Everton history thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last, well done Dylan for showing the locals up Chico thought it was their inside leg measurement matching!

Next questions

Who wrote the following?

'Throughout its history Everton has been noted for the high quality of its football. It has always been an unwritten but rigid policy of the Board, handed down from one generation of directors to another, that only the classical and stylish player should be signed. The kick and rush type has never appealed to them'

This statement seems likely to have given birth to the 'School of Science' tag

It was claimed that this advice was handed to every Everton manager, one or two of the recent incumbents must have disregarded it!

Its author is a man who most will have never heard of but he should really be an automatic entry in any Everton 'Hall of Fame', why is this so?

Last edited:
am i right in saying steve bloomer of derby county said it?

Sorry Saint no, but it was his generation mate. As I said most will never have heard of this bloke but he served the club for nearly 50 years, but in what capacity's

Last edited:

As we've had no takers for this one the answer will be posted tomorrow afternoon(y)

Right no takers, was the question too hard?, the answer is Will Cuff. He is described as the most influential man in Everton's history. He trained as a solicitor but gave that career up to become secretary of EFC, form there he went on to become a director and eventually chairman of the club. He was known for his love of fast flowing and pure football and made sure that those principles were applied throughout the pre-war period. It was his dream that saw Goodison Park become the premier club ground in the country in his day. Cuff was the prime mover to the creation of the Central league for reserve teams in 1911 and was also an instigator of the PFA. It is strange the way such a visionary can be forgotten, at least now some more people might just recognise his name.

Not wanting to make matters too difficult, Everton had a famous outside left amateur who went on to become a director and eventual chairman of Manchester United, serving there until the mid 60's. He was credited with the evolution of the Mancs as a force in English Football, name him.(y)

For a second time on the trot I've no takers on this historic gem, do you want me to continue with this thread or should the mods close it?:sad:

Right no takers, was the question too hard?, the answer is Will Cuff. He is described as the most influential man in Everton's history. He trained as a solicitor but gave that career up to become secretary of EFC, form there he went on to become a director and eventually chairman of the club. He was known for his love of fast flowing and pure football and made sure that those principles were applied throughout the pre-war period. It was his dream that saw Goodison Park become the premier club ground in the country in his day. Cuff was the prime mover to the creation of the Central league for reserve teams in 1911 and was also an instigator of the PFA. It is strange the way such a visionary can be forgotten, at least now some more people might just recognise his name.

Not wanting to make matters too difficult, Everton had a famous outside left amateur who went on to become a director and eventual chairman of Manchester United, serving there until the mid 60's. He was credited with the evolution of the Mancs as a force in English Football, name him.(y)

I read an Everton book with that in only a couple of weeks ago, and I've forgotten the answer, and also the name of the book I was reading!

Earlier you mentioned that our first FA Cup game was against Rangers, wasn't that declared as a friendly?

back in the bad old days footballers worked during the day. is that why they trained at night?

Wasn´t it because they used to practice so long that it was night time when they finished?

EDIT: Oops, I didn´t notice this topic was already this long and that the right answer probably came ages ago! :D

Last edited:
If You want I could come up with some questions too. Believe it or not we have quite a lot of knowledge about Everton amongst our Finnish EFC-supporters! One of those, Hans Fyhrqvist, has even written EFC-history - in Spanish! :cool:

"Not wanting to make matters too difficult, Everton had a famous outside left amateur who went on to become a director and eventual chairman of Manchester United, serving there until the mid 60's. He was credited with the evolution of the Mancs as a force in English Football, name him."

Harold Hardman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back