money spent argument and fair enough, yes with that amount invested they should be higher. But then the form they have been in, you could argue if they hadn't had a slow start to the season or lost sturridge to injury for so long then they would be in that title race now and the argument would be invalid. All ifs and buts i know, im not trying to fight thier corner, far from it. I just think their upturn in fortune is not down to good luck, they are just going out and getting results every week which is what we have lacked. It might only be 12 games in your eyes, but if we had those 12 games as well there would be no questioning our manager all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back