Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suarez was kept against his wishes and ended up having the best season of his career. They might keep sterling plus he could lose millions if the rs keep him on a low contract. Dangerous by sterling agent

Ward wasn't the one who went to the media saying greedy young Raheem turned down 100k per week. Since then he has been subjected to a torrent of abuse from their army of ex-players in the media. For being a money grabber.

The facts are, sterling won't get much more than that if he goes to another club. Liverpool, even taking last season's fluke into account, have an average league finish of sixth over the last six seasons. That's the reality of what they are. Upper mid-table. A Europa league team. I didn't hear dozens of ex-spurs players slating Bale, Modric, van der Vaart for not signing new contracts when they wanted to go to other clubs where they had more chance of winning trophies. Even at utd, as massive as they are, they are not talking about 'greedy de gea' and saying how dare he victimise the legendary institution that is Manchester united like this.

Sterling and his agent have borne this criticism for months and I think they have just finally had enough. He wants to win things. He sees Liverpools ambitions as below his, and despite the hordes of rs pundits ranting about how massive and special a club they are, he is right. They can't even give a decent reason for him to stay, other than, he will play more at Liverpool. Yeah, I am sure he is dying to stick around the club that has played him at wing back and as a target man, and a manager that keeps him on for 120 minutes against lower league opposition in a cup match, while publically warning his international manager off playing him for his country. Best place for his development my arse.
Agree with all your criticism of Liverpool's tactics and the reasons why it makes sense for Sterling to leave.

Just don't think his agent has done a particularly good job of getting that message across. For instance he has made very little use of either their appalling CL performances or the fact that they are not even qualified for it this year. There has been no mention of them getting kickout of in their first EL round or their embarassing FA cup result. Or talking about their inability to recruit quality replacements. Your post above has done more to convey that than anything I've seen him achieve.

He has allowed Liverpool to anger him enough to lose his temper and throw insults rather than facts around.

Agree with all your criticism of Liverpool's tactics and the reasons why it makes sense for Sterling to leave.

Just don't think his agent has done a particularly good job of getting that message across. For instance he has made very little use of either their appalling CL performances or the fact that they are not even qualified for it this year. There has been no mention of them getting kickout of in their first EL round or their embarassing FA cup result. Or talking about their inability to recruit quality replacements. Your post above has done more to convey that than anything I've seen him achieve.

He has allowed Liverpool to anger him enough to lose his temper and throw insults rather than facts around.

And, of course, if/when ward mentions the shoite's shortcomings, the rats will really turn on sterling (he's gone anyway as it is - why make it more acrimonious for his client?) AND ward because they won't like being reminded of their failure, and set the alarm bells off to their (unwary) potential targets i.e. those that were thinking of joining for anything other than the dough.

We know that decent players are turning them down left right & centre simply because they are cack. If they were any good, then wages wouldn't be an issue. They can afford £100k+ weekly for hendo nagasaki so that says it all. They're gettin' desperate. The penny will never drop in the cultist collective. They will console & delude themselves that players didn't join for x-y-z reason other than that.

I'm sure ward fears the bullets in the post more by telling them the truth that they're cack club going absolutely nowhere, than he does calling carragutless a knob.

IMO ward's playin' it correctly.

Slightly surprised to see this on Sky
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...act-liverpool-must-know-the-value-of-sterling
The sceptics are out in force and understandably so. Raheem Sterling's claim that he just wants "to be seen as a kid that loves to play football" was an admission that perception is important now. A public relations battle. A phoney war. But with future talks now on hold the relationship between player and club appears to have deteriorated further and Sterling is in the firing line.

Many will feel there is no way back with the greedy young man narrative gathering pace. They'll tell you that Sterling has shown flashes of potential but has managed little more than one good season. John Barnes has joined the list of Liverpool greats pointing out that the youngster has much to prove and even more to learn. Others are on hand to stress that Sterling owes Liverpool a debt of loyalty.

But amid the cacophony of noise surrounding Sterling's contract, the curious attempts to downplay the player's significance ought to be given short shrift. The salary figures mentioned might well be dazzling and when the story features on the main evening news, the public forum is shifted from the Kop to the Co-op, where perspectives on footballers' wages can be rather less sympathetic.

Against this backdrop, the danger is that we lose sight of the vast potential that has inflamed such opinion. As a result, it is worth revisiting some of the statistics that serve to highlight the point that this is not an ordinary talent. Football might be a global game but the list of players showing similar levels of quality to Sterling at the same age remains remarkably short.

Remember when they played him against Huddersfield in the league cup then they gave him a note to pass to Hodge that he was too tired to play for England PMSL

Liverpool have handled this badly, you and I agree that they have been trying to paint Sterling as a greedy kid who should just listen to his superiors. But don't think Ward has handled the response very well either.

Releasing the bombshell he did on Monday, right before their awards ceremony was effective in it meant he got a nice "Sterling booed" headline to back up his narrative. However it must have ruined what should have been an enjoyable experience for Raheem and the weekend game will be probably be even worse.

It might all work out with Sterling moving to a CL club with more chance of silverware and a higher salary. But he has made his client suffer a lot of personal abuse/reputational damage to get it, surely there are better ways to achieve his goals? Especially since his client is only 20, think he has a duty to protect him a bit more and not convinced this "burning bridges" tactic is the only one that could have been taken.

Yeah, it's created a lot of bad blood between player and club, which shouldn't really happen to a player barely out of his methaporical nappies. But I think Liverpool cast the first stone on this one. Then the second one, third one, fourth one and fifth one. I firmly believe they leaked the initial details of contract negotiations, initiating a slowly escalating campaign of intimidation that got worse and worse, until it became an unsavoury PR war that Sterling could never possibly win. Bear in mind, the agent's name has been dragged through the mud too and, whether he deserves it or not, he's probably kept quiet on some of the murkier details with regards to LFC's behaviour in the whole affair.

Yeah, it's created a lot of bad blood between player and club, which shouldn't really happen to a player barely out of his methaporical nappies. But I think Liverpool cast the first stone on this one. Then the second one, third one, fourth one and fifth one. I firmly believe they leaked the initial details of contract negotiations, initiating a slowly escalating campaign of intimidation that got worse and worse, until it became an unsavoury PR war that Sterling could never possibly win. Bear in mind, the agent's name has been dragged through the mud too and, whether he deserves it or not, he's probably kept quiet on some of the murkier details with regards to LFC's behaviour in the whole affair.
Perhaps not.

Tbh just thankful that whatever has gone on behind the scenes with Eto'o or Distin, or in the contract negotiations with Mirallas or Garbutt, that our club haven't tried this sort of media pressure tactic.

Think it both a pretty low thing to do and even worse not particularly effective at achieving anything other than ruining your reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back