football-18x18.png

Andy King
football-18x18.png

Trevor Ross
football-18x18.png

Duncan McKenzie
football-18x18.png

4833276a03624011bbfa1f500d7af1a3.jpg

Lee was to McKenzie is what Koeman was to Barkley, imo.

Last edited:

Nice fella, but perhaps too nice for Sir John.

Certainly signed some great players - Vernon- GV - Gabriel - Alex Parker- promoted Brain Harris - Tommy Ring - etc all were the mainstay in the 1963 championship side - He was sacked when we were 5th! Went out in style with a massive home win as you stated too gentle for the late Sir John Moores!

yes brought in some great players, and was a real blue, can see him now arriving in his Rolls with the JM 1 plate (wonder if anyone else is using that Reg.).

A free £56,000 loan for Carey to spend and he sacked him in a taxi with 15 months left on his contact as 5th was not good enoughlol
How times change!;)
Is it correct that they did not intend to tell him in the taxi but got caught on the hop by a journalist who asked them if there was any truth in the rumours that they were going to sack him as they set off? So they felt they had to come clean and told him?

Billy Bingham
Steve Burtenshaw
Gordon Lee
Howard Kendall
Colin Harvey
Jimmy Gabriel
Howard Kendall
Jimmy Gabriel
Mike Walker
Joe Royle
Dave Watson
Howard Kendall
Walter Smith
David Moyes
Roberto Martínez
David Unsworth
Ronald Koeman
[David Unsworth]

Worth noting only two of them ever won a trophy. Those screaming out how big and ambitious we are and demanding Ancellotti might want to bear that in mind. But that's a different thread ... begging your pardon.

As we embark on our search for the next manager at goodison, I was wondering where I stand in the general population of this forum, in terms of the number of managers' teams we've seen play at Everton in person.
I was born in 78 but didn't get to my first game until Harvey's spell in the late 80s

So the managers I've seen are

Harvey
HK 2
Walker
Royle
HK 3
Smith
Moyes
Martinez
Koeman
+ Dave Watson as caretaker.

So 10 in all.. Makes me feel quite old. As the number is growing quickly!

Of all, the one I look back most fondly on is Royle.

Who's got the most?

Same as you but got the joy of watching Kendall mark 1 as well

Went to games when i was too young to really remember, where Royle and Walker managers (assuming Watson too), however, I won't include them.

So

Kendall Mk. 3
Smith
Moyes
Unsworth (and Royle)
Martinez
Koeman

25, and that's it.

Not a bad run that really.

Howard Kendall
Colin Harvey
Jimmy Gabriel
Howard Kendall
Jimmy Gabriel
Mike Walker
Joe Royle
Dave Watson
Howard Kendall
Walter Smith
David Moyes
Roberto Martínez
David Unsworth
Ronald Koeman

I was lucky enough to witness the Kendall era as a young lad. Not sure if that is a blessing though as that is the level I expect from Everton even after all these years in the wilderness.

I have put the caretakers in italics and underlined Unsworth as I have watched a lot of the U23s with him in charge and enjoyed his set up far more than the Dutch muppets.

Most of the managers are a mix of mediocrity, Royle the nice centre. Moyes tried his best but got stale after years of us being the nearly men.

The first, and best I saw was Kendall. The last was the worst in Koeman. A disgrace to this football club.

Is it correct that they did not intend to tell him in the taxi but got caught on the hop by a journalist who asked them if there was any truth in the rumours that they were going to sack him as they set off? So they felt they had to come clean and told him?
spot on they were visiting a FA meeting by train - got a taxi - Rumours were rife so carey asked for the truth after the meeting on their way for a meal in a big hotel so sir john moores told him he was being let go with a golden handshake - hence the saying from older blues when a manager is failing like koeman - they shout - TAXI!

Status
Not open for further replies.