• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

I'd just like to clear up what seems to be some confusion over the issue : he was convicted of using racially abusive words during one short occasion in a match.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racist

That does not mean that as a person, that his actual beliefs and views are that he is

"a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others. "

He could be quite capable of making the comments he did yet thinking the complete opposite of the above.

Sure, it would still be right to call him a racist and he was rightfully punished for what he said but there is a huge difference between Suarez and the worst kind of racists who genuinly do have hatred for other races.
I remember David James writing in the guardian about homophobia in football. He obviously mentioned the Robbie Fowler incident with Graham Le Saux. James said he didn't think Fowler was really a homophobe but was just trying to wind up an opponent. I think it's a good point. And possibly the crux of this whole shennanigans. Using racist slurs in football (or anywhere else) is unacceptable. Even if it is just to wind up an opponent. Suarez has been rightly punished for just that. I would hope any player found guilty of the same would receive the same punishment. Starting with John Terry. The FA are going to be in for a lot of flak if he gets off with it. But that hasn't stopped them from being stupidly inconsistant in the past.
You can picture the rojitos* blaming this for them not winning the league.

*term of affection

Alvin Martin made a right plank of himself on Talksport earlier.

He basically said this is more of a punishment to the RS, as "as a business he is their prized asset..."

hahahahaha.

Their player, their responsibility. Saggers had me in stitches with his "well that's their tough luck" attitude..

"In fact, one of the least edifying aspects of this whole sorry case has been the number of people who sought to exonerate Suarez even before they knew the facts."

That's bang on the money.

Very much so. I sort of offset it by considering the tribal nature of fusbal fans but it was quite staggering. More so that he's still back by the vast majority. He was found guilty and banned, why back him and claim skullduggery?

It's definitely out of character and unexpected. I doubt they'll press charges or anything like that though.

I reckon it will go to appeal mate, they've took a strong stance in their reaction to the decision. Part of me thinks well it's worth a go as he's your best player and the other part thinks that they should be condemning racism rather than the flimsy churlish position they've took.

Bearing in mind what the Mirror's printed, it should be interesting to see the Echo tomorrow, see whether the owners have had a word or whether it will be the usual crap.

I have 6 year old spuzz rags lying around and they have more sense than that. But to be fair, said spuzz rags are worth a million kopscums.

I meant it in the sense that it's out of character from the official website, which usually just relays facts from other places. It's the first time I've seen something on it that isn't either from another source or impartial.

If this was one ours I'd want the book thrown at him and the club to come down on like a ton of bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back