Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I agree but wish we'd have got a deeper midfielder in, perhaps instead of either VDB or Alli. Could be wrong like, and I guess (or hope) the new boss has a clear plan, because I know those above him don't.

Playing 3 players means you don't need 2 defensive minded players. I think our issue has been more the numerical difference. We need 3 players to match up opponents, especially because our midfielders have flaws. We've been overran in there too often but it's not like our opponents have had Makalele, Keane, Viera etc.

Could play Allan and Gomes in front of the back 4, with Van de Beek further forward.
I know Lampard played a 4-2-3-1 with Derby and Chelsea sometimes so it would be Gray,VDB, Richarlison behind DCL. Not sure where that leaves Dele though? Unless VDB played further back with Allan and no Gomes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to get a couple of midfielders yesterday. But I look forward to a day when we are not scrambling around with a new manager on deadline day looking to find players to save us. Good teams don't tend to be active on the final day of the window every year. We need to get away from this.
Honestly, last day activity on the buy side means that players don't really want to go to your club. Targets' agents have been instructed to get them the best destination/hold out for the best deal. On the sell side, it either means that you don't want to sell or that you think you have a hot enough commodity that someone might swoop in.

We fix that by becoming a destination. For all of his faults, Lampard did establish a reputation of playing the kids and sticking with them at Chelsea. That should help when it comes to attracting the young talent we need to rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back