Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Agree Fee With Man Utd For Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
For crying out loud, it's not about what he's worth. No-one really thinks he's worth £100million.

Erm....exactly? So why is anyone angry that we're selling him for less?
Let's say I have a car worth £5k and you want to buy it. I know it's worth £5k, you know it's worth £5k. But I know you really, really want it, and tbf it's a good car. I tell you I want £10k for the car, knowing full well it's not worth that and that you won't pay that. But I tell you that's the price and I'm sticking to it.

You offer £5k and I tell you I'm not selling for. Ultimately if you really want the car (which you do) you're going to have to pay way more than you want to for it. Eventually after loads of back and forth you offer £7.5k for it and I know you will walk away if I don't accept. That'll do me very nicely, and I agree to sell.

When I go home and tell my missus that I've sold a £5k car for £7.5k do you think she's going to be happy or fuming?

I wonder what selfie or video they can make together, if Rom takes his title as the world' most expensive player. They'd better hurry up as they are meant to join their teammates at the weekend.

There'll be a few united players thinking, we've got to put up with these two whoppers for the next 10 months :mad: :pint2:

Would love to understand how on earth anyone can feel that £75m plus add ons is not brilliant business. Several things stand out for me:

1. Romelu Lukaku is never in a million years worth £100m. That would make him the most expensive footballer in history of the game. He's a very good striker, but he's not THAT good. His tendency for very patchy form and his two recent non-performances at major international tournaments say to me that there's something missing that prevents him from hitting the true heights. He may still get there, but he hasn't yet and therefore cannot possibly be viewed as being worth that money.

2. Romelu Lukaku is probably not worth £75m, in all honesty. When you look at which other players have gone for that kind of money. You're talking Pogba, Bale, Ronaldo, Higuain. Pogba for me doesn't deserve that fee either. The others are IMHO a level or several levels above Rom. Certainly Bale and Ronaldo are. £75m, plus add ons takes him to their level. Let's be honest, do any of us think he's THAT good? He's a good goal scorer but there are glaring deficiencies in his game and the tendency to not exert his influence the way he could and should. He needs to grow and improve an awful lot as a player lot to justify is kind of fee. Lacazette joined Arsenal today for what..£46m? Truthfully I think Lukaku's worth is much more at that end of the market.

3. Even if Everton did leak the £100m price tag, there's no way the could possibly have thought they'd get it. When you have an asset like Lukaku, who is under a long contract with no release clause - you set your price high knowing that clubs are going to try and drive you down. Had we set it at £75m, we might have been lucky to get £65m. Setting the bar unrealistically high means we get more than he's probably actually worth.

4. We paid £28m for Lukaku in 2014. Anyone honestly think he is three times the player he was then? He has improved for sure, but not THAT much. Genuinely, I think we're getting a brilliant deal here.
5. Has never been injured in all his time at Everton, luck must be due to run out soon

ACL anyone?:coffee:

Of course they'll ignore it, purely cos they want to. Like this 'missing training' nonsense. It all fits a narrative for some.

Anyway, this dough doesn't even cover our summer spending so bin the sell to buy stuff.

Another big name to come now I reckon. Not counting Arsenal's Frenchman in that.

Rom for £90m, plus £10m for Del, £8m for Cleverley and getting Kone's wages off the books. Possibly up to £4m for McGeady.

All in all I reckon we're now about at evens in terms of transfer spend since Moshiri took over. And yes, there's going to be plenty more spent (as there has to be).

We've got a new stadium very much on the horizon and are debt free, with a credit facility with the world's largest bank and a hugely improved commercial aspect of the club. Still work to be done, but we're going in the right direction.

To me, that's good business.

He was 29 and had just come back from a major injury...

Six years ago, £10m for a 29-year-old wasn't selling low... Even though that summer was a bloody disgrace like
We did very well getting £10 mill for Arteta. I really liked the lad but We got him cheep, had his best years, he was in decline & wanted to go. Arsenal didn't ruin him, we sold at the right time.

He doesn't have to go anywhere. He's got two years on his contract and a World Cup on the horizon. He's going nowhere unless someone coughs up £100million

He would poison the dressing room.
We are building a team perhaps not for today but as the pieces fall into place it will come together.

Last thing you need is a big time Charlie undermining everything and everyone.

Good riddance to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back