Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsworth looking for final day boost after “difficult” week for Everton via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-481255266.0.jpg

Everton's temporary manager hoping to end the season with a victory and says the team owe the fans a performance

David Unsworth has challenged his players and the fans to end a disappointing campaign on a high against Norwich on Sunday.

U21 coach Unsworth is to take charge of the senior side along with former Toffees manager Joe Royle following the departure of Roberto Martinez on Thursday.

The former Everton defender couldn't hide his delight at being asked to manage his boyhood club, though he conceded it was not in the most ideal of circumstances.

"It was a difficult day yesterday for everybody at the football club.

"I’ve been involved in football forever and it’s never an easy day. A good man has lost his job and that’s always difficult. But that’s football management, and it’s always a difficult time."

"It was the proudest moment of my life yesterday when I got the call. It was difficult because Roberto was the man who brought me back to this club with the Under-21s, and then when Alan Stubbs left he was first on the phone to offer me the job.

"I’ve got nothing but great words to say to Roberto and he’s a top guy. The chairman phoned me and asked me to come in. We had a chat, but I said I wanted to speak to Roberto before anything, and typical of him, it was actually Roberto who had put my name into the hat."

Switching attention to Sunday's game against Norwich, Unsworth admitted that the players owed the fans a performance after a horrendous run that has yielded just one win in 10 games.

He also hopes that with Martinez gone, the supporters can channel their efforts into getting behind the team rather than protesting against the manager.

"I think there will be a change of mood with the fans on Sunday. It’s not been an easy place to play recently. We owe them a performance on Sunday and we owe them a win, and the way we play we will try to get them up and get them behind us.

"We worked on a couple of things and we will pick a team to win the game. We want the performance but we want a win as well. That is vital."

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Rafael Benitez or Roberto Mancini? Either would be attainable successors for sacked Everton manager Roberto Martinez via Daily Mail

JAMIE CARRAGHER: Ronald Koeman is the man Everton want to succeed Roberto Martinez with the promise of a huge transfer fund this summer.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton players did not gang up against Roberto Martínez, says Tim Howard via The Guardian

• It’s a load of rubbish, says Goodison Park goalkeeper
• USA veteran to play 414th and final game on Sunday against Norwich
Tim Howard has said there was no dressing room mutiny against Roberto Martínez at Everton and the players share responsibility for the underachievement that cost the manager his job.

Martínez was sacked on Thursday following a dismal run of results and performances that indicated the players had stopped responding to his methods. Southampton’s manager, Ronald Koeman, is the preferred replacement of Farhad Moshiri, Everton’s major shareholder, with Frank de Boer also under consideration.

Related: David Unsworth tells Everton’s players they owe Goodison Park a performance

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton open talks with former Ajax boss Frank de Boer over becoming new manager after Ronald Koeman brushes off interest via Daily Mail

EXCLUSIVE: Frank de Boer made his pitch to become Roberto Martinez’s successor as Everton manager on Friday. De Boer is available after stepping down from his Ajax role.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Party time at Everton as Mark Hughes rules out managerial move via NSNO

Stoke City boss Mark Hughes has said that he has no interest in taking over from Roberto Martinez at Everton and has sparked wild celebrations across Merseyside.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Unsworth ‘proud’ to manage Everton for Norwich match via NSNO

Caretaker manager David Unsworth has spoken of his pride at managing Everton for their final match of the 2015/16 season.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton vs Norwich City: Match Preview via Royal Blue Mersey

GettyImages-495234008.0.jpg

Everton's shambolic season is nearly at an end, but now they must see off three of three of the team's finest ambassadors with a win

At this point in Everton's dull and disappointing season, there is more to talk about off then pitch as opposed to on it. Roberto Martinez has been sacked, speculation about his replacement is rife and many supporters are already looking forward to a new season and a fresh slate.

Fans are rightfully angry with the turn this season has taken and you will be hard pressed to find anyone, fan or pundit, that will disagree with the sacking of Martinez there are some aspects of this match that should be celebrated and surrounded with positivity. First, this will be the last match in Everton blue for goalkeeper Tim Howard. While his last two season have been less than stellar, Howard has been a rock in net for Everton for ten years and has shown time and time again that he his nothing short of a true Evertonian. This will also likely be the last match for midfielders Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar. Both players may be well beyond their prime, but they were excellent ambassadors for the club and all three departing players should be celebrated for their contribution to Everton.

The Opposition

Norwich are headed back to the Championship having yet again been unable to separate themselves from the bottom of the Premier League table. After Sunderland's midweek defeat of Everton, Newcastle and Norwich sealed their fate and will be going down next year. Former Everton man Steven Naismith joined Norwich in the winter in search of more playing time and unfortunately found himself unable to have much of an impact on the squad. He finished his season with Norwich having tallied only one goal and one assist.

Dieumerci Mbokani and Nathan Redmond will be the offensive threats that Everton will have to contend with this week. The duo have accounted for 13 goals, far and away the best on the club, and Everton's shambolic defense will have to keep tabs on them.

Team News

Tony Hibbert was the most recent victim of the injury bug, leaving the club with no healthy right back on the entire roster. Any hopes of seeing Hibbert finally score his first goal will yet again be dashed. Phil Jagielka and Seamus Coleman continue to be out and may be held out of the match as they attempt to get healthy for next season's campaign.

The Final Word

Saying this season has been a disappointment would be an understatement. However, Martinez is gone, a new and hopefully better regime will be in charge next season and the hopes of a sizable transfer kitty lend us optimism. The goal of this match should be to see off a trio of fantastic club ambassadors with a win. The player's may have given up on playing for the manager, but they should at least put forth an effort for their teammates and send them off in style.

Predicted Starting XI: Howard, Baines, Funes Mori, Stones, Pennington, Barry, McCarthy, Pienaar, Osman, Miallas, Lukaku

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back