Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hodgson snubs Everton pair as he rings in the changes via Royal Blue Mersey

517858588.0.jpg

Barkley and Stones still don’t get a look-in

England manager Roy Hodgson has made six changes to his England side to face Slovakia in the crucial Gameday Three of group play at the Euro 2016 tournament. However, the only two outfield players who made the trip to France and yet to be used are both from Everton – Ross Barkley and John Stones.

Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy, Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Nathaniel Clyne and Ryan Bertrand are all in the Three Lions starting XI tonight but both Barkley and Stones are getting the snub from Hodgson.

#SVKENG pic.twitter.com/kLVS2KHxOM

— Henry Winter (@henrywinter) June 20, 2016

England lead Group B with four points from two games, one ahead of Wales and Slovakia, with Russia in fourth with just one point. While qualification for the knockout rounds is virtually assured, a win would ensure the English will not have to take on any of the other group winners in their next game.

Both Barkley and Stones have been a subject of some of the first few conversations Everton manager Ronald Koeman has had with the press.

Regarding the midfielder, Koeman said –

“He’s already a key player for Everton, even at a young age. I look forward to working with him and making him a better player.

“I like him as a player because he is good with his left foot, right foot and has a good view of the pitch. But he needs to improve, he is not just a talent any more he is a national team player and expectations are strong.

“We will give him every support. It is about building a good relationship with the players, showing them what they have to do to improve. It starts in the morning and finishes in the evening.”

He also mentioned Stones as a player he would like to keep at the Blues and work with –

“I like to help everybody and of course you sometimes have something more because he played in the same position as me.

“There will be good support for the boy but first I want to speak to him personally, get his feelings and that will be what we do.

“It’s not so difficult. I had that experience in my last two years always a lot of interest in the players.

“First of all we like to keep these types of players. You don’t sell you best players but I’ll have meetings and we’ll see what happens.”

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Kenwright reveals Moshiri’s vision for Everton via Royal Blue Mersey

515101314.0.jpg

Owner has three-pronged target for the club

Everton majority owner Farhad Moshiri has mostly kept to himself since acquiring a 49.9% stake in the club. Aside from a few comments in a match programme a couple of months ago, he has said little publicly about his personal aspirations or what he has envisioned for the Toffees.

Club Chairman Bill Kenwright has taken on the spokesman role for the Iranian financier, from announcing the decision to let Roberto Martinez go, to the appointment of new manager Ronald Koeman.

Earlier today, Kenwright spoke again for Moshiri, this time revealing what the owner has in mind for the Blues.

“Farhad absolutely has a vision for this football club. It involves the Champions League and a new stadium.

“Is he going Roman Abramovic? No, I think that model is sort of gone, but he absolutely looks at Everton as his big adventure.

“I know my Everton, he knows the world game. Ask him about (Andriy) Yarmolenko – and that’s not a hint! – and he’ll say how he knows him inside out and backwards.

“He has been looking at football for his big adventure and met a lot of clubs and found the beating heart he was looking for in Everton.”

Kenwright also went on to talk about the Director of Football concept which Moshiri is said to want for the Blues.

“What I have picked up in the last four weeks is it is an important role and if done right it can add to a football club.

“It is modern football and if you get the right one it is a big plus. We are talking to various Directors of Football and Ronald (Koeman) has worked with a lot of them. He will embrace that, as well as the Everton way.

“So I would have thought yes, we are leaning towards appointing a Director of Football but Ronald has to be part of that process. Various first rate people have been mentioned."

The highest profile of those so far has been Sevilla’s Director of Football, Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo, commonly known as Monchi. A former goalkeeper, Monchi was appointed to his post in 2000 with two objectives: developing the club's youth system and implementing a scouting network within and outside Spain.

Their youth policy has been an unmitigated success, with numerous players (Alberto Moreno, Jesús Navas, Sergio Ramos, José Antonio Reyes) coming through the ranks and either staying at the club or being sold for vast profit.

He also established a system with over 700 scouts worldwide charged with identifying upcoming talent. Adriano, Dani Alves, Júlio Baptista, Federico Fazio, Seydou Keita and Ivan Rakitić are all products of that network, garnering a profit of over €200 million for the club, who have now won five Europa League trophies, including the last three consecutive tournaments. During his tenure, Los Rojiblancos have also won two Copa del Rey trophies and ten top-six finishes in the last fifteen years since the club came back up from the second division.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Argentina’s Ramiro Funes Mori returns to his boyhood in Texas to play USA via The Guardian

The Everton defender – known as ‘the yankee’ after spending his early career in America – will be on familiar ground facing the US in the Copa América semi-final

Most of the Argentina players who face USA in Tuesday’s Copa América semi-finals are part of the generation who were kids when the country suffered its economic collapse at the start of the century. But the game is particularly special for one of them: Ramiro Funes Mori lived in Texas for eight years and grew up as an American.

At the beginning of 2001, Argentina’s economic crisis left many families’ finances in ruins. Queues at foreign consulates were so long that people would wait in lines all night, hoping to get the magic number to apply for a European passport.

Related: Argentina's great tactical dilemma: where should Lionel Messi play?

Related: How exactly do USA beat Argentina in the Copa América semi-final?

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton given boost as Lukaku’s agent admits departure might be difficult via Royal Blue Mersey

541034602.0.jpg

Mino Raiola reveals potential problems in departing Everton this summer

In a break from all the bad news this offseason with regards to the future of Romelu Lukaku departing Everton for bigger clubs it looks like his agent, Mino Raiola, has put some reality – and hope – into the rumors.

When asked about interest from other clubs he conceded that a move would need to be right for all parties including Everton. He also admitted that Everton are no longer money starved and will not sell to the first bid they receive.

He also confirmed that currently no team in Serie A could afford him at this time and with teams like Bayern Munich and PSG currently employing strikers it seems unlikely they would jump this offseason even though the agent would love their interest.

It’s really down to just a handful of teams with huge pockets that would be of interest to Lukaku and now the question is can those teams make a large enough bid to draw Everton into a deal.

Another aspect that Raiola addressed was the hiring of new manager Ronald Koeman. Speaking to Sportwereld, Raiola said:

"Everton don't need the money anymore but Romelu wants to play for a club that can win trophies. [However] something's changed at Everton. There's a new project. If he leaves, it has to be a good deal for all parties."

It’s unclear what Lukaku thinks of the new manager, but based on those comments and the statement of Everton’s finances perhaps they realize his best short term future maybe another season with Everton and a better finish than the 2015/2016 season. Though If Everton can’t make European football once more then surely Lukaku would be on his way.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Romelu Lukaku’s Agent Backtracks Over Everton Comments via NSNO

Romelu Lukaku's agent, Mino Raiola, has seemingly back-tracked over comments that the Everton striker is certain to leave the club this summer.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Euro 2016: starts times, TV schedule, radio and live stream for Tuesday/Group C and D via Royal Blue Mersey

540785176.0.jpg

Germany v N. Ireland, Ukraine v Poland, Croatia v Spain, Czech Republic v Turkey

There are only two days of Euro group play left in the competition. Today, the focus shifts to groups C and D, which includes the last two World Cup champions: Germany in Group C and Spain in Group D.

Here is how Group C stands heading into action…

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-20%20at%209.16.05%20PM.png
UEFA

Northern Ireland vs. Germany

Match Details

Date and Time: Tuesday, June 21 at 12:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Parc des Princes, Paris, France

Capacity: 49,691

How to Watch

TV: ESPN, ESPN Deportes – US

BBC One, BBC Northern Ireland – UK

Radio: ESPN Deportes, SiriusXM FC – US

BBC Radio 5, TalkSport Radio – UK

Live stream: ESPN3, Watch ESPN App, BBC iPlayer

Ukraine vs. Poland

Match Details

Date and Time: Tuesday, June 21 at 12:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade Velodrome, Marseille, France

Capacity: 67,394

How to Watch

TV: ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes – US

BBC Red Button – UK

TalkSport Radio – UK

Live stream: ESPN3, Watch ESPN App

And here is Group D…

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-20%20at%209.16.19%20PM.png
UEFA

Croatia vs. Spain

Match Details

Date and Time: Tuesday, June 21 at 3:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade de Bordeaux, Boardeaux, France

Capacity: 42,115

How to Watch

ITV 1, STV Scotland – UK

Live stream: ESPN3, Watch ESPN App, ITV Hub

Czech Republic vs. Turkey

Match Details

Date and Time: Tuesday, June 21 at 3:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade Bollaert-Delelis, Lens Agglo, France

Capacity: 38,223

How to Watch

ITV 4, STV Scotland – UK

TalkSport Radio, BBC Radio 5 Live Extra – UK

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Copa America semi-final: United States vs Argentina start time, TV schedule and live stream for Tuesday via Royal Blue Mersey

usa-today-9341405.0.jpg

This is for a spot in the Copa final! Kick-off is 9 p.m. EST in the US.

This is the biggest international soccer/football game on US soil in quite some time. The Americans are huge underdogs to tournament favorites Argentina. Plus, three of the Yanks starters (Bobby Wood, Ale Badoya amd Jermaine Jones) are suspended, so it is an uphill battle.

Argentina is one of the few “big” teams to really try in this competition. Lionel Messi and his mates really want to win this and get their country their first senior squad trophy since 1993. The only hurdle to the final matchup with Colombia or Chile is a greatly-weakened US side.

Everton player alert! Ramiro Funes Mori will again be in the Argentine lineup. He is back in Texas, the state he lived in for six years as a young man.

Find out more about @funesmoriofi25's upbringing in the United States here: https://t.co/FO9XT5xu2g

— Everton (@everton) June 21, 2016

To the game info…

United States vs. Argentina

Match Details

Date and Time: Tuesday, June 21 at 9:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: NRG Stadium, Houston, Texas, United States

Capacity: 71,500 (and it’s a sell out)

How to Watch

TV: Fox Sports 1, Univision – US

Premier Sports – UK

Live stream: fuboTV, Fox Sports GO, Fox Soccer 2GO, Univision

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Tough pre-season awaits Everton players in early July via Royal Blue Mersey

500052822.0.jpg

Boot camp level adversity coming up

Most of the Everton squad are expected back at Finch Farm in early July, and the players are going to be in for a rude shock. Veterans who were around during the David Moyes years will be reminded of the training regimen that new manager Ronald Koeman is developing along with assistant Erwin Koeman and fitness coach Jan Kluitenberg.

Erwin Koeman spoke with the Liverpool Echo about the training sessions coming up –

“You have a way of working and a way of thinking of how you want to play the games.

“That is to be a better footballer, that you perform and you know what you need to win games.

“If this is enjoyable as well then it is a plus!

“But first of all it is about understanding how we like to play.

“We like to play in an attractive, attacking way. We know that sometimes it isn’t always possible but our view of the game is to get the ball and play with it.”

He also shed some more light on the personality of his brother Ronald, and his approach to the sport.

“It is unique because I am not only Ronald’s brother and his assistant but he can trust me.

“That is the most important thing for a manager.

“We think the same about football but in other things we are different.

“But that can be good!

“Ronald is very experienced in football, as a player and a manager, and has worked a few times overseas.

“That has allowed him to learn different cultures and that makes you better as a coach.

“We as a technical staff work well as a team and Ronald has chosen good people to have around him.

“He gives us space to do what we need to do on the pitch and it is important that we think on the same level.”

Everton are expected to name their goalkeeping coach this week, as well as fill out any other positions within the coaching unit.

Player fitness has been a big issue over the last couple of years at Finch Farm, and it is hoped that with the firing of Roberto Martinez and his staff this can be resolved.Here’s a story from David Moyes’ time at the Toffees, as recounted by then-captain Phil Neville to the Liverpool Echo three years ago in 2013 –

Neville recalls the scene as he explains why the Scot, who marks his 10th anniversary at Goodison next week, is a genuine master of his trade.

“It’s a run called The Horse Shoe and it’s my nemesis,” he says. “It fills me with dread and I never want to do it again.

“I’ll never forget when we first did it. We’d had a poor-ish start to the season, and a few lads were on international break. Me and Mikel (Arteta) came in and the gaffer said, ‘Right, Horse Shoe today’.

“Afterwards Mikel was feeling dizzy and laid down on the floor of the dressing room. I was bent over cursing in the corner calling him the worst manager in the league. But he came in, saw that, and said ‘We’ll be alright from now on’ and we were.

“His method is to push you to your limits in training and then the match is easy. Everyone finished the run – it’s like Army boot camp. If there was ever a time I thought, ‘I could probably shoot you today’, it was then.”

Neville describes how Moyes builds togetherness by putting his squad through boot-camp style adversity.

“It’s a run that sorts out the men from the boys,” he grimaces. “On the fifth or sixth lap he’ll throw in a player from his Preston days and he’ll say ‘He used to p**s this’. He gets inside your head.

“On the penultimate lap he always say if you make your time on this one, you don’t have to do the last one. So every single one of the group you’re running in has to make their times from last year."

“Once I was coming to the last bend and my legs went. I was out in front but Lukas Jutkiewicz and Louis Saha caught up and probably carried me the final few metres.

“He always makes you do the last one anyway.”

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

The Irish win Euro 2016, off the field via Royal Blue Mersey

541026452.0.jpg

Some of the best behaved traveling fans in the world of football

No matter how the Republic of Ireland perform on the pitch during the Euro 2016 competition, the country as a whole will be winners in the public consciousness after the legendary acts of their traveling fans.

While supporters of countries like Russia, England and Croatia are quickly gaining notoriety wherever in France they travel, the Irish are a jolly lot who are spreading happiness and cheer as they follow their team around the country.

Here’s a group of them serenading a French woman with a drunken rendition of Frankie Valli’s classic “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You”.

Speaking of serenading, here’s another bunch expressing their undying love for the French police who had stepped in expecting to quell a riot.

The Irish and Swedish fans were the picture of international diplomacy before their game, singing ABBA’s classic “Dancing Queen” together.

This French man who lives above an Irish pub called ‘The Harp’ got a bit more than he could handle with this crowd.

And where you have the Irish, God is never far behind. Here they are again leading this nun in Our Lord’s Prayer.

They’re also forming some of the longest conga lines you will ever see, football game or not.

Irish fans form a giant conga line in Bordeaux! #COYBIG #EURO2016 pic.twitter.com/aBXJLJmsqs

— Dave O'Grady (@DaveOGrady1) June 17, 2016

Day or night, rain or shine, the Irish fans never stop singing (or drinking).

Not only are the fans drinking and having a good time, they’re also doing something almost unheard of – they’re cleaning up after themselves!

And to top it off, here are some Irish fans closing down the party at night, singing drunken lullabies to a child on the train.

We wish the Republic of Ireland team and their fans all the very best. Everton after all have been staunch supporters of the Irish team with the Toffees making up five of their squad – Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy, Aiden McGeady and Darron Gibson, while Shane Duffy is a former Blue (hopefully they can forgive and forget McCarthy’s wretched form in the meantime).

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Euro 2016: starts times, TV schedule, radio and live stream for Wednesday/Group E and F via Royal Blue Mersey

541030546.0.jpg

Iceland v Austria, Hungary v Portugal, Sweden v Belgium, Ireland v Italy

It is the final day of group play in Euro 2016 and it is make or break for a number of big international names where they need a result or they can kiss this competition goodbye.

Sweden’s Zlatan Imbrahimovic has announced he will retire from international duty at the conclusion of his team’s tournament. They currently sit in fourth place of Group F with one point and a -1 goal differential. Anything but a win against Belgium sends them home.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal have been a disappointment in what looked to be the Euros weakest group. Ronaldo himself is to blame for some of it. His missed PK against Austria cost the team three points and a spot in the knockout round. Today, they must get something from the match with Hungary to have a chance to advance.

Everton has three more current senior players in action. Romelu Lukaku, who now looks like he may spend another year on Merseyside, suits up for Belgium after his brace against Ireland last week. They need a point against a Swedish team trying to stay alive.

The Irish will again have Seamus Coleman and James McCarthy, but don’t be surprised if McCarthy is on the bench. He has had a pretty terrible tournament and they need attacking talent (maybe Aiden McGeady?) because their tournament is over if they don’t win over group leaders Italy.

Onto the games…

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2011.30.40%20PM.png
UEFA

Iceland vs. Austria

Match Details

Date and Time: Wednesday, June 22 at 12:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France

Capacity: 81,338

How to Watch

BBC Red Button – UK

TalkSport Radio – UK

Hungary vs. Portugal

Match Details

Date and Time: Wednesday, June 22 at 12:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade de Lyon, Lyon, France

Capacity: 59,186

How to Watch

BBC Red Button – UK

TalkSport Radio, BBC Radio 5 – UK

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2011.30.55%20PM.png
UEFA

Sweden vs. Belgium

Match Details

Date and Time: Wednesday, June 22 at 3:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade de Nice, Nice, France

Capacity: 35,624

How to Watch

STV Scotland, ITV 4 UK – UK

TalkSport Radio – UK

Italy vs. Ireland

Match Details

Date and Time: Wednesday, June 22 at 3:00 p.m. EST in USA

Stadium: Stade Pierre Mauroy, Lille-Metropole, France

Capacity: 50,186

How to Watch

ITV 1 UK, STV Scotland – UK

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton appoint Patrick Lodewijks as goalkeepers coach via Royal Blue Mersey

93390594.0.jpg

A former teammate and member of his Feyenoord staff

Ronald Koeman has said that he would possibly refrain from raiding Southampton for players and staff. As a result, he was unable to bring the Saints goalkeeping coach David Watson with him, but instead he has gone further into his past from during his time in the Dutch Eredivisie league.

Everton have now filled the vacant goalkeeping coach position with Patrick Lodewijks. The former goalkeeper spent 20 years in the Eredivisie as a player playing for three teams – PSV Eindhoven, Groningen and Feyenoord.

He has since transitioned to coaching and spent time as the goalkeepers coach, U-21 assistant coach and the U-21 manager with Feyenoord over the last nine seasons. Lodewijks also acted as goalkeepers coach for the Netherlands team during the time after the 2014 World Cup with the departure of Louis Van Gaal and his goalkeepers coach Frans Hoek, who both went to Manchester United.

Lodewijks will be facing potentially a challenging task as Everton currently is only staffed with Joel Robles on the senior team. It’s likely the Blues look to a more experienced first team option during this transfer window. That would be the easy answer for the coach in trying to work with an established keeper. The other possibility is Everton is forced to sign a player not clearly better than Robles and Koeman and Lodwijks might struggle to establish the number one and win games quickly.

Koeman has his staff largely filled out and Everton appear to be continuing the search for a Director of Football. Once those are done it should be full steam ahead for addressing the roster and building the 2016/2017 Everton team.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Everton agree release clause for midfielder via Royal Blue Mersey

485180770.0.jpg

Toffees set to pay £5.8m for Wesley Sneijder

Everton have met the release clause for Galatasaray midfielder Wesley Sneijder, according to reports in Turkey.

It’s claimed Everton are willing to pay in the region of £5.8m to bring the Netherlands midfielder to Goodison Park.

New Everton manager Ronald Koeman worked with Sneijder during the playmaker’s early career in Ajax, so a resumption of that relationship may be key to sealing the deal.

Galatasaray are keen to offload Sneijder this summer to lower their wage bill and reduce their losses. The Istanbul-based club are currently serving a two-year ban from European competition for breaching Financial Fair Play regulations.

Sneijder has made nearly 150 appearances for Galatasaray since joining from Inter Milan in the summer of 2012 and had been linked with a move to the Premier League for a while.

At 32 there is no doubt his best years are behind him, but his experience and undoubted talent could prove invaluable for the club’s younger players, not least Ross Barkley.

It is the kind of big-name statement signing that may persuade other players to join the Everton revolution.

Plus at £5.8m it would not be a signifiant outlay, even though Sneijder would command hefty wages. Take it as an exotic upgrade on Leon Osman.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back