Everton confirm rejecting 28M for both Fellaini and baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they finally got the message?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/423542/Manchester-United-interested-in-Southampton-s-Luke-Shaw-as-Leighton-Baines-alternative?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

MANCHESTER UNITED have enquired over the availability of Southampton left-back Luke Shaw as they draw up a list of potential alternatives to Everton’s Leighton Baines.
The highly-rated Shaw, 18, is regarded as one of England’s best prospects, and United manager David Moyes has checked on him after facing up to the prospect of missing out on Baines.

Shaw signed a five-season contract at Southampton in the summer and starred in the opening-weekend victory over West Brom to underline his importance to the Saints, who do not need to sell.

But the teenager, who is rated at about £10million, has come under renewed scrutiny by United in the past few days after a joint £28m bid – rising to £30m – for Baines, and his club-mate Marouane Fellaini, was dismissed as “derisory and insulting” by the Goodison Park club.

United are expected to increase their offer to about £35m over the coming days and are unlikely to split the bid and just go for one or the other.

Yet there seems little chance of Everton caving in even at that improved figure, with chairman Bill Kenwright having made keeping Baines, in particular, his priority.

Everton’s trenchant stance with United is partly motivated by their anger over how Moyes was, effectively, appointed behind their backs by Sir Alex Ferguson when still in charge at Goodison.

Former United chief executive David Gill apologised to Everton for the way Moyes was installed as Ferguson’s successor. But resentment still lingers.

There is also the fact that Everton believed they had an agreement with Gill’s replacement, Ed Woodward, that United would not bid again for Baines when a second offer of £12m was rebuffed. A first bid of £9m was immediately rejected.

More likely to be a planted story to make Baines feel he has to push for a transfer. Koff Moyes it's as transparent as your pasty skin

Last edited:
the players ability no longer determines the fee though does it ?

andy carroll to liverpool for instance

I agree with that to a point

We could hope Arsenal panic in the next few weeks and throw a massive bid in to blow Utd out the water

This weekend might tell us everything we need to know about the two; with Gibson probably not fit - and tbh regardless of that - Fellaini is an instant starter. If his heart is set on a move and he's told the manager then we won't be playing. Can't be risking an injury if the opportunity of a move to the biggest team in the world is available.

Baines imo is the ultimate professional and wouldn't suggest not playing or feigning injury even if he fancied the move. However be very scared if one or both of them don't look at the races this weekend.

:(

I agree with that to a point

We could hope Arsenal panic in the next few weeks and throw a massive bid in to blow Utd out the water

well yeah

Lescott was a great defender who scored a good few goals also, but 20 odd million ??? we still got it though

if they want players we don't really need to sell, then make us an offer we can't refuse

I'm saying this on the basis that the money goes straight into strengthening the team though, which it may well not

This weekend might tell us everything we need to know about the two; with Gibson probably not fit - and tbh regardless of that - Fellaini is an instant starter. If his heart is set on a move and he's told the manager then we won't be playing. Can't be risking an injury if the opportunity of a move to the biggest team in the world is available.

Baines imo is the ultimate professional and wouldn't suggest not playing or feigning injury even if he fancied the move. However be very scared if one or both of them don't look at the races this weekend.

:(

The bid came before the Norwich game and they both played.

The key to all this now is the bank, if they ask for money we are ****ed and the transfer of one or both will go through. I pray we are in a good position with them as if we are we can tell United to do one. If not we are in for a depressing season unless it is done quickly to give Martinez time to spend any money he gets.

The key to all this now is the bank, if they ask for money we are ****ed and the transfer of one or both will go through. I pray we are in a good position with them as if we are we can tell United to do one. If not we are in for a depressing season unless it is done quickly to give Martinez time to spend any money he gets.

I think any replacements will already be lined up and i can't see the banks being an issue this year with some big earners gone and the tv money to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back