Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ndiaye 63'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beto 76'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holgate 85'

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters
It just screams “terrified to make a mistake” to me. This whole notion of “proven” and “unproven” PL players has been our curse for years.

JOB, N’Diaye and Lindstrom MIGHT be crap (and they also might be boss), so instead he falls back to players he knows to be mediocre, but have that all-important PL experience.

I’ve vowed not to be as vehemently against Dyche as I have been, unless/until he gives me proper cause, because he won us enough points to be comfortable last year against the odds, but this is a horror start for that mindset.

More pragmatic. It's pretty much the same line up as last season, so there's a familiarity in showing the new players the set up and what's expected.

It's a very good bench to make an impact.

The thing on our side is Goodison, it’s going to be banging for every home game in our last season there.
Loud for 5 minutes, Brighton take the sting out of the game with possession, Goodison turns back into a library as we struggle to even get a corner to bring the noise up, then we concede and it's flat for the game until Ndiaye comes on and maybe brings a bit of last 10 minute noise and a few corners which ultimately come to nothing as Brighton score a second and kill us off.

Not an awful lot to that side really is there? Ironically, Iroegbunam starting is only down to Garner being injured otherwise not a single new signing would be involved from the off.

I'm absolutely convinced by the way that Dyche isn't really arsed about the first 4-5 games of the season. Just seems to go through the motions a bit.. almost as if he treats them as an extension of pre season..
There will be no tactics discussed today, still building up match fitness. Just get 90 minutes in the legs of the favorites...

It's not actually far off a team from 2 seasons ago either

United spent big on De Ligt, Mazraoui and Zirkzee and only started one of them last night

Ipswich have had Phillips and Szmodics on the bench today

Arsenal have got Calafiori on their bench

Brighton only have 3 of their signings playing today

Newcastle don’t have any signings in their 11

Etc, just because you make signings doesn’t guarantee you have to start them

united are better
arsenal are better newcastle are better
brighton are better

ipswich are ipswich

everton can’t afford to spend 60 mill and then dyche go all PEP

Tbf, I would have picked Keane as well. He's had a decent pre-season and crucially has PL experience. Although everyone loved O'Brien in preseason, proper matches are different and he is still young and inexperienced. Think he needs to be eased in as he was obviously bought as a replacement for a central defender. (Tarkowski can't go on forever either.)
We need to bring in fullback cover but Young is the best option (again Dixon is nowhere near ready). Young vs Holgate? Young every time.

It just screams “terrified to make a mistake” to me. This whole notion of “proven” and “unproven” PL players has been our curse for years.

JOB, N’Diaye and Lindstrom MIGHT be crap (and they also might be boss), so instead he falls back to players he knows to be mediocre, but have that all-important PL experience.

I’ve vowed not to be as vehemently against Dyche as I have been, unless/until he gives me proper cause, because he won us enough points to be comfortable last year against the odds, but this is a horror start for that mindset.
He needs to go into today with an attacking gameplan at the very least. Anything else is going to really test the patience of the fans right at the start of the season.

Meek play alongside a meek selection would not bode well.

I’ll take a wild guess here - we’ll be absolutely crap in the first half.
First 15 well look good because the boys will be fired up and told to go all out pressure. After that Brighton will find control and be on the front foot. We’ll try to get to half 0-0. No changes at half time. Brighton control the second half until they take a 1-0 lead. Dyche is forced to make a change at 75 minutes. New boys come on, look decent, but don’t have enough time to make an impact. Late goal Brighton. 2-0 defeat. Dyche says we missed chances when we were on the front foot early on and doesn’t acknowledge the obvious problems.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back