• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said many times that I don't personally support what Suarez said, but then I don't really see the point of insulting someone however you want to do it. Seems a futile exercise to me. The point I was trying to make however is that you can't guarantee how two different people will react to the same message. In this case, some may react like Evra did, some may react like Dixie did, others might just laugh at your attempts to wind them up in such a crass way.

I'm not bothered really by what was said because I'm not at all bothered by either of the individuals that were involved in the conversation. My problem is the whole bloody fuss this has created. It's not evidence of racism in football or anything of the sort, it's just two probably less than intelligent footballers mouthing off at each other. Players probably hurl insults at each other dozens of times every game. How often do you think a player would call another player a fag if they felt he was play acting for instance? God only knows how often similar and worse insults spew forth from the terraces towards the players.

Frankly we should all get a bloody life. Of all the really very serious things going on in the world right now, the stupid utterings of these two pillocks should not register anywhere. They should both be told to grow up and it should be done in private. Why anyone cares is a mystery.

Of course all sorts of abuse goes on between players during a game, mostly never reported, and which will continue ad infinitum. What this case has done however, is draw a line as to where that abuse becomes unacceptable and will not be tolerated. It has become unacceptable for crowds to racially abuse players over the last 10 or 15 years, but it seems that it still went on between players. It was tolerated because no-one else heard it and was therefore very difficult to prove. Evra deserves credit for sticking his neck out and insisting something was done about it. You can't lump it in with all the other 'stuff' which as you say, players should get over. That's the whole point.

The general reaction today from the average fan seems to be more about how cringeworthy and embarrassing the club statement is rather than the ban and fine. You couldn't make it up. :lol:

They're a laughing stock. I'd like to hear Henry's take on this. He must be furious how wrong the chuckle heads running his club screwing up like that.

New Libpewl home and away strips for next season released...

rwkxs2.jpg

I like the fact he has had the book thrown at him, and made an example of.

a bit of karma, if you will.

Of course all sorts of abuse goes on between players during a game, mostly never reported, and which will continue ad infinitum. What this case has done however, is draw a line as to where that abuse becomes unacceptable and will not be tolerated. It has become unacceptable for crowds to racially abuse players over the last 10 or 15 years, but it seems that it still went on between players. It was tolerated because no-one else heard it and was therefore very difficult to prove. Evra deserves credit for sticking his neck out and insisting something was done about it. You can't lump it in with all the other 'stuff' which as you say, players should get over. That's the whole point.

Agreed. Racism is not a single act or even a series of acts but an invisible phenomenon that pervades society, oppressing a certain group of people (as such, being white and therefore not historically economically oppressed, I cannot suffer through racism though I may well be a victim of racially motivated acts).

What happened to Evra was a act of racism, it wasn't "racism" itself. I don't think Suarez is a racist (in the same was that Nick Griffin is) but he was guilty of being racist (of committing a racist act) towards Evra.

The more acts of racism are challenged, the weaker the force of racism is in society, though it will arguably always be there to some extent.

*dons tin hat*

Reaction of the Liverpool fans who seem to camp outside Anfield on SSN

#1 "There's no evidence whatsoever"

#2 "They're picking on him"

#3 "It's because of Man United"

Awww bless, look at them toeing the company line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back