Everton 1-0 Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all the doubts about Jags I think the 3 consecutive clean sheets - including against free-scoring Spurs - and the goal-saving block today, I think we can safely say he's another great buy by the Moysiah (y)

And considering the fact that Reading were there for the taking, and we could have given our GD a healthy boost towards the [Poor language removed]'s, I hope the Yak is proud of himself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I blame that useless git VDM on the bench, he gives out negative vibes and the smell of the boozer(y)(n)(y)

Not Exactly Encouraging

Was that the worst midfield display we've put in this season, or what? Unreal how many times a Hoop picked up a ball in midfield with, like, 15 yards of space! One Lescott error aside, the defence was sterling as usual (careful Joleon-you'll soon be known as the new Joey) and it's a bloody good thing.
From a bad bunch, I thought Ossie was probably our best player. Mikel started brightly, but faded. Cahill was non-existent, but it's a little unfair to knock him today given the fact that he finished first in the transcontinental sprint 'n all this week.
Aj had poor service (can you blame him that he's started alone AGAIN against two v. competent centre-halves?). He should've scored, though.
This match reminded me of the home match vs City last season (when AJ missed a six-inch sitter @1-0).
Thank [Poor language removed] JV came on at half-time and not at the 75-min mark.
Yeah, you gotta win ugly sometimes, but that was Betsy Blair ugly (from Ernest Borgnine film,Marty).
Obviously, we really missed Peanut again.
Thanks, Ayegbeni. Hard not to think it would've been more comfortable had he been a little more responsible.
Still, 3pts, a clean sheet, winning a game we should win and that's 3 more pts than the Pinkies will pick up this weekend. Come on Pensioners.

Last edited:
Cisse-Sonko treated AJ like their own personal plaything for the 2nd time this year. Thanks Yak!! You know if you wanted to stay in Nigeria you could have won.

Timmy Howard's save against Hunt's free kick was alot better than it looked. With the sun in his eyes I don't think he saw it til it was only a few yards in front of him.

JV played well. Someone should tell him that ritalin isn't candy though.

I've havent been as critical as most people with Neville's play, but he was awful today.

I always get scared when Nicky Hunt touches the ball. Its good that no one on reading could hit the target anymore. Lets ship Manny back to Valencia and pick him up when Reading goes down.

Even though it was outside the box we got lucky on the Carsley handball.

My MOM was Jags. The goal was nice but his block when Lescott made a mistake was better.

Whew!!

Last edited:
A couple of observations:
  • On the goal, the replay shows Jags marker just on his back, right shoulder as Osman plays the ball in. Had he been ruled off, it would have been harsh.
  • I"m gonna say it now but I want Hibbert in for Neville. Neville's distribution again today was shocking and I believe Hibbert's a better defender so time for Hibbert to get a run in the side.
  • Too much space in the midfield for Reading. They'd close us down fast but we couldn't do the same.
  • I'm a big backer of Carsley but he had a poor match. Just a step behind the pace of the game the entire match.
  • I didn't even know Cahill was playing until minute 20. I"d have pulled him for Vaughan instead of Fernandes.
  • Defense solid again. How many clean sheets in a row is that?

Oh, and Arteta's set piece delivery again was lacking. Time to find someone else who can be more consistent in that dept. until he gets his touch back.

Jags clearly onside. The ref actually had a good game.....Correct in not giving the Carsely hand-ball given that Cisse had another clear ball-to-hand incident waved on as well.

Cars lucky to get away with the early challenge on Hunt that PISSED Hunt off.

Listen. I hope Moyes realises that we're simply uneffective in a 451 formation at the moment. I want him to trust our now excellent back four to do the defending, and push up into a 442 for more attacking options. When Johnson challenges for long balls he hardly ever wins, and when he does he gets forced into the channel and our midfield simply aren't offering any support, and even if a cross does get in we rarely have options in the box.

Johnson's hard work in chasing long balls into the corners works against us, as when he does get hold of one of them the passer is vindicated as Johnson now has possession in an advanced position, and perhaps they think that sort of long ball is OK.

Another thing we must realise is that our small team are not a team of battlers who can win long balls and especially the second ball effectively, we play good football along the ground in fits and starts, this is our strength and we should focus on it. We know these players are good enough to play well against even the most successful sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back