Match Thread Everton 3-0 Doncaster Rovers - EFL Cup Second Round - Tue 27 Aug 7:45pm

Your Everton MOTM vs Doncaster Rovers

• Total voters
1000053992.webp

Bizarrely we may well start the game with a better team than has started the 2 league games
It’s a good opportunity for Dyche to save face and save his ego by giving the new players a run out in the cup, too.

Rather than immediately starting them in the league and looking like he’s been forced into admitting selection mistakes, he can spin it as necessary rotation, and giving the new guys a chance to prove themselves.

Then, if they do well, he can reasonably say that giving them a game in the cup helped get them ready for the league and he can look like a great decision maker.

If it forces a change for the better, it’s all good with me. He can take all the credit he wants.

Amazing to see people still willing to select Keane.

He plays, we lose. It's that simple.

Pickford
Holgate O'Brien Tarkowski
Harrison Armstrong Iroegbunam McNeil
Lindstrom Beto Ndiaye

Dixon, Mykolenko and Maupay to come on around 55/60 mins to see out a comfortable 4-1 win.

Tarkowski doesn't look fully fit to me mate. No one wants to play Keane but he's still a better option than Holgate.

….i’d be very surprised if the likes of Holgate starts. I think we learned from last season, Dyche likes to play a strong side in the cup games, he won’t use players he doesn’t intend to call on this season.

….i’d be very surprised if the likes of Holgate starts. I think we learned from last season, Dyche likes to play a strong side in the cup games, he won’t use players he doesn’t intend to call on this season.

I think Dyche has already made his call on Holgate by starting Dixon the other day. Besides maybe they think that they can get him gone by the end of the month so don't wanna risk an injury.

It’s a good opportunity for Dyche to save face and save his ego by giving the new players a run out in the cup, too.

Rather than immediately starting them in the league and looking like he’s been forced into admitting selection mistakes, he can spin it as necessary rotation, and giving the new guys a chance to prove themselves.

Then, if they do well, he can reasonably say that giving them a game in the cup helped get them ready for the league and he can look like a great decision maker.

If it forces a change for the better, it’s all good with me. He can take all the credit he wants.
Exactly.. assuming they play well.....

I think Dyche has already made his call on Holgate by starting Dixon the other day. Besides maybe they think that they can get him gone by the end of the month so don't wanna risk an injury.

…agree. I’m not 100% sure if Dyche was manager when Holgate got sent-off at Palace but I have it in mind that he was and wasn’t in the least bit enamoured with him.

…agree. I’m not 100% sure if Dyche was manager when Holgate got sent-off at Palace but I have it in mind that he was and wasn’t in the least bit enamoured with him.

Yeah he was, 0-0 on the day if I recall but he really could have cost us that day.

Exactly.. assuming they play well.....
Yes. It’s a roll of the dice we need to make, and I’d rather we gave it a go than carried on doing the same things.

I’ve seen enough from him to see that Dyche does eventually change course, it just takes him too long to do it. This cup game is the nudge he needs.

Alright mate just take a step back from assuming Dyche has only bad intentions.

Do you not see an argument for waiting for the first cup game to try out the new lads? Even if it's not what you would do, do you at least see someone might choose to do it that way?

Moyes would often do this btw

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back