Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Agree Fee With Man Utd For Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul-Pogba-Serge-Ibaka-and-Romelu-Lukaku.webp

"Look Mummy, we're rap mega stars"

...and it proves my point entirely.

Oh, as things stand, when Lukaku shuts the door behind him later today we will be two years into the Moshiri "revolution' with a negative net spend.

...there's your punchline.
Bet when your missus comes through the door with the weekly shop and starts telling you about the bargains she's got, you cut her off with the plaintive cry of 'WHAT ABOUT THE NET SPEND'!!!!!!! :)

It's no use trying to maintain we are witnessing anything fundamentally different at the club now just because we saw early forays into the transfer market. In the end it all comes back to a small negative net/net spend when the window closes.

Everything has to balance in the end Dave, it's a business.

The difference now is we have a more progressive accountant at the helm who can and will sanction bolder moves. The most obvious example being that 5 years ago we'd sell Lukaku first, then buy. Now we have the resources to buy before selling him.

We could probably even (just) afford the risk that he may not go? However I am of the opinion that we would not have spent what we have without being pretty sure.

I do still think we will spend more than we sell this window as it goes, but that money is already recouped (and then some) in ~3 years when you look at the increased quality of youth talent we have brought in and those we are still trying to acquire. These assets have higher chance of exponentially increasing in value vs what we've bought in before.

In fact the frugal Moyes era of having to push through youth players due to lack of resources has turned out well for us, as now we are a hugely attractive prospect for quality youth players... not sure we can credit anyone with fore-sight there, just a happy accident.

Billionaires become so by taking the occasional risk, but they don't stick around long by being financially reckless.

I do not think this is as signed and sealed as the media seem to think. I cant see Abromavich just taking this on the chin can see a few twists and turns yet, Rom loves Chelsea. More interested now in his replacement we need spend big on proven player striker

I can see why Abramovich isn't keen to buy Lukaku back. He's paying out and extra £70-odd million for a player that was already his once. Id be a little annoyed at what must feel like a massive loss.
He has just improved Conte's contract, so now he really has to back him. Offer really needs to come in sharpish though?
United makes alot sense - lives up here, friends with Pogba, knows Fellaini well, they are the richest club etc etc.

Giroud is more likely to head to Marseilles according to todays papers, Rooney will be a decent acquisition with all his experience, but possibly too similar in style to Sandro. I would like to see Morata here as a marquee, but if Lukaku goes south, United will switch their attention back.
Dzeko from Roma might be a shout - similar in style to Giroud?

But he wanted to leave? What are we supposed to do other than sell as high as we can?

I'm not saying by this summer the situation was recoverable. Last summer was the point at which patience ran out for him. Regardless, we are paying for incomings with the sale of quality players...and the incomings so far aren't all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back