EST Safe Standing Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yet again, we have somebody else who is also agreeing with my badly informed nonsense, I sense a pattern emerging here. I wholeheartedly agree that increasing capacity by 100%, from 5k to 10k would have dangers, even with allocated seating, or 'rail seating'. This has always been my fundamental concern on this topic.

Your last paragraph is a Straw Man. The truth is that English football has progressed and improved beyond all recognition since all seater stadiums were introduced, and that people have been standing infront of their seats for years with little problems to speak of. The desire to change the safe and successful arrangements that have been in place for 25 years is far from being universally popular, and there quite simply is not enough support to push it through, and therefore it won't be happening.

You still haven't shown how the act of standing caused Hillsborough.

The fact you think that standing in front of seats is perfectly acceptable compared to rail seating shows how much knowledge you have on the subject quite frankly. Interesting that you were calling people naive earlier in the thread

You talking about a surge in a seating section? How would that happen?

Just looking at Wycombe's terrace, it's only about 8m from front to back, not too much danger there.

Youve never ended up a couple of rows away when scoring a big goal?

first happened to me at Leeds away (rooney) and loads ended up on the pitch, its happened loads since as well

first happened to me at Leeds away (rooney) and loads ended up on the pitch, its happened loads since as well
I don't get to many games, but of all the goals I've seen, I can't say I've ever seen anyone swept out of their seat. Can't even imagine it tbh!

There needs to be some test data of a team using this in England. One or two clubs need to be designated as the guinea pigs to try it out, and if there's no issues then I honestly can't see how there'd still be opposition at that point

The FA are too scared of upsetting LFC / the Hillsborough family groups. It's as simple as that.

Needs a change in the law first, which is where the Safe Standing Campaign comes in. To get a change in the law, we'll need the vast majority of clubs to be in support of it.

Last I heard Everton didn't seem supportive.

From http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38014711

Issues around reintroducing standing at stadiums are believed to vary from club to club, with Everton confirming they are "not considering" safe standing.

So there's a lot of work to do locally first, which is why it's important that any surveys can't be easily dismissed by the club.

You talking about a surge in a seating section? How would that happen?

Just looking at Wycombe's terrace, it's only about 8m from front to back, not too much danger there.

Happens regularly, especially at aways.
Old Trafford when Oviedo scored was the most memorable one in recent times and was actually quite scary. A mother and her daughter were next to me and nearly got knocked over by someone coming down from the row above, which wouldn't happen with rail seating.

Can't remember where it was either this season, or the previous one, but I ended up one row down and three or four seats to the side after some big bugger fell on me from the row above.

Needs a change in the law first, which is where the Safe Standing Campaign comes in. To get a change in the law, we'll need the vast majority of clubs to be in support of it.

Last I heard Everton didn't seem supportive.

From http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38014711

Issues around reintroducing standing at stadiums are believed to vary from club to club, with Everton confirming they are "not considering" safe standing.

So there's a lot of work to do locally first, which is why it's important that any surveys can't be easily dismissed by the club.
I do wonder whether Everton 'not considering' it (either for GP or the new gaff) means they don't support the concept in general?

Old Trafford when Oviedo scored was the most memorable one in recent times and was actually quite scary. A mother and her daughter were next to me and nearly got knocked over by someone coming down from the row above, which wouldn't happen with rail seating.

Can't remember where it was either this season, or the previous one, but I ended up one row down and three or four seats to the side after some big bugger fell on me from the row above.

Nearly did this in the top balcony once... The Gosling winner V Liverpool.

Luckily the guy next to me grabbed me as I was teetering on the edge above the next row.

Scary stuff.

Nearly did this in the top balcony once... The Gosling winner V Liverpool.

Luckily the guy next to me grabbed me as I was teetering on the edge above the next row.

Scary stuff.

Particularly scary in the Top Balcony. That'd be one hell of a domino effect and the Main Stand might never recover !

There is a serious point here. If people are going to stand, then standing in front of rail seats is, almost by definition, safer than standing where many of us currently do.

So long as that doesn't mean squeezing more people into the same area, it's a no brainer, but we have to recognise it's a sensitive subject around Merseyside and so a softly softly approach is required to make sure that everyone understands this makes going to football matches safer than it currently is.

Particularly scary in the Top Balcony. That'd be one hell of a domino effect and the Main Stand might never recover !

There is a serious point here. If people are going to stand, then standing in front of rail seats is, almost by definition, safer than standing where many of us currently do.

So long as that doesn't mean squeezing more people into the same area, it's a no brainer, but we have to recognise it's a sensitive subject around Merseyside and so a softly softly approach is required to make sure that everyone understands this makes going to football matches safer than it currently is.

Education is the big problem, lots of people have no idea what it is and refuse to budge on their opinion as we see every single time it is brought up on here. The same falsehoods are repeated over and over.

Exactly. At Spurs, I was standing next to my brother, but there was a staircase between us. We were at the end of each row of seats. When each of our goals went in, the people behind pushed straight into the back of us. I would've gone over the edge if I hadn't stepped out onto the stairs. My brother did the same, and was pushed forward to the bottom of the stairs by the pitch edge, about 8 rows. Someone a few rows behind me did go over, and it wasn't pleasant.

You still haven't shown how the act of standing caused Hillsborough.

The fact you think that standing in front of seats is perfectly acceptable compared to rail seating shows how much knowledge you have on the subject quite frankly. Interesting that you were calling people naive earlier in the thread

I don't need to show how standing played a fundamental role in the Hillsborough disaster because the Lord Justice Taylor has already done so in his rather comprehensive two reports that were published over 20 years ago, the second of which advised the government to prohibit standing at all major football matches in England as a safety measure in response to the disaster. If standing played no role whatsoever, then it wouldn't have been prohibited, but it was, and it's going to stay prohibited because people consider it to be unsafe, no matter how much people choose to whinge about it.

Education is the big problem, lots of people have no idea what it is and refuse to budge on their opinion as we see every single time it is brought up on here. The same falsehoods are repeated over and over.

Maybe you should show these uneducated people all of the empirical studies which show that rail seating never results in an increase in capacity, and that it is an unequivocally safer option than allocated seating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back